Why become a member? ×

1961 Jazz Bass for sale
£10950

tezza-j

[quote name='josh3184' timestamp='1375349461' post='2160022']
On the elderly.com ad it says it's no longer available so I suspect it's been sold and this seller will never be seen again!
[/quote]

Another possibility is that the seller has withdrawn it from Elderly and is trying to sell it privately.

[quote name='josh3184' timestamp='1375349461' post='2160022']
On the elderly.com ad it says it's no longer available so I suspect it's been sold and this seller will never be seen again!
[/quote]

I think he bought it from Elderly, he just used the link for pics. Don't think there's anything wrong here. He was also selling it on commission at V&R in London (Still on their site). [url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/basses/Fender-Electric-Basses/1961-fender-jazz-bass-8260"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/basses/Fender-Electric-Basses/1961-fender-jazz-bass-8260[/url]

He's in London also.

Odd that he's a bit lax on replies though, considering its quite an expensive piece??

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1375350818' post='2160052']
I think he bought it from Elderly, he just used the link for pics. Don't think there's anything wrong here.
[/quote]

My bad! I wasn't trying to say this was dodgy, just thought it was a case of "It's sold now I don't need to check that basschat website anymore".

Sorry guys I didn't see all the new comments here! I bought this from Vintage and Rare in February. I'm assuming they got it from Elderly I can't be sure of course. I didn't see any harm in linking to better pics than I can provide.

The bass is firmly in my possession and awaiting a lookover from a forum member this evening.

Thanks
Terry

Year of birth bass for me and I'm a jazz bass man through and through. This looks in amazing condition for it's age. I would love to own this but unfortunately couldn't justify spending that much. I'm sure someone's gonna be a happy happy boy . . . .

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1375315386' post='2159802']
Yep, it is just a bass, but its a very special bass, and one worthy of comments, and special mention. This is the perfected Jazz, in the same way the '58 Precision was the final solution, and the exact format still mass produced over 50 years later. These slab board Jazzes are extremely rare, and highly sought after and prized. they are also rarer than a stack-knob, albeit less valuable and collectable, but they are rarer (9 stack knobs for sale that i know of at present, none of these).This is[i] the [/i]Jaco bass, a slab board '61. [i]The[/i] JPJ bass. When people talk about a bass playing like butter (I know, it's used too often, normally by people who don't even know what they are saying), this is the bass they are referring to, this is the feel, this is the bass that has [i]that[/i] tone. A bass that when you play it, you just sink into it, and immediately feel like you've been playing it for years. A bass that has been described as playing and ringing like a grand piano. By the way, I have no affiliation with this bass or the seller, but I have played and owned these, and 2-knob Jazzes, and they are very, very special instruments. "Just a bass"?, yes, for sure, I get that, but then a Stradivarius is just a violin, and a 1965 Ferrari GTO Daytona is just a car, and a Chateau Petrus Pomerol 1998 is just a bottle of wine. They are desirable, and applauded for good reason. These things don't turn up very often, and I'm actually surprised by the [i]lack [/i]of admiring comments to be honest. Anyway, forgive my waxing-lyrical-rant, but these basses ain't half bad!! Carry on......don't mind me.
[/quote]

Thanks for info, that's interesting. :)

Good luck with the sale as well, Terry!

• 2 months later...

Seems to be the sister of my 62 slab board / 3 knob JB, which was offered by Elderly at the same time - very likely as a consignment from the same source. I owned and compared >100 high end basses with mine and none of them was on par with its organic sound - which is not really grand piano like, yet full of life and character.

I fully agree with Rick how outstanding this special run of Fenders is. Albert Molinari, who knows everything about the Fender basses of that time, once said: [font="Helvetica"][size="3"][color="#0000da"][color=#0000da]"FIRST Jazz basses and Prototypes had 3 KNOBS and Larger Pickups too, they decided shortly after production began to go Back to the 3 Knob version, they Decided it SOUNDED better - and it DOES!"[/color][/color][/size][/font]

It has its reason why a lot of the famous JB players of that time including Jaco, JPJ, Leo Lyons and many others preferred the 3-knobbers with a slab board over all other models.

Congrats to the owners - both the current and the next one. From my point of view the top of the cream of the hall of fame of all basses of all the time ...

Good luck with the sale - although you won't need it.

[quote name='mrbassman_de' timestamp='1381215384' post='2235763']
Seems to be the sister of my 62 slab board / 3 knob JB, which was offered by Elderly at the same time - very likely as a consignment from the same source. I owned and compared >100 high end basses with mine and none of them was on par with its organic sound - which is not really grand piano like, yet full of life and character.

