Why become a member? ×

June Composition Competition - Voting Time!!!

charic

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1372326739' post='2124261']
Yeah I've been looking at doing something like that. I must read up on how to do it all, I'm just being lazy really.

I'm so out of touch, when I used to record in bands everyone just went to the local studio and someone did it for you on an enormous and confusing looking desk with racks and racks of outboard gear.

These days one man and a PC seem to be able to produce top quality recordings. Skol's stuff on here is amazing quality, you'd have had to spend hours and serious money in a commercial studio for that when I used to record regularly.

Anyway I'm making myself sound much older that I am... back in the day... etc etc

Rob
[/quote]

Rob, to be honest with you, I think your recordings are quite good compared to what I would sound like using a laptop microphone. All you really need is a mic (or DI box) and an interface, then you can get some DAW, like Reaper which is free, or Garageband comes free on Macs, and you're flying. Record your video using your standard camera, mute the audio on it, put the track from your DAW over it, and you're done!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1372328870' post='2124306']
Thanks Rob! Trust me, it still takes hours (and in most cases days) to produce music 'in the box' using a computer. There's no magic involved... just graft ;) But of course it can be done these days without having to re-mortage your house to pay for racks of outboard gear.

I've plugged this book many times before, but for anyone interested this is [i]the[/i] most useful resource I've found for home music-making:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mixing-Secrets-Small-Studio-Senior/dp/0240815807"]http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/0240815807[/url]
[/quote]

Ordered! Thanks Paul :D

If you have any more books that would help a novice like me, I'd like to hear them :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372329180' post='2124312']Ordered! Thanks Paul :D

If you have any more books that would help a novice like me, I'd like to hear them :)[/quote]

No probs Milty! It's a great book. You realise that it's author, Mike Senior, is the same Mike who gave detailed comments on last month's mixing challenge?? (just saying in case you hadn't twigged the connection ;)).

Here are some other books I have at home... but I'd wait until you're finished with 'Mixing Secrets' as you might not need them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mixing-Audio-Concepts-Practices-Tools/dp/0240522222/ref=pd_sim_b_5
^ Doesn't offer much that isn't already covered in Mike's book - if anything - but I'm just a geek who loves devouring books on this stuff. It's also a wee bit more technical, so not ideal as a first text.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZEN-Art-Mixing-Mixerman/dp/1423491505/ref=pd_sim_b_1
^ Highly recommended. It doesn't really tell you anything about the technical side of mixing, but it tell you a lot about how to [i]think about[/i] mixing.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1372332088' post='2124358']
No probs Milty! It's a great book. You realise that it's author, Mike Senior, is the same Mike who gave detailed comments on last month's mixing challenge?? (just saying in case you hadn't twigged the connection ;)).

Here are some other books I have at home... but I'd wait until you're finished with 'Mixing Secrets' as you might not need them:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mixing-Audio-Concepts-Practices-Tools/dp/0240522222/ref=pd_sim_b_5"]http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_b_5[/url]
^ Doesn't offer much that isn't already covered in Mike's book - if anything - but I'm just a geek who loves devouring books on this stuff. It's also a wee bit more technical, so not ideal as a first text.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZEN-Art-Mixing-Mixerman/dp/1423491505/ref=pd_sim_b_1"]http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_b_1[/url]
^ Highly recommended. It doesn't really tell you anything about the technical side of mixing, but it tell you a lot about how to [i]think about[/i] mixing.
[/quote]

I actually hadn't looked at the author, but that's pretty cool anyway! :D

Thanks Skol :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1372328870' post='2124306']
[size=4]I've plugged this book many times before, but for anyone interested this is [/size][i]the[/i][size=4] most useful resource I've found for home music-making:[/size]

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mixing-Secrets-Small-Studio-Senior/dp/0240815807"]http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/0240815807[/url]
[/quote]

I've ordered myself a copy too. I do struggle with mixing so I'm focusing on this for a little while. Cheers for the recommendation!

