Why become a member? ×

Hartke lh500 - verdict

marcus bell

I bought as LH1000 as I got a good deal on one, plus it gives me lots of options if I were to change my cab(s) as it's really just a big two channel power amp that is bridgeable with a nice simple preamp.

Very loud, very clear compared to most of what I've used before, in fact I can hear fret rattle that I didn't before.

I'm only using a single Laney 4x10" and its plenty loud for what I need - I also play with two guitarists and a drummer plus I don't go through the PA. In fact last week when I was gigging my cab was in the corner of the room there was so much bass that it felt like my brain was vibrating but I could still hear every note.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1378968134' post='2207042']
I'm only using a single Laney 4x10" and its plenty loud for what I need - I also play with two guitarists and a drummer plus I don't go through the PA. In fact last week when I was gigging my cab was in the corner of the room there was so much bass that it felt like my brain was vibrating but I could still hear every note.
[/quote]

Don't put it in the corner then! That'll make it very boomy (as you've just discovered). :blink:

I really rate the LH series - especially plugging straight in to the passive input (so no attenuation) with a bass with a hot output. Still tones of headroom and loads of volume to boot.

The head is a brilliant idea actually - taking a very simple and ultra clean valve preamp and strapping it on to a 500/1000W power amplifier - without the need for extra bells and whistles. It sounds bloomin' brilliant. For the price, highly recommended. I've used 'em live for lots of gigs.

Having bought a Hartke Kilo and returned it as faulty (lack of power) i'm loathe to use Hartke gear now.
I still haven't heard from their Customer Service dept after 2wks.
Even tried Mr Hartke himself who is seen advertising that he answers queries or issues personally and to get in touch with him if you have any problems. Still waiting on him too.

Not the best service I've ever experienced. Borders on the worst though.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1379166749' post='2209369']
Having bought a Hartke Kilo and returned it as faulty (lack of power) i'm loathe to use Hartke gear now.
I still haven't heard from their Customer Service dept after 2wks.
Even tried Mr Hartke himself who is seen advertising that he answers queries or issues personally and to get in touch with him if you have any problems. Still waiting on him too.

Not the best service I've ever experienced. Borders on the worst though.

Dave
[/quote]

let me see what I can do for you! :)

Iv had a lh500 for a while now, and its been gigged and used at rehearsal 2-3 times a week. Mines did break, but it was a £30 fix and its worked perfectly since. Absolutely clean as a whistle which might not suit everyone but its super loud! I honestly cant see what application a more powerful amp would be needed. The design of it means that even if you had this up at 80% its just a louder, it doesnt break up at all.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1378971507' post='2207077']
Don't put it in the corner then! That'll make it very boomy (as you've just discovered). :blink:
[/quote]

You never saw the pub :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Against the back wall is enough but back and side walls was bass city but it was still so clear[/size]

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1379167751' post='2209395']

let me see what I can do for you! :)
[/quote]

Cheers Dood but no point now. Returned to Thomann awaiting refund but just wouldn't go near Hartke again. Unreliable gear with no customer service IMO. It's not the opinion of most tho who seem to get things sorted without issue. I just don't want to have to get a new amp repaired that quickly. Noted that Lefrash also had a fault on his LH500 when he bought it.

Appreciate your offer tho
Many thanks
Dave

finally a reply from Hartke tonight after 10 days asking me if issue resolved.
Answer :- YES returned with refund. Wont buy Hartke gear again.
Think it was Mr Hartke himself tho rather than their C.S. Dept.
Maybe worth keeping this in mind before buying Hartke.

Dave

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1378949016' post='2207003']
Loud enough to keep up with 2 guitarists and a drummer?
Clear? Headroom? Etc?
[/quote]

Hell yeah. To both!

Never had an issue with mine (except the first time I used it. No output. I was fuming. Until I realised I had plugged the cab into the effects return socket... :blush: ).

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1379340173' post='2211433']
The volume control, on mine at least, isn't at all linear. The volume really takes off from about 6 upwards. Below that there's lots of control at lower volume.

From what I've read, they're all like that, but don't take my word for it...
[/quote]

I would agree 100% on that! :)

I rarely get mine above 4 in bridge mode either, plus with me having an active bass and using the passive input, the volume really gets loud at that point.

Its like those old power showers that you used to get where there was one micron of movement in the heating control between icicles and scalding you