Why become a member? ×

Renaissance on TOTP last night

Urban Bassman

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1374863923' post='2154296']
Pete, if you do, ask him what rig he was using on the Black Flame clip on Youtube....

FWIW, last thing I seem to remember about his 'Great White' Ric was that it was bought off ebay a few years back (I remember it being on) by one of the Rick Resource guys who was a huge fan of Jon. I wonder if he got it back?
[/quote]

Will do, mate.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1374861936' post='2154254']
I believe Greggs have now removed them from their product range. :)
[/quote]

You beat me to that one. Whatever floats your boat, but I thought the dodgy miming on that TOTP performance was awful. But at least Jilted John came on straight after just to show how it should be done... <_<

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1374941625' post='2155061']
Here we go two...three....four

They don't make em like that any more. And, what was the bass that his bassist was using?

This could on and on and on...
[/quote]

Dunno, but I'm glad you said using. He sure wasnt playing it. Whatever, at least it was done in fun. Not the impression you got from the previous lot

One of the great bass lines, and in a song in which it wouldn't be expected. There's a previous thread about it on here somewhere in which the OP described it as being like a Peter, Paul and Mary session with Peter Hook on bass. Not far off!

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1374941625' post='2155061']
Here we go two...three....four

They don't make em like that any more. And, what was the bass that his bassist was using?

This could on and on and on...
[/quote]
[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1374953804' post='2155258']
Dunno, but I'm glad you said using. He sure wasnt playing it. Whatever, at least it was done in fun. Not the impression you got from the previous lot
[/quote]
now here I can name drop! because I used to play in a band with "jilted john bass player" he's called John Scott and is actually a very fine guitar player first and foremost and played guitar/bass on the record all on his lonesome. I asked him about the bass once and he said he "didn't know, some one used to turn up with one for me to mime with, probably a honer or a hofner I haven't a clue to be honest!" ahh the heady days of 1978 (even I was only13 ) love renaissance and I too would pay some dollar for a dvd of that concert, any chance Cosmo?

Edited by witterth

There's a Renaissance Live at Carnegie Hall cd with a long track on called 'Ashes Are Burning' featuring a Jon Camp bass solo. I remember preferring that to Squire's 'Fish' solo on Yessongs as it had so many different musical feels to it. You can certainly hear the Squire influence but Camp is a fine bassist and there are some wonderful moments where he harmonises the bass with Annie Haslam's voice. I'm not one for bass solos but it is worth checking out.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1374861789' post='2154252']
If you find it is there any way I could possibly get hold of a copy? I love Renaissance but have never seen it. PM me if necessary.
[/quote]

+1 :)
Love Renaissance, I've have all their CDs but no DVD/Videos :(.

A VERY underrated band and yes, Annie is a hot.

Probably shouldn't let this thread pass without a reference to the first incarnation of the band, with Jim McCarty and Keith Relf of the Yardbirds on drums and guitar/vocals, together with Relf's sister, Jane, providing additional vocals. Louis Cennamo played bass.

http://youtu.be/Y0Kb7AAW8_8

Edited by cybertect

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1375027936' post='2155919']
Probably shouldn't let this thread pass without a reference to the first incarnation of the band, with Jim McCarty and Keith Relf of the Yardbirds on drums and guitar/vocals, together with Relf's sister, Jane, providing additional vocals. Louis Cennamo played bass.
[/quote]

Off their debut album 'Renaissance'.

I was only 5 when it came out but it's part of my collection. :)

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1374961866' post='2155361']
One of the great bass lines, and in a song in which it wouldn't be expected. There's a previous thread about it on here somewhere in which the OP described it as being like a Peter, Paul and Mary session with Peter Hook on bass. Not far off!
[/quote]

Just heard this on the radio at a decent volume. What a glorious, glorious bass sound. The above description is however wrong, it's more like an Abba doing a Brotherhood of Man song with Jean-Jacques Burnel on bass and Jon & Vangelis doing the middle sections. Either way, if ever a song makes me regret selling my v63, this is that song :rolleyes:

[quote name='YouMa' timestamp='1374790953' post='2153415']
Annie haslam,very hot.
[/quote]
+1 to that. I believe she married Roy Wood of Wizzard. Which always struck me as a weird pairing....

Almost as weird as Bob Fripp and Toyah Wilcox.

Anyway, back to Renaissance - for the last thirty-odd years it's felt like the love that dare not speak it's name - seriously uncool to like them. Both incarnations of the band had stand-out bassists and a Sounds poster of Annie Haslam on my bedroom wall got me through most of my formative years. That and the underwear section in mum's Freemans catalogue....

She was deaf in one ear apparently. Annie Haslam that is, not my mum.

'Northern Lights' always reminds me, stylistically, of the music to Follyfoot and White Horses (both of which I also loved as kid). Also, does anyone remembers 'Solstice' (I auditioned for them but didn't get the gig - no surprise as I wouldn't have given to to me at that time either!!).

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1389002034' post='2328510']
'Northern Lights' always reminds me, stylistically, of the music to Follyfoot and White Horses (both of which I also loved as kid). Also, does anyone remembers 'Solstice' (I auditioned for them but didn't get the gig - no surprise as I wouldn't have given to to me at that time either!!).
[/quote]

Weren't they American or Canadian? Name rings a bell for being a bit "Gong" like (but it was all a long long time ago so I could be talking utter rubbish)

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1388942361' post='2327892']
+1 to that. I believe she married Roy Wood of Wizzard. Which always struck me as a weird pairing....

Almost as weird as Bob Fripp and Toyah Wilcox.

Anyway, back to Renaissance - for the last thirty-odd years it's felt like the love that dare not speak it's name - seriously uncool to like them. Both incarnations of the band had stand-out bassists and a Sounds poster of Annie Haslam on my bedroom wall got me through most of my formative years. That and the underwear section in mum's Freemans catalogue....

She was deaf in one ear apparently. Annie Haslam that is, not my mum.
[/quote]
I see you used the past tense there. Is she no longer with us? :(

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1389002982' post='2328523']

Weren't they American or Canadian? Name rings a bell for being a bit "Gong" like (but it was all a long long time ago so I could be talking utter rubbish)
[/quote]

No they were based in Milton Keynes!!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1389002034' post='2328510'] 'Northern Lights' always reminds me, stylistically, of the music to Follyfoot and White Horses (both of which I also loved as kid). Also, does anyone remembers 'Solstice' (I auditioned for them but didn't get the gig - no surprise as I wouldn't have given to to me at that time either!!). [/quote]

I remember Solstice from an obscure prog compilation album that a mate of mine had. They have recently resurfaced and their latest album is worth a listen, includes some old 80's era stuff as bonus tracks remixed by Steve Wilson who's apparently a fan;

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prophecy-Solstice/dp/B00EYUIQCG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389011500&sr=1-1&keywords=solstice"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prophecy-Solstice/dp/B00EYUIQCG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389011500&sr=1-1&keywords=solstice[/url]

Found this thread too late the first time round...

My favourite band of the 70s - saw them a couple of times and they were brilliant.

I believe that Annie Haslam and acoustic guitarist/ writer/ composer Michael Dunford were trying to get backing to convert their "Songs of Sheherezade and Other Stories" into a stage musical show. Sadly, Dunford died just over a year ago. Also sad is the fact that whatever bad blood has lingered between Jon Camp and the rest of the band has been strong enough to rule out any kind of reunion for all these years.

Think I'll go and dig out the Rick, look for a plectrum and "jam along a Jon" for a few songs this evening! :)

Cheers

Ed

Edited by EMG456