Why become a member? ×

Andy Fraser

Hamster

Wow, I'd love to meet him; I love the basslines for Free, and his solo albums have some really lovely, soulful moments too*. I'd read years ago that he had totally given up playing bass - glad that's not (or no longer) true.

*'Train of Love' is a personal favourite

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1373153785' post='2134265']
I had the pleasure of meeting Andy last night - he's still got it :)

[attachment=138493:IMG_0252.JPG]
[/quote]

Was this the gig Sutton football club [Boom Boom Club] ?
A friend of mine was there, and said he enjoyed it.

Garry

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1373195736' post='2134511']

Did Andy have to deny reports that he was dead a few years ago?
[/quote]
He was extremely ill at one point and still has serious health issues...

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1373209923' post='2134719']

Hopefully he's free of all that now
[/quote]
I'm afraid that you can never be free of AIDS - hopefully he is managing it as well as possible...

Andy Fraser is a true great of the bass guitar . For years I wondered whatever happened to him but it turned out he was living a quiet life in San Francisco and not playing music that much . Great to see him rocking the bass again and I hope he will be playing a lot more in future . With skills like his , I am sure high - profile musicians will be queueing up to work with Andy Fraser if he has decided to get back into playing again .

Edited by Dingus

I still love listening to Andy's playing today. He has a slinky melodic style, years before people started playing that way. I have his latest solo album, 'Naked and finally Free', and try as I might, I can't recommend it as there are only a couple of tracks that really make it...plus the bass isn't featured in the mix...nothing like his early style.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1373211111' post='2134734']
I'm afraid that you can never be free of AIDS - hopefully he is managing it as well as possible...
[/quote]

Mr Machine.... should I tell him or will you?

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1373232737' post='2135199']

Mr Machine.... should I tell him or will you?
[/quote]
Tell me what exactly?

As I understand it, the dude has got AIDS. Not exactly a condition that can be cured by a doctor giving you a prescription, although these days it can be managed by drugs & a healthy lifestyle, etc...

http://m.classicrockmagazine.com/news/andy-fraser-how-i-got-aids-and-how-i-survive/

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1373237159' post='2135251']
Tell me what exactly?

As I understand it, the dude has got AIDS. Not exactly a condition that can be cured by a doctor giving you a prescription, although these days it can be managed by drugs & a healthy lifestyle, etc...

[url="http://m.classicrockmagazine.com/news/andy-fraser-how-i-got-aids-and-how-i-survive/"]http://m.classicrock...-how-i-survive/[/url]
[/quote]

As I read it RATM was being humourous.....Hopefully he's[b] free [/b]of all that now....

Obviously AIDS is a horrible thing to suffer from and everybody wishes Andy (or Mr Fraser to me as I do not know him personally,unfortunately.) all the very best.
I didn't know he was suffering from AIDS and I assume RATM didn't either otherwise I am sure he wouldn't have made the joke.

Incidentally, I heard a news report the other day that said nobody had to die from being HIV possitive these days as drugs had been developed to prevent it......I hope I have remembered that correctly....If that's true then it's great news indeed.

I genuinely meant no offence Peteb and understand that your knowledge of his condition would mean that you would miss the pun.

Like many on here I grew up loving Andy Frasers bass lines and can still now,,just about, manage a passable version of his lines to Mr Big from the live album....something that gives me great pleasure!
I wish him well.
Ray

Yes it was the gig in Sutton with a young lad called Tobi on guitar. I think with the right agent & publicity he could do quite well, very John Mayer like with some good original songs. Several Free numbers in the set as I don't think Andy would have been let off the stage without playing them.

He'll obviously never be free from his condition but he's got a great attitude about it and about looking after himself. Still the showman on stage, but he struck me as very humble about his success when we chatted afterwards.

I did invite him to the next South East Bass Bash - but he'll be in Japan :(

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1373251554' post='2135295']
As I read it RATM was being humourous.....Hopefully he's[b] free [/b]of all that now....

Obviously AIDS is a horrible thing to suffer from and everybody wishes Andy (or Mr Fraser to me as I do not know him personally,unfortunately.) all the very best.
I didn't know he was suffering from AIDS and I assume RATM didn't either otherwise I am sure he wouldn't have made the joke.

Incidentally, I heard a news report the other day that said nobody had to die from being HIV possitive these days as drugs had been developed to prevent it......I hope I have remembered that correctly....If that's true then it's great news indeed.

I genuinely meant no offence Peteb and understand that your knowledge of his condition would mean that you would miss the pun.

Like many on here I grew up loving Andy Frasers bass lines and can still now,,just about, manage a passable version of his lines to Mr Big from the live album....something that gives me great pleasure!
I wish him well.
Ray
[/quote]

HIV is the virus that can lead to AIDS. The human immune system cannot fight HIV like it can most other viruses. Eventually HIV prevents the immune system fighting infections, that is when Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome is likely to develop. It can be managed but not 'cured'. Just thought I'd better point that out as there seems to be some confusion.

Good on Andy Fraser for getting out there and doing what he loves.

Thanks Xilddx
I did know the difference but wouldn't have expressed it so eloquently!....

I just checked on the "news" I had heard about HIV and found this...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/03/2-men-cured-of-hiv-lymphoma-stem-cell-transplant_n_3540295.html

So yes there may be a cure ...but it's expensive and a bit impractical......still a little hope is much better than none!

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1373280157' post='2135524']
Thanks Xilddx
I did know the difference but wouldn't have expressed it so eloquently!....

I just checked on the "news" I had heard about HIV and found this...
[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/03/2-men-cured-of-hiv-lymphoma-stem-cell-transplant_n_3540295.html"]http://www.huffingto..._n_3540295.html[/url]

So yes there may be a cure ...but it's expensive and a bit impractical......still a little hope is much better than none!
[/quote]

Absolutely mate :)

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1373261191' post='2135306']
Yes it was the gig in Sutton with a young lad called Tobi on guitar. I think with the right agent & publicity he could do quite well, very John Mayer like with some good original songs. Several Free numbers in the set as I don't think Andy would have been let off the stage without playing them.

He'll obviously never be free from his condition but he's got a great attitude about it and about looking after himself. Still the showman on stage, but he struck me as very humble about his success when we chatted afterwards.

I did invite him to the next South East Bass Bash - but he'll be in Japan :(
[/quote]

Japan? Bah! He doesn't know what he'll be missing! :D