Why become a member? ×

I've never begged for a job before ..... but ...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1373455974' post='2137739']
Can you see the difference between saying you don't like a band or don't see their appeal, and just flatly slating them? I'm fine with the former, but tend not to listen to those who do the latter. I would say you drifted over that line, and I suspect you would not respond graciously if someone was to describe your own music in similar terms.
DV's guitar is kind of crude and rudimentary, but I think a lot of folk get off on the vocals, drums and sheer energy of the thing. There's nothing wrong with that!
[/quote]

Well put.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1373455974' post='2137739']
Can you see the difference between saying you don't like a band or don't see their appeal, and just flatly slating them? I'm fine with the former, but tend not to listen to those who do the latter. I would say you drifted over that line, and I suspect you would not respond graciously if someone was to describe your own music in similar terms.
DV's guitar is kind of crude and rudimentary, but I think a lot of folk get off on the vocals, drums and sheer energy of the thing. There's nothing wrong with that!
[/quote]

You know I know the difference. I know I drifted over that line, I don't usually, but in this case I did. I am terribly sorry for this moral transgression.

I did say the bloke on the drums is pretty good though, so it's not all bad is it.

Nice combination of sexism and transphobia (bloke on the drums, really?) on this thread too, very welcoming, guys...

For reference, i thought they were white stripesy too watching them on the telly at glasto. But the media were more interested in creaming themselves over a bunch of one direction lookielikies called 'the strypes' ripping off the early bee-attles..

Guess being derivative is ok for some people, hey?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1373456927' post='2137755']
You know I know the difference. I know I drifted over that line, I don't usually, but in this case I did. I am terribly sorry for this moral transgression.

I did say the bloke on the drums is pretty good though, so it's not all bad is it.
[/quote]
Sigh. I hate to be the no-fun, PC guy but misgendering is a classic playground bullying tactic. Even if the drummer [i]was[/i] trans (which I don't think she is), what of it?

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1373457328' post='2137762']
Sigh. I hate to be the no-fun, PC guy but misgendering is a classic playground bullying tactic. Even if the drummer [i]was[/i] trans (which I don't think she is), what of it?
[/quote]

Oi! I'm the no-fun PC guy on here! Stand aside!

The musicianship is never really the issue with this kind of music, but the attitude, energy and shouty singing is there, but having heard 3 different performances, I don't think the material is that strong...

All this was covered in the Jools Holland thread when they were on it anyhow, though I think the Black Keys got a mention a bit earlier....

Ok, my little stab at light-hearted irony got all f***ed up. I'm sorry. I have obviously come across as a sexist prick, and that wasn't my intention. I detest prejudice and bullying of any sort, some of you already know this.

What pisses me off somewhat is that because they are female, blokes on here start talking about how they are 'pure sex', how being a 'quim barber' is their ideal job, etc etc, and get away with that without nary a raised eyebrow. Virtually no-one has said they like Deap Vally's music, but that doesn't matter does it, because they are 'pure sex'. Are they feminists? Probably not, they are not The Slits. They are just another derivative band from LA being exploited by the sexist male-dominated music industry to make a few bob out of them (citation needed).

You know, I started a thread asking if BC members felt that playing live was better than sex. I received the most arsey, pathetic prudish PM from a rookie mod (who I've got on with well in the past and even had a jam with) telling me the thread had been killed and NEVER EVER to dare start a thread like that again, Basschat will not tolerate such threads. I even apologised to him (for nothing AFAIC) and didn't even receive the courtesy of a reply. And yet, we have massive cleavage avatars (with some BC members actually PMing the avatar's owners asking who it is! How f***ed up is that?!), sexist remarks, 'she's a right slapper' threads, and sh*t like that.

So can someone tell me what the f*** is going on here?

Thank you, rant over.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1373459351' post='2137787']
Ok, my little stab at light-hearted irony got all f***ed up. I'm sorry. I have obviously come across as a sexist prick, and that wasn't my intention. I detest prejudice and bullying of any sort, some of you already know this.

What pisses me off somewhat is that because they are female, blokes on here start talking about how they are 'pure sex', how being a 'quim barber' is their ideal job, etc etc, and get away with that without nary a raised eyebrow. Virtually no-one has said they like Deap Vally's music, but that doesn't matter does it, because they are 'pure sex'. Are they feminists? Probably not, they are not The Slits. They are just another derivative band from LA being exploited by the sexist male-dominated music industry to make a few bob out of them (citation needed).

