Why become a member? ×

How would you approach bass if you had only one finger on each hand?

xilddx

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1373415159' post='2137453']
Does this include the thumbs too?
[/quote]

My exact thoughts! Be impossible other wise.

But I'd go with root and fifths played lower than the root.

Now I'm thinking about it! You could do two finger tapping and all sorts of stuff! Damn!

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1373439810' post='2137506']

Thats a bit harsh. I just finished reading Bon Scotts biography and after Mark Evans was sacked , they brought Cliff Williams in because he was a better player.More technically minded and experienced. I think its just the music that calls for easy bass lines. At the end of the day, I would gladly thump out those lines to make as much dosh as them! ;)
[/quote]
Not knocking AC/DC at all - one of the all time classic rock and roll bands!

But, having played a few of their songs, the bass lines are very easy to play! Sometimes that's all that is needed...

If it were a change that were forced upon me, (through accident for example) then I'd probably start by taking a huge amount of psychological support from the likes of Rick Allen and the awesome Bill Clements who are just two who have rebuilt their playing and career after a loss of a limb. An incredible inspiration to all musicians.

I work with a lot of sharp spinny blades, and sometimes think what would happen if I lost several digits, as I've seen happen to others.
Emotionally, I'm a very logical thinker. If it's in the past, or can't be changed, move on and do the best you can.
Plucking hand, I could cope with a finger and thumb.
Fretting hand, it would be an interesting exercise and learning curve. At the moment, a lot of the time, the scales and arpeggios just 'happen' without much thought. Relearning with a single finger would force me to think about the intervals, possibly in a very beneficial way which would lead to a greater theoretical understanding.

I knew a guitarist who often tried to fret with just an index finger, as he found it challenging and engaged the grey matter a bit more.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1373411263' post='2137427']
Use a keyboard.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'd go with this idea. A good monosynth, with a couple of expression pedals for filter cutoff etc, and you could no doubt do something interesting. I think continuing to play music would be the most important thing regardless of attachment to a particular instrument, rather like the way Robert Wyatt adapted his music-making after his accident.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1373413560' post='2137440']
Cheatin bastard :D
[/quote]

I call it making the best use of the available resources!

TBH my playing technique is so rudimentary that provided I still had thumbs I could probably play most of the things I wanted with just a single finger on each hand, and simplify the bass lines of the songs I couldn't.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1373447808' post='2137600']
I call it making the best use of the available resources!

TBH my playing technique is so rudimentary that provided I still had thumbs I could probably play most of the things I wanted with just a single finger on each hand, and simplify the bass lines of the songs I couldn't.
[/quote]

Yeah I was only kidding Mike :) You're one those people who will make music on anything, the instrument is relatively unimportant compared to the music.