Why become a member? ×

Massive Ampeg fail! Soundgarden last night, were you there?

stingrayPete1977

Anyone else see the drama at the Soundgarden gig last night? I had a scoot on youtube amazed to actually find the moment Ben gave his P bass away, Lol.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OunDwc_3m_8[/media]

For non fans the amp went as they started their most popular song Rusty cage only for it to go sh*t shaped for Jesus Christ Pose a joint classic that most of the crowd were waiting for!

I have a feeling there is a sound guy with an Ampeg sized lump after insertion of at least one of the faulty heads up his anus, yep second head lasted all of a song. Anyone get a clearer view of what went wrong was it actually both heads or a faulty lead/pedal etc? either way he was having trouble a few songs earlier when I think most of us here would have wanted the spare head putting on [u]between[/u] songs with a fresh set of leads just to be certain. Not a happy bunny by all accounts and he had the best sound for the last few songs once by the sounds of things they routed his pedals into the desk which as many of you know I have been touting as the best method for many years, all this my sound mic'd 1x10 cack can and does lead to giving away nice P basses :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1379250044' post='2210263']
Hmmm... sounds like a rigging fail....and wonder if the crew got the bass back..???
If you are going to have two amps up, then have two amps UP.

But I guess the moral of the story is.... if Ampeg, get 3...!! :lol:
[/quote]

I didnt see it get passed back and I was quite close, I actually took a picture of them playing with no bassist for this at the time imaginary thread but no point really is there with [i]that [/i]clip? Funny if it had been handed to Big Red X, he would have given it back, bloody P bass,:lol:

Losing his amp/amps shouldn't have been an issue.

DI split into amp and that is his Bass monitor sorted whilst side fills and wedges should have bass as well.
That is the way I set up my sound.... I like the xtra the mons can give, but since they are already there in the stage sound, ....
a quick nod to the Mon engr and that problem would have been sorted ...before it got silly..

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1379250505' post='2210278']
But surely if your using an Ampeg at least half the point is the sound of the valves? Therefore it would make little sense to DI before the amp.
[/quote]
Come on your just being a pedant, you know that at a gig like that the crew could just mic the cab and mix it in or in this case boost the Di until the head was swapped between songs. Best of both worlds, see what happens if you dont!

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1379251268' post='2210295']
Thought they'd have got on with a direct DI then sorted the rig after ?

Ok, we are not soundgarden, but i did a dep gig with a rock band at a small festival, and one of the guitarists new expensive blackstar amp failed, its very frustrating.
[/quote]
They swapped to faulty Ampeg number two first, then another hissy fit, eventually came out for the encores which sounded like into the desk to me and much clearer than it had all night, lots of drive from a pedal of some sort, juicy!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1379251602' post='2210309']
[color=#282828]
[size=3][b]
wateroftyne, on 15 September 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:[/b][/size][size=3]

Not much use if both of the Ampegs ain't working.[/size]Fixed :lol:[/color]
[/quote]

[color=#282828]Fixed [/color] :lol:

It's odd, I thought the usual thing in pro sound would be to run a DI before the amp in addition to miking the speaker. Surely if they'd been doing that, the sound guys could have turned up the DI fader to FOH and put some in the sidefills within seconds of the amp going down? I wonder if the Soundgarden bassist is one of these guys who is unusually insistent about not having a DI there at all?

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1379258103' post='2210427']
I was there,was a fair bit off to the side about halfway down the crowd though so didn't get a brilliant view of what was going on (other than having a face like thunder on him for the last few numbers then throwing his bass over his shoulder and storming off at the end).
[/quote]
I enjoyed the gig overall did you? Do you agree the bass had better clarity after they gave up on the ampegs? The guy with the ricky in the support band didnt cut through much where we were stood either so maybe some engineer/venue fail too?

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1379259042' post='2210445']
It's odd, I thought the usual thing in pro sound would be to run a DI before the amp in addition to miking the speaker. Surely if they'd been doing that, the sound guys could have turned up the DI fader to FOH and put some in the sidefills within seconds of the amp going down? I wonder if the Soundgarden bassist is one of these guys who is unusually insistent about not having a DI there at all?
[/quote]
Its all a bit odd isn't it? Lets see if that p bass ends up on here or ebay too :D

When Skunk Anansie played at Brighton Dome earlier this year Cass' bass rig was having issues, again an all-valve head with mic'ed cab. However he DOES DI before the amp as well so despite him having a gig he's probably rather forget he just got on with it and the sound out front was still awesome :)