You know, I started a thread asking if BC members felt that playing live was better than sex. I received the most arsey, pathetic prudish PM from a rookie mod (who I've got on with well in the past and even had a jam with) telling me the thread had been killed and NEVER EVER to dare start a thread like that again, Basschat will not tolerate such threads. I even apologised to him (for nothing AFAIC) and didn't even receive the courtesy of a reply. And yet, we have massive cleavage avatars (with some BC members actually PMing the avatar's owners asking who it is! How f***ed up is that?!), sexist remarks, 'she's a right slapper' threads, and sh*t like that.

So can someone tell me what the f*** is going on here?

Thank you, rant over.
[/quote]

Good post Nigel.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with musicians of either gender trying to look sexy and play with a bit of balls. In fact it enhances the performance.
And there's nothing wrong with observers of either gender fancying said musicians and stating the fact.

It's when it spills over from admiration into a kind of uncomfortable semi-agressive territory and people start making assumtions about a players sexuality or sexual behaviour ('slappers' etc) that it starts going wrong. Or when you get the assumption that because someone is trying to look good they can't play. (Of course maybe they can't play, but it's not likely to be a causal relationship!)

It's a difficult line to tread. I know I have made remarks about David Ellefson that I could probably be pulled up on.

But on a positive note, I don't think we've got any 'John Inverdales' here on BC!! :)

To echo what Nigel has said , I too have noticed that if you take any half- presentable looking woman and put a bass ( or indeed any other musical instrument ) in her hands she is inevitably the target of Benny Hill - like attention from male Basschatters . I am all for people saying what they really feel , but why is it that women in music cause men to react in this way ? Do they see an attractive woman in the supermarket and think to themselves "if only she had a Fender Precision in her hands I'd give her a seeing to she'd never forget " ? Surely most men, even musicians ( even drummers ) , could develop a sexual fantasy around something more imaginitive that than their partner sharing the same hobby ? Do men who enjoy doing DIY fantasize about women who know how to do a bit of grouting and who clean out their own guttering at the weekend ? When I made this point in a ( hopefully ) humourous way in another thread recently I was , bizzarely enough , accused of gross sexism , racism and castigated by all and sundry . I have very serious doubts sometimes about the reasoning skills of some members on this site . Or maybe it's me .

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1373464286' post='2137898']
I cant believe the sexist flag has been raised again. I said I liked them. Didnt say a word about what they looked like and made a joke about my ideal job and now I am a sexist. For f*** sake guys , get off your f***in high horses and get a life!!!!

So what if guys say they like the look of female bass players anyway? Its natural to check out the opposite sex and if they are doing something that you have an interest in, all the better. I bet any female bass players on this forum check out guys who play bass just as much. Its natural. Its what makes the world go around. To most anyway.

I too have an opinion of the resoningl skills of some on this site :(
[/quote]

I'm certainly not having a go at you , my friend , and I don't think having and expressing a sexual interest in a woman is neccesarilly sexist - it depends on how you express it . My point is just that I can't understand why otherwise fairly plain women with basses send otherwise reasonable folks into a frenzy of lust . That's sexist isn't it ? Oh well , I never claimed to be perfect . :unsure: Anyhow , I'd better go now , I've got to pick Mrs Dingus up from the quim barbers at four o'clock . :D

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1373464381' post='2137901']
Who wouldnt like the job of quim barber? You called the drummer a guy and you slag me off for a better joke
[/quote]

I was going to answer but what's the f***ing point if you can't read and understand what I wrote.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1373464286' post='2137898']
Its natural to check out the opposite sex and if they are doing something that you have an interest in, all the better.
[/quote]

Sir Thomas Beecham thought so to.

To a female cellist in rehearsal:
[i]"Madam, you have between your legs an [size=4]instrument capable of giving pleasure [/size][size=4]to thousands - and all you can do is [/size][size=4]scratch it."[/size][/i]

[size=4]Garry[/size]

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1373464831' post='2137911']
I'm certainly not having a go at you , my friend , and I don't think having and expressing a sexual interest in a woman is neccesarilly sexist - it depends on how you express it . My point is just that I can't understand why otherwise fairly plain women with basses send otherwise reasonable folks into a frenzy of lust . That's sexist isn't it ? Oh well , I never claimed to be perfect . :unsure:
[/quote]

I think you need to get out more dingbat. My original point was that they are people who make raw rock music and look great. Okay. They don't have a bass player - which is bad as far as this forum goes. So ..... I'll be their bass player. It's my kinda stuff.

You do seem to be one who make negative Marvin The Paranoid Android comments. Maybe you don't wish to come across that way. I dunno. Maybe you just think too much.

Nothing wrong with a bloke thinking a girl looks hot ..... while playing a guitar too. Works for me.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1373465162' post='2137926']
I think you need to get out more dingbat. My original point was that they are people who make raw rock music and look great. Okay. They don't have a bass player - which is bad as far as this forum goes. So ..... I'll be their bass player. It's my kinda stuff.

