Why become a member? ×

What to do - can't be doing with 5'ers anymore!

Greggo

I recently after exclusively owning and playing 5ers for years swapped one for a 4 string and quite frankly I much prefer them. I worked out I don't go much beyond D anyway and prefer the string spacing of a 4, especially on the yamaha BB414 which has a fairly slim neck anyway (but not too thin). I have a Vintage EST96 stingray clone in 5 string form which I used to love playing but since having a 4 again I just think I would like it more if it had one string less!

Bit of a quandary because I would love to just do a straight swap for a 4. I don't know whether to keep it in case I get the urge for 5 strings again or just change it so I have two basses I'm happier with.

Anyone gone through this conundrum before?

Sounds very similar to me. I played a MM stingray 5 for years. I took a rest from playing and sold the stingray. Since getting back into it I have been happy with a 4 string jazz. Until lately!

Now I have GAS for a five string again! doh. The band I am playing in at the moment has a few numbers that I would really like to play below D in. ggrr.

I dont want to sell the jazz bass but I really want a five string and am skint!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1379166760' post='2209370']
Five strings basses are immoral, unholy and the work of the devil!
Welcome back to the natural light and love of God's own four-stringers. :sun_bespectacled:

*Ponces about* Hello clouds! Hello sky! La-la-la! La-la! :D
[/quote]

I do feel like a proper bass player again now ;) I did once get heckled by my guitarists uncle for being a cheat having a 5er..

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1379166891' post='2209374']
I did once get heckled by my guitarists uncle for being a cheat having a 5er...
[/quote]

Your guitarist's uncle was quite right to do so.
Five-string players are the sort of people who would take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time.

for the first time ever this week I've wanted a 5

song I normally play needs a G as the lowest note. Fine on a 4 string.
Change key and I now need a bottom C# ... which moves everything an octave above where I would ideally play it on the 4 string....

no help at all to the OP there! :D

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1379170499' post='2209449']
Get a 5-string with 19mm spacing.

You can use the low B as a thumb-rest until you need it ...
[/quote]

That's mainly what the low B gets used for these days to be honest. When I used to record more down-tuned stuff it was useful, but I've got a good pitch shifter built into guitar amp FX with no latency should I ever be that way inclined again!

Edited by Greggo

Sold a schecter 5 string recently . Loved it , but seeing I had too many basses and it was the only 5 er, it had to go.Since then, I started tuning my steinberger bass to B-E-A-D. Quite like it so far. Amazing how little I use the G playing rock covers . In hindsight, I wish I was playing this way years ago.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1379171192' post='2209460']
Sold a schecter 5 string recently . Loved it , but seeing I had too many basses and it was the only 5 er, it had to go.Since then, I started tuning my steinberger bass to B-E-A-D. Quite like it so far. Amazing how little I use the G playing rock covers . In hindsight, I wish I was playing this way years ago.
[/quote]
For a while I had a Spector Legend tuned to BEAD and loved it so think its a good option to get low down.
I went from 5's to 4's a while back and prefer 4's. I was finding 5's made me lazy and I was playing lead style patterns rather than using the whole neck and my playing was suffering because of it. Now I only have one 5, which I like fine. I play it as a 4 and only very rarely go down to the B string. It's nice to have the option yo do it though.

I'm sure someone has a Billy Sheehan quote in their sig? Something like: Interviewer "have you thought about playing a 5 string?", Billy "You should only play a 5 after you've spent a bit of time on a 4", Interviewer "how long's that?", Billy "at least 20 years".

I've been on a 4 for almost 30 years. :)

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1379183455' post='2209638']
IMO there really is no need for 6 strings on a bass (for most regular types of music). I do understand the need for a low B but a high C is encroaching on the realms of the regular six string guitar surely...
[/quote]

But what is a "regular type" of music? Jazz? Prog Rock? Electronica? Pop?
A lot of styles can make good use of a 6 string bass when it's in the right hands (just as with a 4 string).
I used to play in a folk band (use the term "folk" very loosely there) & there was a couple of songs that having a high C would have made the bassline that bit easier than having to reach for the 24th fret on the G.