Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Cab Handle Problems

Clarky72

I absolutely love my Compact!

I must say it's nice to see Toasted keeping his Barefaced hatred alive. He's been putting the boot in since Alex first started his endeavour. I am sure he has his reasons because he regularly crops up in Barefaced threads to cause trouble.

Old school basschat trolling at it's best. He could teach the current off topic trolls a thing or too :D

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1376564588' post='2176000']
A function band? Again, probably not. I'd want something a bit more elegant and sophisticated looking than my current rig. The clients would be expecting a professional appearance of a certain quality for their money. In that situation I'd happily trade that for the ease of movement of the rig as it wouldn't need to be moved so quickly or so far.
[/quote]

Sorry, but this is bollocks. :D The clients couldn't care less about particular rigs, much less bass rigs - how the band look is important, but not the make of kit. I've played many, many gigs with my Schroeder (invariably stood on end, so the nameplate is the wrong way, too - I'm such a rebel!) and never ever had any comment about the bass gear. And you're at least as likely to shift gear a distance around function/wedding centres than in and out of pubs and clubs. "The guests are all in reception by the lifts, so if you could load in through the back doors and use the stairs...we're on the third floor...can you be set up and soundchecked in half an hour? We'll need the room...thanks so much..." :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1376577283' post='2176341']
Sorry, but this is bollocks. :D The clients couldn't care less about particular rigs, much less bass rigs - how the band look is important, but not the make of kit. I've played many, many gigs with my Schroeder (invariably stood on end, so the nameplate is the wrong way, too - I'm such a rebel!) and never ever had any comment about the bass gear. And you're at least as likely to shift gear a distance around function/wedding centres than in and out of pubs and clubs. "The guests are all in reception by the lifts, so if you could load in through the back doors and use the stairs...we're on the third floor...can you be set up and soundchecked in half an hour? We'll need the room...thanks so much..." :rolleyes: :D
[/quote]

That's your experience. Mine's been different.

clauster, if your cab really looks that bad bring it down to us and we'll have a look and refinish it if necessary. I don't know how old yours is but the overwhelming feedback we get NOWADAYS (bear in mind this all started in my garage in my spare time, five years ago!) is extremely positive about the look and fit and finish of the cabs.

The acrylic coating is applied by hand and therefore how it looks comes down to the skill and experience and attention to detail of the people doing it and the environment they're doing it in and the equipment they're using. You'd expect us to be a lot better at it after hundreds and hundreds of cabs wouldn't you? I know I was a lot better at playing bass five years after I started...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1376498136' post='2174979']
Why? Because they're both 2X12 cabs..?
[/quote]

Partly... But mostly due to the physics involved in enclosure design. There's an ideal sized enclosure for 2 drivers in a box... and this is dictated by physics... So it shouldn't really come as a surprise that a similar set of drivers results in similar sized cabs.

Not quite sure how people can say that these cabs 'look bad'. It has no real 'features' not to like, surely. They're just plain black boxes. I can see how some people love/hate the slightly 'toy like' look of the garish yellow Mark Bass stuff (a good marketing trick though, which they've nicked off KRK), and some people love/hate the distinctive aluminium cones on Hartke etc, but in my experience I've never had anyone ever comment (negatively or otherwise) on the aesthetics of my BF cab, and have certainly never had clients or other players (high profile or otherwise) think less of me because of it. You could say they look plain, but I think it's pretty far fetched to say they look bad or ugly to the point where you'd lose work!

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1376578209' post='2176354']
clauster, if your cab really looks that bad bring it down to us and we'll have a look and refinish it if necessary. I don't know how old yours is but the overwhelming feedback we get NOWADAYS (bear in mind this all started in my garage in my spare time, five years ago!) is extremely positive about the look and fit and finish of the cabs.

The acrylic coating is applied by hand and therefore how it looks comes down to the skill and experience and attention to detail of the people doing it and the environment they're doing it in and the equipment they're using. You'd expect us to be a lot better at it after hundreds and hundreds of cabs wouldn't you? I know I was a lot better at playing bass five years after I started...
[/quote]

That's a very kind offer Alex and amazing customer service.