I fully agree with Rick how outstanding this special run of Fenders is. Albert Molinari, who knows everything about the Fender basses of that time, once said: [font=Helvetica][size=3][color=#0000da][color=#0000da]"FIRST Jazz basses and Prototypes had 3 KNOBS and Larger Pickups too, they decided shortly after production began to go Back to the 3 Knob version, they Decided it SOUNDED better - and it DOES!"[/color][/color][/size][/font]

It has its reason why a lot of the famous JB players of that time including Jaco, JPJ, Leo Lyons and many others preferred the 3-knobbers with a slab board over all other models.

Congrats to the owners - both the current and the next one. From my point of view the top of the cream of the hall of fame of all basses of all the time ...

Good luck with the sale - although you won't need it.
[/quote]

Not sure I'd fully agree with that opinion. The 3-knob, from my own personal experience doesnt sound any different to the 2-knob, and there's no reason why it would. Everything is the same, the difference is how the tone and volume are controlled. The reason they went to the 3-knob (From research that i've done, and comments from Leo), was because they thought it was more user friendly in a live environment, as you knew which knob you were turning, with the concentric, they felt you could turn the wrong one in error (Not easily confused in reality though), but tone wise and sound wise, I've never heard any claim that the 3-knob sounds better. John Entwhistle said in his book, that the concentric knob arrangement was the best thing fender did with the Jazz, and never understood why they reverted to the 3 knob, because with the stack control, you have total tone, and volume control of each pickup, whereas with the 3-knob, you don't, as its blended, so less versatile. They are scarce though, as with the 2-knob slabs, because they were only made for around a year each, before the veneer board came in. In my opinion its this brazilian slab board, along with the pickups that helps to define 'that' tone. Lovely basses, just lovely.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1381220735' post='2235831']
... The 3-knob, from my own personal experience doesnt sound any different to the 2-knob, and there's no reason why it would. Everything is the same, the difference is how the tone and volume are controlled. [/quote]

The reason why they sound different are the resistors behind the controls which the signals must pass before going to the output jack. The resistors were thrown into the chain to make the pickup controls independent from each other, but they eat a bit of the signal's life and loudness. The newer AV and Custom Shop layouts of the stack knob config are simply different and therefore not a reference to the old original ones.

Another famous player who swapped the concentric config on his original 60 Jazz Basses with a 3-knob is Bobby Vega - because of the better sound, not the easier handling.

With all respect - John Entwistle was a GREAT player and collector, yet not a Jazz Bass player primarily. Just my 2c and your mileage may vary...

[quote name='mrbassman_de' timestamp='1381227204' post='2235944']
The reason why they sound different are the resistors behind the controls which the signals must pass before going to the output jack. The resistors were thrown into the chain to make the pickup controls independent from each other, but they eat a bit of the signal's life and loudness. The newer AV and Custom Shop layouts of the stack knob config are simply different and therefore not a reference to the old original ones.

Another famous player who swapped the concentric config on his original 60 Jazz Basses with a 3-knob is Bobby Vega - because of the better sound, not the easier handling.

With all respect - John Entwistle was a GREAT player and collector, yet not a Jazz Bass player primarily. Just my 2c and your mileage may vary...
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting one is better than the other, there's a reason, whether tone or ease, that the 3-knob was introduced, and still remains on Jazzes today. Leo was the master of making things great, yet incredibly simple, you only have to look at the Precision, and the fact that the vast majority of players still use one, or end up using one, after many years of trying other stuff, because it just works, and the 3-knob configuration on the Jazz is, if nothing else, very simple. From my experience of having owned various examples of each of these types over the years, I've never noticed a difference tonally between the 2 and 3 knob models though.

Its a bit like asking whether a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO, is better than a 1961 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa, I think I'd be quite happy with either!! :gas:

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1375376463' post='2160552']
Year of birth bass for me and I'm a jazz bass man through and through. This looks in amazing condition for it's age. I would love to own this but unfortunately couldn't justify spending that much. I'm sure someone's gonna be a happy happy boy . . . .
[/quote]

Exactly the same here, and my birth year too. I'll have to stick with my 1974 Jazz. Best of luck with the sale......

Really nice bass which represent "le saint Graal" for me and many other bass players I think:)!

Very interesting discussion about knobs configuration, that was always a question without answer for me to know if there was a sound difference (I've never tried 2 knob model)..?
Thanks for all of you who wrote this interesting word (all apologies for my bad English once again :blush: ).

[quote name='Ashborygirl' timestamp='1381517731' post='2240288']
Another sale thread asking more for a secondhand bass than a new one goes for. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

:huh: This would be relevant if you could buy a new 1961 Fender Jazz in 2013... ;)

Whether you think the asking price is reasonable is another matter entirely, and we are all entitled to our opinions. Some would argue a 2013 Jazz is superior :happy: