Why become a member? ×

How would you approach bass if you had only one finger on each hand?

xilddx

Yup, think I would go down the keyboard route too to be honest ... bass guitar would be too frustrating with such an extreme physical limitation. I could probably do more with a keyboard under those circumstances. As long as I could be creative and make tunes I'd still be a happy bunny.

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1373454727' post='2137719']
If Hendrix could play guitar with his teeth, I can play bass with mine :P
[/quote]

I was under the impression that he just held the guitar up to his face and did hammer-ons with plenty of gain. No teeth involved at all.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1373460529' post='2137809']
May I ask, how did you come across this talent? :)
[/quote]

I have no idea, used to be able to balance a bass upside down on my chin and forehead too.

All I can say is I was 14, Living in Aberdeen and waiting for guitarists to get an ounce of skill so we could jam :P I had lots of time...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1373447421' post='2137589']I work with a lot of sharp spinny blades...[/quote]

You're a ninja? Cool!! :D

But seriously, what a question Nige! It's like the plot of some kind of body horror musical. In response, I'd say that...

[i]Physically[/i] I'd have to re-learn how to play, but I'd cope with that. All depends on which fingers, of course. If I were left with just pinkies, I'd be a bit stuffed.

[i]Philosophically[/i] I'd think "f*** it", two fingers are better than none.

[i]Musically[/i] I wouldn't be so affected... I could rely on friends on play bass parts for me, and I'd still have sufficient fingers to operate a computer (my main 'instrument' for composing).

[i]Emotionally[/i] I'd be hacked off; perhaps a little self-conscious when waving at friends in the street ("For the millionth time, I am not wagging my finger at you in disapproval!!"), but I'd cope. Worse things happen at sea, etc.

So... anyone game for other body-mutilation-based hypotheses? Maybe, how would you approach trombone playing if your mouth fell off? [can someone's mouth fall off?? Let's assume yes].

Edited by Skol303

I've been thinking about this. If I had either my index or middle fingers plus my thumbs, I'd be ok. I play with a pick anyway, so that wouldn't change. I think I would get me a fretless, I feel like the freedom it would allow would help. And I'd probably start playing hippy, whale type music instead of metal. I like meditative music anyway and listen to it a lot, if I had a keyboard I'd probably be recording that kind of stuff now, with all my fingers.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1373454126' post='2137706']
Didnt Django Rheinhardt not play with just two fingers after an accident?
[/quote]

He did two fingered solos but still used the injured 3rd and 4th fingers for making some chord shapes.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1373487721' post='2138268']
It's only the end of your world if you let it be.

My grandfather lost both his legs above the knee as a recently married '20 something'.
Never stopped him from getting the most out of his life for another 60+ years. :)
[/quote]
My legs are the best part of me, I wish the rest of my body was in as good a condition as my legs, but, and I know this is easy to say, I think I could cope with losing my legs. Not my arms, though. People say you would cope, because you have to, but those people aren't like me, they don't consider suicide a viable option. And I think that's what I'd prefer. In this day and age you don't need legs to see the world, but to not be able to pick up a book and turn its pages... Or scratch an itch...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1373460879' post='2137816']
I was under the impression that he just held the guitar up to his face and did hammer-ons with plenty of gain. No teeth involved at all.
[/quote]

Well yeah but it looked good. And doubtless if I did that it'd sound better than my normal playing :mellow:

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1373490437' post='2138315']
People say you would cope, because you have to, but those people aren't like me, they don't consider suicide a viable option. And I think that's what I'd prefer. In this day and age you don't need legs to see the world, but to not be able to pick up a book and turn its pages... Or scratch an itch...
[/quote]

It really boils down to the value each of us places on different things and the way a limb loss impacts on those values.

Until we are unfortunate enough to end up in that position, we don't even know what the question is let alone decide on an answer.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1373490977' post='2138326']
Can't believe nobody has said this yet...... But I still have my thumbs...... Woo Hoo I can still do some slap :P
[/quote]

It's bad enough contemplating losing all but two fingers let alone having to endure a lifetime of slap on top of that... :P

I know an incredible guitarist who lost his right hand but has a hook that he grips a plectrum with. Unbelievable lead player, the guy is inspiring.

I'm not sure how I'd cope with it mentally, but I think having a positive goal like building playing skills back up would be a good route to dealing with it.