Why become a member? ×

What Do YOU Play?

acidbass

My main bass is my Cort Curbow 6 string but I also have, cluttering up my house,...

Washburn MB6 ( defretted by Cranes Music in Cardiff)
Squier VM Jazz
Alden violin bass - cheap and cheerful but records beautifully
DeArmond Ashbory
Arian MAB 10 fretless
Aria SLB2 ( my first bass)
NS Wav

Cheers,
Alun

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,I've got an Ibanez SRX 400...You either love 'em or hate 'em... I love mine! Has anybody else got one,who maybe reading this?[quote name='acidbass' post='1457' date='May 18 2007, 01:59 PM']Hello all,

Just a wee poll for us BCers to get an idea of the spread of basses that we all use!

Apologies if I've left any major manufacturers out...hopefully I've covered most of them :)

Cheers,

Danny[/quote]

current little bass collection:

1999 Fender Special Precision Bass Limited Edition, sure you all seen it in the for sale forum, gorgeous bass

2005 Musicman SUB 4 Active

2006 Peavey Grind 6 String

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 basses currently - bought them both used.
The Blade does the "superjazz" thing quite well and I have the P-thing covered with the Tokai.
Someday I'll have a Jetglo Rickenbacker again and I'm also thinking of adding a Hofner replica soon.
I might also give 5 strings a go too but that would be hard to justify to the wife while I'm not playing more than I do now ^_^

Z

[quote name='SwordRaven' post='127991' date='Jan 25 2008, 07:32 PM']

It's a Tanglewood :huh: but it's really nice, apparently there's only 5 or so of these basses in this finish in the UK - got it from Cranes in Cardiff about a year ago-ish.

It's great and makes the rest of my basses sound like sh*t :)[/quote]
I remember when they had those - they really are lovely and I kinda wish I'd bought one at the time... but surely that's actually unique, rather than being 1 of 5 or so?

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='128922' date='Jan 27 2008, 09:33 PM']I remember when they had those - they really are lovely and I kinda wish I'd bought one at the time... but surely that's actually unique, rather than being 1 of 5 or so?[/quote]

Hard to figure out... When I bought it the chap said it was the only one but later he said that there were others. Would be nice to own something unique though!

The production models are in Cranes now and they're in the driftwood finish, also £200 cheaper :)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='128925' date='Jan 27 2008, 09:34 PM']how much was it??[/quote]

£800 - being a student it was a logistical nightmare but worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

I am presently using a Yamaha BB5N active 5 string.

I played bass during the late 70s and early eighties when it was at its peak. I grew up on a diet of Stanley, Jaco, johnson Brothers, Mark King, Bernard Edwards etc.

I turned to the enemy mid eighties and became a lead guitarist but this year I have gone back to bass and have bought myself the above bass and I managed to pick up a Behringer BX300T amp (virtually brand new) and a peavey 4x10 for £100.

I am playing covers in a corporate function band and later in the year I will be replacing my gear with better quality stuff, apart from the Bass that it cos I love it.

I am hoever looking round for a nice 4 string active. I used to use a 1970 fender Jazz and a white Ibanez Roadster bass in the seventies and eighties. The Ibanez was a fantastic instrument with a lovely maple one piece neck, doubt if I will be able to find one now though.

As I have been out of the system for a long time can anyone reccomend any nice 4 string active basses for a man on a small budget.

I like something with a slim neck and low action :)

Aria IGB30 and CL Clarrissa Accoustic - had a cheapo P-bass but wifey made me get rid of it last year. It was bad though - over the years I'd hacked it, rewired it, put a Double Eagle humbucker on it and it was starting to get a bit ropey.

