Why become a member? ×

Massive Ampeg fail! Soundgarden last night, were you there?

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1379750769' post='2216375']
I think that is exactly who you blame if you have no bass out front... and on stage for that matter.
[/quote]

Did you read the part in my post about the DI? And [i]how[/i] can you possibly blame the sound crew if your amp fails?

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1379251268' post='2210295']
Thought they'd have got on with a direct DI then sorted the rig after ?

Ok, we are not soundgarden, but i did a dep gig with a rock band at a small festival, and one of the guitarists new expensive blackstar amp failed, its very frustrating.
[/quote]
I was in a band where the two guitarists both had Blackstar amps.... Guitarist 1's amp failed after half an hour, that's 30 minutes of HOME USE after purchase, replacement lasted a little bit longer. Amp 3 lasted a while before he sold it. Guitarist 2's amp packed up at first rehearsal, replacement is still in use as far as I know. Why people buy them, I'll never know. Funny thing is, when I was playing with hem, they were always telling me I needed a new amp. My reply was "my amp's 30 years old, yours struggle to last 30 minutes"

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1379750769' post='2216375']
I think that is exactly who you blame if you have no bass out front... and on stage for that matter.
[/quote]
I'm with JT, he was having trouble before the total loss for a few songs from where I was stood, even if I was doing the sound for free down the youth club I'd have stepped in between songs to either swap the head or put a di in place just in case it went off totally. The only way it would be the bass players fault in this case would be if Ben had told them in no way was he prepared to play the gig with anything other than the cab mic'd off the ampeg.

The backline crew are responsible for maintaining backline gear! Its ultimately their responsibility, not the sound crew! But, like I said, there should have been a DI - provided by the sound crew - before the amp. That way, if a double or triple-redundant rig fails, at least the DId signal goes to monitors and FOH!!

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1379754628' post='2216414']
Did you read the part in my post about the DI? And [i]how[/i] can you possibly blame the sound crew if your amp fails?
[/quote]

Yep..it is their job to get the sound delivered to where it needs to go.
Having an amp fail isn't an option...and they had a backup, apparently. It may well happen but it shouldn't matter in the grand scheme
of things in getting the bass out front or on stage.

Anything more than a tech spending a few seconds on it is a total fail...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1379842017' post='2217180']
Yep..it is their job to get the sound delivered to where it needs to go.
Having an amp fail isn't an option...and they had a backup, apparently. It may well happen but it shouldn't matter in the grand scheme
of things in getting the bass out front or on stage.

Anything more than a tech spending a few seconds on it is a total fail...
[/quote]

The sound guys cannot be held responsible for backline gear failing; that is the domain of the the backline techs! That said, if there was no DI before the amp rigs, then the person who made that choice, whether it be one of the sound-crew or the bassist himself, is the one to blame. I have never, in all my days, heard of sound crew being responsible for backline fails!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1379259042' post='2210445']
It's odd, I thought the usual thing in pro sound would be to run a DI before the amp in addition to miking the speaker. Surely if they'd been doing that, the sound guys could have turned up the DI fader to FOH and put some in the sidefills within seconds of the amp going down? I wonder if the Soundgarden bassist is one of these guys who is unusually insistent about not having a DI there at all?
[/quote]

THIS is how it should have gone! There is clearly a monitor in front of the bassist and, in-ears or not, he would have been getting some of his sound down those from the DI/monitor desk feed. The fact that there was no bass after the amps went down points to no DI. Bad call, whoever made that choice!

[quote name='bramleyapple' timestamp='1379885714' post='2217952']
I was at the gig I saw a Mesa rig next to the ampeg rig would they not of just used that?
[/quote]
[quote name='bramleyapple' timestamp='1379885714' post='2217952']
I was at the gig I saw a Mesa rig next to the ampeg rig would they not of just used that?
[/quote]
Very odd wasn't it? was it just stage dressing to create the wall for the bass tech to work behind I wonder?

I would love to know exactly what bit went sh*t shaped, I know he is a pro and all that but at what point do you just put a lead into the Ampeg or Mesa and put a Di out to the desk for FOH? I can be certain any bass would have sounded better than the no bass we had for Jesus Christ Pose and Rusty cage :(

He certainly is a big bugger. He also seems to have changed quite a bit over the years.
He used to come across as a big friendly giant, now he's bloody intimidating!

I was thinking last night that I've seen more amps failing at gigs this year than in any other year I can remember, And I've seen a lot less gigs this year.
Dinosaur Jr in Feb, One of Lou Barlow's Marshalls died
Dinosaur Jr in Sept. One of J Mascis' Marshalls died
Soundgarden in Sept. 2 Ampegs

It's only 4 amps in about 30 bands I've seen this year, but last year I didn't see a single amp die in well over 100 bands

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1380016830' post='2219449']
It must be your fault then :D
[/quote]

:lol:

I'll test that theory next week when I see UFOMammut, but I'd rather not kill their Matamps... :unsure:

EDIT: Thinking about it, at the gigs this year where amps have failed I've been standing at the back!!

Edited by bartelby