Why become a member? ×

rehearsing with a singer?

Hi,

I've just started playing in a very Newly formed band which is pretty exciting. We auditioned a singer last night - really nice guy and good vox -who said he couldn't do regular rehearsals but could do it remotely once we had riffs etc down then rehearse every do often.

This is far from ideal for me but I wondered if anyone did this successfully or if it was the norm?? Just curious really.
Cheers

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

You can practice at home until the cows come home and get your parts nailed...nothing wrong with that. But, working on the band dynamic and making sure the band can perform at a good level is very important. That requires time together playing the music and gelling together. There is no substitute for that. This guy will not work out if he can't make rehearsals.

If everyone does their homework away from band , or individuals get together to work out parts or harmonies, then the full band is not that regular, that could still be more effective than a band who does weekly session where no one comes prepared or organsied.

There are no rules, just goals.

Having said that, even I'd it worked, would he be free to gig ?

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1373608895' post='2139523']
If everyone does their homework away from band , or individuals get together to work out parts or harmonies, then the full band is not that regular, that could still be more effective than a band who does weekly session where no one comes prepared or organsied.

There are no rules, just goals.

Having said that, even I'd it worked, would he be free to gig ?
[/quote]
I wouldn't disagree with this but the singer still needs to rehearse like everyone else.

I have known bands that worked really well, with their main preparation at home and only occasional rehearsals. It requires EVERY member to be up for it though, and EVERY member to have the experience and ability for it to work. It would only take one member to be a bit lazy for the whole thing to not work.

I would also be worried about this singer's availability for gigs.

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1373583059' post='2139454']
Worried about not having any downtime so said he'd have a think- essentially it sounds like a commitment thing which I'm not sure will pan out. Unfortunately he sounded good and was a good guy.
[/quote]
Forget this is a band and imagine it was a job interview. Would this guy cut the mustard? He's bringing a new dynamic that probably won't work. Is he worth it? I'm not cool with this.

Can't rehearse, can't do the gig. That's been my experience, and I would be inclined to say that - for all being a nice guy and having some good vox might tick boxes - the inability or unwillingness to rehearse should be a deal-breaker.

Still, willing to be proven wrong - but just go into it with your eyes open :)

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1373586018' post='2139492']
You can practice at home until the cows come home and get your parts nailed...nothing wrong with that. But, working on the band dynamic and making sure the band can perform at a good level is very important. That requires time together playing the music and gelling together. There is no substitute for that. This guy will not work out if he can't make rehearsals.
[/quote]

This, IME. It sounds like a very odd arrangement to me!

It can work, Guns N Roses and The Sex Pistols apparently used to work on the music with the singer just listening and working on ideas silently. But, I`d say this was far from the norm and I wouldn`t be that comfortable with working this way.

[size=5][sup]I'd want to see it worked in reality as it means you will be rehearsaing, in effect on the gig.[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]There is nothing too wrong in that and if the band is good and the singer knows his stuff, this can go quite a way[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]but I would think he needs to put some sort of prep time in at a rehearsal just so you know and can be confident[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]you can carry it off.[/sup][/size]

[size=5][sup]If is limiting in some ways, but liberating in others and I would want to know what we could expect from this arrangement.[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]If you want to use very good people, there is normally some sort of restraint or baggage and the band can't often buy this[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]with gig money alone.[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]Some times there is a reason why some guys are available when they probably could easy cope with a better gig.. but they can come with their own costs as well[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]You have to work out if you can cope with the arrangements and is it worth it,.[/sup][/size]

Worked with a singer,long long time ago,he had nothing to do with the band,until we had the songs nailed,then we redid them on his terms,with his vocals,but he was really good,I mean real good..( did one gig all the band was sacked :mellow: ..haha ),so beware,never done this since,always grown a band together :rolleyes: ..best of luck with the band. :D :D

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1373586018' post='2139492']
[/quote]

+1. We occasionally rehearse without our singer, but when we do, it really highlights how much we rely on vocal cues in a lot of our songs. And when we had to get a new singer a few months back everything was fine pretty quickly in terms of song structures, but only now are we really getting the feel right. Ultimately, the vocalist is your front man, and you are the music needs to be supporting him/her. Hard to get that right if he/she can't make rehearsals.

Depends on what your goals are really and what you're playing. Nothing beats a really tight band and singers get more slack when it comes to practice/rehearsal but no one wants to work with a diva or a part timer without needing to. I'd be thinking long term and look for the person with a good working attitude who's willing to listen and learn and record every rehearsal so faults can be found and corrected