Why become a member? ×

What Do YOU Play?

acidbass

[quote name='Spoombung' post='323709' date='Nov 6 2008, 08:12 PM']It's sycamore - recovered from a skip in leeds, apparently (quite unique even for Wal).

Another pic:

Purchased 1983 and modified by the Wal guys in High Wycombe around '93 with a completely new Fender style body. The original neck was shaved down to Fender Jazz proportions -very slim and even narrower at the nut than a Jazz bass. The neck sits into the body deeper than the regular model also on request. Contouring on the back of the body and the top is very shapely and very severe - so the bass weighs a lot less than a regular Wal.

It used to look like this way back in '87 before all the changes:
[/quote]Mr Hopper, you completely blew my mind when I first heard "Quirk Out", so great to see you again.

Blimey, I should look at this thread a bit more. Some fantastic basses here. Flamed maple Wal and this Trussart!

[quote name='basse' post='303101' date='Oct 9 2008, 02:49 PM'][/quote]

I saw some of his guitars when I was in the States earlier this year and they looked amazing. Didn't even know they did a bass.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just taken delivery of an Indonesian built (Cort I believe) G&L L2000 Tribute. Wow! Talk about putting notes under your fingers. With my Markbass Jeff Berlin set almost flat it blazes the pants off my Fender Pbass Lyte fitted with SD qtr pounders. Phenomenal tonal variation and power. Swamp ash body is heavy but the sustain is gorgeous and no Fender style dead spots on the neck. After 40 odd years of playing it makes me just want to pick it up and boogie. Bought mine from Lance Perkins at Guitar Works Fladbury Nr Evesham. Great setup great price. If you see one in a shop pick it up and play it but be prepared to part with the hard earned when you can't put it down!

Edited by barrymk

• 2 weeks later...

Music Man Stingray 4. I've had it since Dec 06. I'm not sure whether or not the previous owner bought it new, but according to the serial no. it would have been built circa 1995. I've tried to be kind to it, but it's got the odd scratch here and there. I've also put some ludicrous 'hot pink' DR strings on it recently, so it looks a bit ridiculous right now.

The only thing that looks ridiculous in this photo however, is the caveman playing it*.

Recently I've been giving my Schecter 5 a bit more attention, as it's a bit more suitable for function band stuff. The Stingray is still my favourite though. I fookin' LOVE it!

[size=1]*I'm on the Popular Music Studies degree at Leeds College of Music. The above photo is from my end of second year ensemble performance. We all had to play in two bands of various genres, one of which was funk. Somehow we decided we would take on a different persona, in a similar vein to Parliament/Funkadelic. However, unlike Parliament/Funkadelic, instead of purporting to be from space, we were from prehistoric times, and wrote dodgy funk tunes accordingly.[/size]

I have no allegiance to any bass maker, only the ones that make me play better.
My Fender Jazz is a main squeeze but my Squier P Bass is also a winner.
My ACG Recurve 6 Singlecut is f***ing brilliant but the bass that has been played the most, in the last few years and is the easiest to play is my KGB Status Replica.

• 2 weeks later...