Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Midget, Aguilar DB112, Berg HD/CN112....

aj5string

About to pull the trigger on one of these and just can't decide! Currently using a Barefaced Compact which is brilliant, but, I have always liked 12's and the slightly more compact size of one of these would be a real bonus for me.

I'm sure they will all be brilliant, but, what do people think!? Using it with a Genz Benz Shuttle Max 9.2 and, play a 5 string Jazz, and play Funky stuff in pro function bands - so do use some effects too.

Decisions!

I don't think 1 112 cab will match the volume and tone of the Compact.

2 112 cabs will sound great but that's 2 cabs not 1. Bergantino 112's would be my choice.

Actually my first preference for a 1 cab solution would be to keep the Compact.

My preference is to drive my speakers at a volume level that has them just ticking over. Kind of the "headroom" principal for cabs as well as amps.

None of these 112 cabs will be as light as the Compact but for a 1 cab 112 solution I'd check out a CN112 and HD112, closely followed by the Aguilar DB112. I don’t think the Midget on its own can compete with these cabs on overall quality of tone.

The Midget sounds quite different to the Compact - don't think of it as a smaller version of the same cab. Its its own character. More mid response, and not as forgiving...and a bit barky as you crank up the volume. One of my more "accurate" amps (SWR Electric Blue) sounds quite unpleasant sometimes. Unless absolute size is a consideration I'd stick with a Compact for general gigging.

IME YMMV IMO etc etc etc

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212014-tks-engineering-112-cabs-new-to-the-uk-review/"]Something else to consider.[/url]

These won't shift anywhere near as much air as a Compact, but if you don't need that...

They're ceramic and weigh only slightly more than a balloon.

He does neo cabs in slightly bigger boxes, too..

I've tried a fair few cabs in my time, and I've yet to find anything I like as much as the 'Aguilar DB 12s' sound. I used to own two DB212s, and then downsized to one Classic Black DB212 at 4 ohms.

They just sound fabulous. Very clear, very 'bass guitar orientated' (eg not a PA-like response), lots of punchy low mids, plenty of sparkle IF you want it, (just dial the tweeter if you don't) and slamming low end. The low B response is fabulous.

If I were to want to get something a little lighter, I'd be opting for the Berg CN212 at 46lbs.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1376560512' post='2175902']
The Midget sounds quite different to the Compact - don't think of it as a smaller version of the same cab. Its its own character. More mid response, and not as forgiving...and a bit barky as you crank up the volume. Unless absolute size is a consideration I'd stick with a Compact for general gigging.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I found. The Midget was like a Jack Russell, small and snappy, the Compact like a labrador, round and warm-hearted. Together however, well it was obviously a Jackrador, the best of both.

But I must admit, it`s easier to remove something than to add it, so the Midget may be a good idea. Plus, with Barefaceds amazing try for a month offer, it has to be the first port of call.

[quote name='aj5string' timestamp='1376558994' post='2175852']
Wasn't really sure which of the Genz cabs would stack up - any suggestions?
[/quote]
I don't think it would be fair to compare the other brands to the focus range, if they do an uber 1x12 I'd be wanting to try one with the Genz amp before anything else, meant to be very tasty?

What is it that you like about 12s? Purely the fact that they generally come in smaller boxes than 15s? ;)

I've never heard a Compact referred to as "too big" before... and it is certainly smaller than [i]two[/i] cabs with 12s in!

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1376568847' post='2176150']
Yep the only reason I'd move from the compact is if you need a tweeter. That's why I moved from mine
[/quote]

I saw on a thread a few weeks back that BF are looking at this.

Personally I have a real problem with BF cabs (leans back & waits for torrent of flame posts).

Aguilar and Bergantino are my two personal favourites in the lightweight cab market. The Berg CN212 is exceptional but I marginally prefer a pair of Aggie SL 112's to the CN112's.

In the ceramic market there's a lot more choice. Both the Aggie DB & GS series have strong advocates - although I generally like the DB series there's something about the GS 212 that really works for me. However I prefer the DB112's, either individually or as a pair, to the GS versions.

The Berg HD series are really good as well. Again I'd just vote the DB112 ahead on a standalone basis but in a pair of cabs configuration it's a close call.

Having tried all of these I definitely wouldn't put any money out without hearing them all first. Some of the differences are subtle, whilst others are quite marked, and all of them will react a little differently depending on which head you're using with them.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1376567487' post='2176108']
This is exactly what I found. The Midget was like a Jack Russell, small and snappy, the Compact like a labrador, round and warm-hearted. Together however, well it was obviously a Jackrador, the best of both.

But I must admit, it`s easier to remove something than to add it, so the Midget may be a good idea. Plus, with Barefaceds amazing try for a month offer, it has to be the first port of call.
[/quote]
If by 'first' you mean '4-5 months down the line'...

Tried the CN112 x 2 today with Chris' TH500 and really like them.
I was trying to reference the sound against my AE's and 550-B and I think I prefered
the CN112 and TH. Not a true test and not side by side but the sound was very pleasing.

The CN cabs looks fantastic as well so these would be a rig ( along with the TH500 ) I would consider very closely
if in the market for a lightweight small footprint solution.

At shop volumes the sound was pretty close in quality to a DB751 and DB212.... but I would expect the 751 rig to
put distance on it when pushing the volume.
The TH sounded loud tho...even louder than the 750, but the 750 turns drummers purple and has sheer grunt at the back of the room.
Close up you don't think it is that loud. The difficulty here is that in small rooms it is hard to self mix with that sort of 'throw'...
and is why I don't think the 750 is 'good' for pubs..

Having said that, I bought the DB212 and am going to gig it tonight with a 750, so bugger off...!!!! :lol: :lol:

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1376607945' post='2176916']
Personally I have a real problem with BF cabs (leans back & waits for torrent of flame posts).
[/quote]

:rolleyes: Please enlighten us as to the reasons (if there are any) for your "problem"... Admittedly, I own a BF Compact - but I am no "fanboi" of any brands.

Just interested to hear.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1376847994' post='2179916']

:rolleyes: Please enlighten us as to the reasons (if there are any) for your "problem"... Admittedly, I own a BF Compact - but I am no "fanboi" of any brands.

Just interested to hear.
[/quote]

Mostly I think that they look cheap and nasty. Both on stage and up close. Don't look, or feel, to have the build quality of lots of other brands.

Also a lot of people whose opinions I respect have had real issues with them tonally. I realise I shouldn't just rely on third party comments but sometimes you just hear things from people who seem to really know their stuff and have to have to give them some credence.

When you don't like the look of something and you hear they it doesn't sound great it tends to colour your opinions a fair bit :(