Why become a member? ×

What to do - can't be doing with 5'ers anymore!

Greggo

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1379186287' post='2209686']
But what is a "regular type" of music? Jazz? Prog Rock? Electronica? Pop?
A lot of styles can make good use of a 6 string bass when it's in the right hands (just as with a 4 string).
I used to play in a folk band (use the term "folk" very loosely there) & there was a couple of songs that having a high C would have made the bassline that bit easier than having to reach for the 24th fret on the G.
[/quote]

Exactly.

If your playing and musical styles dictate that a 5 or 6 string makes things easier, then so be it.
If your playing and musical styles dictate that a 4 string is all you need, then so be it.

I happily swap between 4/5/6 string instruments as and when I [b]need[/b] to in order to add the appropriate degree of musical flexibility within the piece I'm playing.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1379188180' post='2209708']
I happily swap between 4/5/6 string instruments as and when I [b]need[/b] to in order to add the appropriate degree of musical flexibility within the piece I'm playing.
[/quote]

Thhp! :P[size=4] [/size][size=4] Don't give me that. Do you [i]really [/i]need a 6-string to play 'The Wombling Song'? I don't think so. ;)[/size]

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1379190096' post='2209740']
I find if that with the right tuning on a 5 or 6 string I can play most of my set on open strings and I struggle to do that on a 4 stringer
[/quote]

Now we're talking, and here is where the 13-string bass comes in: a whopping whole octave, and what in the old days used to be called the "fretting hand", can now just concentrate on keeping the neck in the coolest of angles.
It's a win win win win win win win win win win win win win situation.

A 5 string is a 4 string, with an extra string :D.

Just makes everything easier in my mind, don't have to move about so much, muuuuuuuuuch better when following charts 'cos everything from a low F up to a high E is right there under your fingers without having to move.

The only time I play a 4 string is when the gig requires it, I wouldn't turn up for a blues gig dep with any of my 5's or 6's, I dust off my trusty Pino P bass :D, some band leaders are a tad fussy.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1379171192' post='2209460']
Sold a schecter 5 string recently . Loved it , but seeing I had too many basses and it was the only 5 er, it had to go.Since then, I started tuning my steinberger bass to B-E-A-D. Quite like it so far. Amazing how little I use the G playing rock covers . In hindsight, I wish I was playing this way years ago.
[/quote]
A stroke of genius there. wish I'd thought of that. Do you use 5 string strings and throw the G out? Do the pups respond ok?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1379176312' post='2209537']
I'm sure someone has a Billy Sheehan quote in their sig? Something like: Interviewer "have you thought about playing a 5 string?", Billy "You should only play a 5 after you've spent a bit of time on a 4", Interviewer "how long's that?", Billy "at least 20 years".

I've been on a 4 for almost 30 years. :)
[/quote]

So that means it takes at least 20 years of playing bass before playing 6 string guitar? : )

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1379194587' post='2209798']

A stroke of genius there. wish I'd thought of that. Do you use 5 string strings and throw the G out? Do the pups respond ok?
[/quote]

It's the same principle exactly . I haven't got a B string(see my other thread). Sound is the same. As the Steinbergers neck is graphite there is little risk of neck problem.
However, If you were to try the same thing on an ordinary bass, I would suggest you take it to a tech and have truss rod adjusted and a new nut put on .

To the OP. You should appreciate it. : )

Ode To The Five String Bass

(My apologies in advance to my 5 string loving brothers)

There once was a time, when 4 strings were fine, and an E was as low as you’d go.

But the desire to go deeper, turned out to be a “keeper” and they added a B – as you know.

I too joined the crowd, the mantra was so loud “The five is the one that will last.”

But after many a gig, trying vainly to go big, my love of the B was soon past.

The notes didn’t speak with the clarity that I‘d seek. And I found that I’d use it less and less.

It just got in the way, I keep thinking an E was an A, Till finally asking… is this for the best?

It wasn’t for James or Jaco or Chris. Victor Wooton and Steve Harris never fell.

Jeff Berlin said “Nay” and hoped it’d just go away and Sir Paul would eschew it as well.

The Ox took a stand, amid the demands – an did John Paul Jones and Flea.

Rocco didn’t veer and Sting just sneered -- unimpressed -- as was Pino and Lee

Claypool went back, and accepted the fact -- it was good enough for Bootsy and Clarke

As did Osborne and Kaye, heading the way, and forever making their mark.

Then again, there was Anthony, who played mighty fancifully -- with even more strings than six!

Yet there are those, who still propose...he should stick to a four and a pick.

Of course there’s a case, within the right space, to add some well placed low “D’s”

But these days if that’s needed, I’ve finally conceded – I’ll just play it on the god damn keys.

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1379165624' post='2209351']
I recently after exclusively owning and playing 5ers for years swapped one for a 4 string and quite frankly I much prefer them. I worked out I don't go much beyond D anyway and prefer the string spacing of a 4, especially on the yamaha BB414 which has a fairly slim neck anyway (but not too thin). I have a Vintage EST96 stingray clone in 5 string form which I used to love playing but since having a 4 again I just think I would like it more if it had one string less!

Bit of a quandary because I would love to just do a straight swap for a 4. I don't know whether to keep it in case I get the urge for 5 strings again or just change it so I have two basses I'm happier with.

Anyone gone through this conundrum before?
[/quote]
The question is rhetorical. You know what the correct course of action is...but want affirmation from others that it's the right thing to do.

Go with your instincts.

I had a 5 string.... I tried hard to love it, but just couldn't.

I've never needed to go below D for a song, so found it easier to quickly drop tune anyhow. So my 5 string sat unused and unloved.

So a couple of weeks ago I sold it and put the money towards my dream bass an Ibanez SR1000..... Best decision I've made so far!!

In other 5 string news, my bass teacher has a 5 string Sei bass with a high C rather than a Low B.... That is quite a thing of beauty :P