You do seem to be one who make negative Marvin The Paranoid Android comments. Maybe you don't wish to come across that way. I dunno. Maybe you just think too much.

Nothing wrong with a bloke thinking a girl looks hot ..... while playing a guitar too. Works for me.
[/quote]

Lord Of Darkness , you are very perceptive to see that I am one of life's pessemists , but then again , I have had a hard life . Just for the record , I have never accused you of making those kind of remarks about these ladies in question . I actually encouraged you to pursue your lust and am willing to offer practicalk help and advice on how to make your dreams a reality , even if the drummer does in fact turn out to be a bloke . As you rightly say , hot is hot and you need make no excuse for that .. I am just making a wider point about women with basses in general and it was never my intention to imply that you were a culprit in this instance . My apologies to you if that was what I inferred .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1373464831' post='2137911']
I'm certainly not having a go at you , my friend , and[b] I don't think having and expressing a sexual interest in a woman is neccesarilly sexist - it depends on how you express it [/b]. My point is just that I can't understand why otherwise fairly plain women with basses send otherwise reasonable folks into a frenzy of lust . That's sexist isn't it ? Oh well , I never claimed to be perfect . :unsure:
[/quote]

Of course isn't, and neither are any of the permutations. But it's about context.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1373465932' post='2137936']
Lord Of Darkness , you are very perceptive to see that I am one of life's pessemists , but then again , I have had a hard life . Just for the record , I have never accused you of making those kind of remarks about these ladies in question . I actually encouraged you to pursue your lust and am willing to offer practicalk help and advice on how to make your dreams a reality , even if the drummer does in fact turn out to be a bloke . As you rightly say , hot is hot and you need make no excuse for that .. I am just making a wider point about women with basses in general and it was never my intention to imply that you were a culprit in this instance . My apologies to you if that was what I [s]inferred[/s] implied.
[/quote]

More girls with attitude and integrity:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZxxhxjgnC0[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQkSRVFRM[/media]
(Definitely not safe for work)

This discussion's all got a bit 'eavy, like.

Edited by jmchich

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1373463019' post='2137862']
To echo what Nigel has said , I too have noticed that if you take any half- presentable looking woman and put a bass ( or indeed any other musical instrument ) in her hands she is inevitably the target of Benny Hill - like attention from male Basschatters . I am all for people saying what they really feel , but why is it that women in music cause men to react in this way ? Do they see an attractive woman in the supermarket and think to themselves "if only she had a Fender Precision in her hands I'd give her a seeing to she'd never forget " ? Surely most men, even musicians ( even drummers ) , could develop a sexual fantasy around something more imaginitive that than their partner sharing the same hobby ? Do men who enjoy doing DIY fantasize about women who know how to do a bit of grouting and who clean out their own guttering at the weekend ? When I made this point in a ( hopefully ) humourous way in another thread recently I was , bizzarely enough , accused of gross sexism , racism and castigated by all and sundry . I have very serious doubts sometimes about the reasoning skills of some members on this site . Or maybe it's me .
[/quote]
I actually find the ability to wield a hammer, drill or welding torch quite sexy in women. I also like physically strong women. For some reason this scares some men.

What exactly is this thread about?

Musically... meh, they're not terrible but I've heard it before, done much better.

Aesthetically... well that's something of a minefield, they're attractive women sure (even the drummer, personally), but does, and should that matter? Watching that video, and other stuff I've seen of them, it seems undeniable that they're being sold on their sex appeal and gender, but is that a problem? I haven't a clue, there's a[i] lot [/i]of bands with attractive female members that are obscure because the music has limited appeal, so it's hardly an instant ticket to fame, case in point:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63guoWW5Y3E[/media]

Gender attitudes in music is hardly and issue we're going to settle on our quaint little forum, is it even an issue? Who knows, I'm going to go listen to some Rolo Tomassi, Wye Oak, Future of the Left, Bo Ningen, Deerhoof, Joy Formidable, St Vincent, and other excellent bands with female members. Is that positive sexism? I don't know, quit asking.

I liked the op track. I wouldn't buy their stuff but I can see why someone would like it.

On the sexism thing, I've no idea how to be PC or erm not sexist.......I gave in years ago trying to follow what I am allowed to say anymore.
Nige I thought your remark was funny because it was meant as a joke. So I laughed.

To bring the topic back to the original post, I like Deap Valley. If I had never seen them, I would still have liked it. They are playing what they want to play, and how they want to play it, and I wouldn`t run them down if they were ugly, but I don`t think the drummer is that bad to be considered looking like a man