Why become a member? ×

Class D Amps

rodacademy

[quote name='rodacademy' timestamp='1378151444' post='2196390']
Love them or loath them they save my back!
Love my wee PF800
[/quote]

Amen brother, amen. This time a year ago, my EBS TD650 head weighed more than the amp AND cab I use now. No difference in tone or volume cos of them funny little knobs on the front of my amp :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1378155354' post='2196481']
Genz Shuttlemax 9.2 and a Genz 2x12T 4 ohm cab, 900 Watts, 2 full parametric channels (valve and FET) plus a global EQ and FX loop and no back ache :)
[/quote]

Brilliant amp, I use mine with a mesa 2x12 powerhouse, so much power and headroom, and what a tone :-)
Cheers
Thebassman

See, I don't think they sound as good.
I think they can sound good, but they aren't the same.

Put themside by side and it becomes obvious,as far as I am concerned.
That isn't to say they sound bad..they are just a bit short and you know this when can run both.

I run a decent quality lightweight B rig but it is definitely second best to the A rig and I am reminded of this everytime
I take either out.

It's all subjective other than the weight which the class d factually wins on unless your into body building, it's not a class d worse than heavy amp argument, i prefer the sound of my rig to any Ashdown,hartke,swr or ebs rig, that's off the top of my head but you get my drift.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1378212258' post='2197065']
It's all subjective other than the weight which the class d factually wins on unless your into body building, it's not a class d worse than heavy amp argument, i prefer the sound of my rig to any Ashdown,hartke,swr or ebs rig, that's off the top of my head but you get my drift.
[/quote]

+1

Sound is subjective. Weight and size are objective. On all objective fronts, Class D amps make more sense. If you happen to not like the sound then it sucks to be you; I get the best tone I've ever head out of my Genz Benz Shuttle and Barefaced S12 and it's so unbelievably easy to get around. Win/win.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1378218258' post='2197192']
+1

Sound is subjective. Weight and size are objective. On all objective fronts, Class D amps make more sense. If you happen to not like the sound then it sucks to be you;
[/quote]

Not really. My Walkabout is very light, and I use a pair of cabs that weigh 10kgs each....

An electronics engineer (an authorised service engineer for the likes of Yamaha and Ampeg) explained to me the difference between digital, solid state and valve...and it made complete sense why people say class D is good but just lacks something. Suffice to say I won't be buying one in a hurry.

He also explained why they can be unreliable.

Just to add, I'm probably one of the weediest, skinniest blokes on earth and I've also got a bad back due to work. However, I don't have any problems moving my Ampeg cab around, it weighs over 35kg. COME ON YOU LOT, MAN UP!!!!! :P

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1378221870' post='2197263']
Just imagine how much less problems you'd have moving something which sounds as good and weighs half as much :D

I suppose if you needed to man up you could always carry the PA in instead... :D
[/quote]

I've got no problems moving it around, it sounds great and cost me peanuts :)

If you want that "Valve" sound, there's plenty of good valve pedals that do an excellent job. I couldn't tell you how well they compare, but if you're gigging & want an easy "in, out", then it's a no brainer. The punter isn't gonna know the difference between a heavy amp & class D.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1378224041' post='2197290']
If you want that "Valve" sound, there's plenty of good valve pedals that do an excellent job. I couldn't tell you how well they compare, but if you're gigging & want an easy "in, out", then it's a no brainer. The punter isn't gonna know the difference between a heavy amp & class D.
[/quote]

But the player might. Surely that counts for something..?