I didn't mean to imply that mine looks dreadful - it looks fine and the finish is durable. The only damage it's ever sustained was my fault entirely and quickly and easily mended.

I just meant that there is something about some other finishes (Tolex etc) that does say "quality" (or "expensive"). Right now, I need practical more than I need that.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1376576947' post='2176328']
I absolutely love my Compact!

I must say it's nice to see Toasted keeping his Barefaced hatred alive. He's been putting the boot in since Alex first started his endeavour. I am sure he has his reasons because he regularly crops up in Barefaced threads to cause trouble.

Old school basschat trolling at it's best. He could teach the current off topic trolls a thing or too :D[/quote]

[IMG]http://www.josephpurcell.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wave.gif[/IMG]

Nothing personal here. Paul H and I have an understanding. He even follows me on twitter...

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1376577804' post='2176349']
That's your experience. Mine's been different.
[/quote]

I'm sorry, I thought with the 'I'd want' and 'the clients would be' in your original post that you weren't in this position, and you were solely in an originals band. If you've gigged in a function band and had comments passed by clients about the 'certain quality' of your kit, then I can only say that it's never, ever happened to me in years of experience. I'd be keen to hear where you'd had it from, if only so I'd be forewarned.

I always have a wash, though. :)

Actually, this is all a massive thread derail, so never mind...

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1376572694' post='2176245']
Regarding finish related things, if we switched to 1/2" ply then the front corners would be easier to fit because of the larger edge radius but the bare enclosures would then be about 1/2" bigger in all directions and would weigh 30% more without sounding any better.
[/quote]

Just out of interest, are you using 8mm akoume all round?

Sure i want my gear to look professional at a gig but i paid for it so i get first dibs on what it looks like so if i don't like it I'm not going to buy it, I'd also never use two odd cabs with different designs style wise and or dimensions (width wise, maybe height) , call me a gear slag if you want but until someone else us paying for them that's the way it will be :)

Muzz you have a PM to avoid any further derailment.

And explaining to Muzz what happened made me realise it's not about having sumptuous looking kit if you're playing posh events. It's about not using amps that look like they've come back from several world tours by particularly rowdy metal bands.

Will go and edit my post.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1376571303' post='2176205']
I think this attitude is a big part of what gets up people's noses about BF. Not all other heavier (or otherwise) gear sounds inferior. BF sounds good to my ears, but I don't think it's the last word in bass tone. Yes, for their size and weight they sound amazing, but if size and weight aren't an issue, there are rigs that sound as good if not better to me. They also look better made as well. I did say "look" better made. I have no concerns about the build quality.
[/quote]

There are gigs that looks and aethetics are an important part of the deal.
Some stages just would not entertain some kit...
and as for the question of weight, why would you care if you have crew..?
810 are heavy but they are known to fulfill their function well enough.

If your number 1 criteria is weight, that brings certain kit into the equation...and that
may be placed higher than tone or build quality.
Others place other qualities at the top of the list

It depends what compromise you want or can live with.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1376577283' post='2176341']
Sorry, but this is bollocks. :D The clients couldn't care less about particular rigs, much less bass rigs - ................
[/quote]

I think clients can care VERY much about the look of things. To the point that it has been pointed out to
us that the stage must be completely clear and the cable/power runs need to be black.
Some hotels are VERY picky about that but they pay a premium and they get indulged...or you just don't get the dates.

Can I be bothered about that..? no, but the money can be seductive

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1376590839' post='2176612']
I think clients can care VERY much about the look of things. To the point that it has been pointed out to
us that the stage must be completely clear and the cable/power runs need to be black.
Some hotels are VERY picky about that but they pay a premium and they get indulged...or you just don't get the dates.

Can I be bothered about that..? no, but the money can be seductive
[/quote]

Yep, the look of things generally, and neat cable runs (never been pulled for colour, but often for potential trip hazards - even if very unlikely), but if you're using backline, as long as it isn't visibly scruffy, they couldn't care less if you're using Behringer or Bergantino.