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of Basses, amps & cabs over the past 44 years & still going strong.
Throughout the many years I have had many basses, amps & cab changes giving so much more potential to the overall sound & also my ear for what I like changing. I started in bands in the mid 60's with an Egmond Bass followed by a Burns London Bass. As money came in I moved up to a Hofner Violin & Fender P basses. Amps were Vox AC30 heads with various cabs, Selmer T&B 60 & Marshall 50. Music style varied from John Mayhall, Duster Bennett etc style blues. Late 60's was probable the best moving era I've lived through, I had a Gibson EB3 (ie Andy Frazer, Free & Jack Bruce, Cream) style music, I also had my first Jazz & loved playing early Zep & other new Rock with much more clarity & power. My Amp & cab was then upgraded to an Acoustic. To my mind, this amp (at the time) moved the bar a lot higher regarding sound potential & quality, the first amp I ever had with a good eq & I could realy move air & hear what I was playing for a change. As the 60's moved into the 70's, prog rock was huge & everyone seemed to be using Rick basses, me too. I got my first s/h Rick 4001 from Top Gear in Denmark St, London which cost £350. It was black, had a checker board binding on the body, had a toaster neck pickup & gave the purcussive clang that Squire made popular, looking back I wish I'd kept her but these were just the norm at the time. The likes of Deep Purple, Wishbone Ash, Genesis, Floyd, Yes & Rush were all getting into the Rick sound & clarity, at the time I thought there could never be anything better. Despite my feelings for the Acoustic gear, it was a time that I moved through many amps & cabs to look for the holy grail of sound in my head or so I thought. Using Sound City, Hi Watt, more Marshall, Carsboro, even had a go with Wem but that didn't last long. Through the late 70's to early 90's I gave up playing live but kept my faithfull old P bass & had various small cobo's from H&H to Peavy TNT150's just to keep my hand in. The bug got hold of me again at the begining of the 90's when I got another old 4001 Rick, just for the hell of it. Unfortunatly my ear & style had changed a lot so moved the Rick on for a Musicman. That was ok but way too much middle & not enough bottom end for me so then came my first Warwick. It was a Streamer std, certainly had a new crisp (round wound) sound & I stayed with this untill I tried a Stage 1 out so moved up to that. I kept this beautiful AAAAA flame, French Violet Stage 1 up untill a few years ago, cracking bass & certainly the best Warwick I've owned. I also had a Stage 2 5 & Thumb 5, too absorbed tone but nice neck. Also a stunning Infinity Limited Eddition 5 string with bur maple top & flame maple body, again in French Violet. This instrament was absolutly stunning in fell & build but with all the body wood removed with the F holes & the big Musiman style pick up had way too much body mass removed & therfore had very little sustain, such a shame for such a beautifully crafted instrament. Now I'm back playing live again in a Free & Zep tribute band & have gone back to a mint 62 Gibson EB3 for the Free stuff & a Fender Custom Shop Jazz with a realy powerfull EQ & a pair of special 4 pole (Mark King style pickups) that realy punches the tone. I had a superb Lakland 55-94 American Delux 5 string that I wish I had kept but moved that on for a realy tasty 73 Jazz but this hardly gets a look in. I was using a Hartke 5000 bi-amp with a 1x15 & 4x10 trace cabs a few years ago but I now need a lot more power so have been using an Ampeg SVT4 pro head with 4 Markbass cabs for the past 2 years & yet again cant think of anything better to give me the tone & volume I now require. So whats next? Munk, (Heartbreaker). :)

Both my basses are others :)

My main bass is my Cort GB74, which i've had abut two or three months and I'm [b]still[/b] discovering new positions to put them knobs and switches in. :huh: I've only just started taking a shine to pulling the volume knob out and making it passive. ;)

I changed the strap buttons for dunlop straploks and accidently chipped off a bit of the finish (it's a sort of translucent white) and underneath is a fairly sexy looking swamp ash body... I'm fairly sure I'd quite like to take off the finish and reveal the wood, but I'm scared! it's a big leap into the unknown. I'd want to either make or send off a template for a black pickguard too... unless the tort one looked good with the bare ash...

My other bass is the one i learnt on, that my dad bought off of Ebay for £30, and picked up the same night ;) It's a Peavey Milestone III, and it's basically a cross between a Jazz and a Precision, but with slightly pointier horns... Recently I bought some Wilkinson pickups to replace the stock nameless ones, and it's definitely benefited! perhaps a Gotoh bridge will be next....

That's what i play! :huh:

Edited by allighatt0r