Why become a member? ×

Gig Calendar at the Marquee

toneknob

Just found this:

[url="http://www.themarqueeclub.net/calendar"]http://www.themarqueeclub.net/calendar[/url]

...a diary of gigs at the Marquee from the mid-60s to the late 80s. Mind-boggling stuff. Which gigs were you at?

I like this, here's September 1982:

Wed 22 Twelfth Night
Sat 25 Marillion
Sun 26 Marillion/Pendragon
Mon 27 Genesis
Tue 28 Marillion
Wed 29 Marillion
Thu 30 Marillion

Summer of '76, the Monday night residency by AC/DC.

I caught four of them on the trot, routinely getting sprayed with Angus-sweat.

Monday 21st March 1977, debut appearance for Australian band Strapps.

I've never forgotten that gig. It was quite simply the loudest gig I have ever attended, and (like most of you) I've attended some pretty bloody loud gigs.

July '77, can't remember the date (not surprising, really) but seeing The Damned (spelled correctly!) was the last-ever punk gig I went to.

There's only so much being-gobbed-on that a boy can take.

What that extraordinary list really does for me is to underline just how many great acts I never bothered to go and see. :(

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1379446517' post='2212889']
....what were you called mate?....
[/quote]
We were called Hot Club.

A cross between Dave Edmonds, Chuck Berry and Eric Clapton. We were on the same bill on some Surrey/Hants gigs and he asked us to join him. He had Alan Fish on bass at the time.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1379428996' post='2212581']
My band supported Dumpy at the Marquee a couple of times at the end of the 80's.
[/quote]

The Band I was in supported Dumpy at the Mardi Gras pub/club in Nottingham in 1985....Massive PA (filled the back of an Artic' truck with their gear!) in a tiny venue.
They were really nice guys,gave us a full sound check and made us sound awesome for the gig.
One of my favourite memories!

I remember the Mardi Gras well Ray, went there a lot in '87 as I was doing revues for a student paper (though I'd graduated by then) and was living in the meadows so could walk there easily any night and had a year long free press pass. On the rare occasions I'm down that way these days and pass the building (usually on the way to the vat & fiddle) I wonder if there's any remnants of the club still under there.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1379458315' post='2213063']
We were called Hot Club.

A cross between Dave Edmonds, Chuck Berry and Eric Clapton. We were on the same bill on some Surrey/Hants gigs and he asked us to join him. He had Alan Fish on bass at the time.
[/quote]

Rings a bell actually - I mainly used to hang out down the Cartoon in Croydon; always used to chat to Dumpy down there - lovely chap; he always used to have his birthday party there and dress in a Tutu :D

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1379504308' post='2213391']
....Rings a bell actually - I mainly used to hang out down the Cartoon in Croydon....
[/quote]

Ah, the Cartoon. Never stand still on the carpet or you'd stick to the floor!!

We played the Cartoon for years. Sunday lunchtimes, when it was the small room, then weekend evenings when they expanded into the shop next door.