For those folks that are not aware, VI Control is a gold mine of great info
regarding all stuff related to this thread - Recording at home, Software, MIDI,
Composing, back slapping [[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4] [/size][/font][/color]B[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]leeding Ada :lol: :lol:][/size][/font][/color]

I have found it very useful over the years, and there are some very helpful Musicians hanging out.
[url="http://www.vi-control.net/"]http://www.vi-control.net/[/url]

Going to have another listen to all the tracks tomorrow, then try and vote then.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

V-v-v-voted. Some lovelies, some funky, some creepy but one of them really entertained me, capturing my vote!

This is my absolute fave thread on BC - it's like getting a free album every month and you never know what you'll get on it. There deffo should be a sticky at the top of every sub-forum to increase visibility to it.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1372357384' post='2124851']
For those folks that are not aware, VI Control is a gold mine of great info
regarding all stuff related to this thread - Recording at home, Software, MIDI,
Composing, back slapping.......

I have found it very useful over the years, and there are some very helpful Musicians hanging out.
[url="http://www.vi-control.net/"]http://www.vi-control.net/[/url]

Going to have another listen to all the tracks tomorrow, then try and vote then.

Garry
[/quote]Thanks for the link, will explore this site it looks a good one :)

WOW. First listening for me for any of the competitions. I am seriously impressed with you all. I'm not sure who to vote for but will have to hurry up.

Edit. Had to jump on the laptop to listen to Discreet's as I couldn't listen to it on my mobile. Listened again to a few I shortlisted and went with who captured me first time round. Good luck all of you.

Edited by mep

Ok, I've just finished listening and have voted. Loved it. Great work everyone. I've left comments on SoundCloud (mainly of the giddy, exclaiming sort!!!) but here are a bunch of notes I scribbled down along the way...

[b]SpaceChick: [/b]Bloody good first effort! Bristling with ideas. Nice baseline. Love the spoken word - it's like a Grimm's fairy tale set to music. Production needs work but that will come with practice. A very likeable track. You've done yourself proud.

[b]Steve:[/b] Nice title. Spooky. Beautifully ambient. Creative use of panning - I like! Some fantastic melodies weaving in and out throughout the track. I love that it's all bass… I did wonder whether it would benefit from a synth line or other form of instrumentation towards the end, but that's not a criticism (and I'm probably wrong!). I really like it.

[b]Mornats:[/b] Nice bass tone. The movie samples are great!! Ooh, nice beat coming in… Like the strings. And the guitar! This tracks builds nicely, plenty of variety too (apart from the beat - but that's not a big issue). Ah, and just as I type that the beat changes! Nice one. Kept me listening keenly from start to finish.

[b]Sibob:[/b] Hard to believe this is all bass and pedals - very impressive! Someone described it as 'Vangelis' in the comments (just checked and it was Bilbo) and I think that's spot on… and I'm a fan of Vangelis. Really like the minimalism and the [i]huuuge[/i] sense of space you've conjured up here.

[b]Stephen Houghton:[/b] Nice production - sounds good thru my cans. The panning is nice - especially the subtle like TB303 acid line that burbles away hard left (unsurprisingly I like 303s!). Wow… loving that throat singing/didgeridoo sound. And the news/documentary samples. Your vocal is little lost in places - needs to be a little more prominent in the mix, but that's a minor point. Good track.

[b]Bilbo: [/b]I really like how this slowly cranks up the anticipation from the start. Very atmospheric and gripping. Panning seems slightly odd - maybe a little too much to the right? (could be my ears). Lots of interesting ideas going on. The anticipation is kinda killing me…!! I'm expecting a wall of strings to flatten me any second now. Any. Second. Now. No? No. Probably better for it in fact.

[b]CamdenRob:[/b] I love what you do with that looper pedal mate, and bonus points for putting on a 'live' show! Great playing, as before. Lovely tone too. Super relaxed. Right down to the slug of wine half way through.

[b]lurksalot:[/b] Holy Moly Lurks, your production just keeps coming on in leaps each time mate! This sounds great. Really. I can tell you've gone to town on it. The drums are especially good for being MIDI - very convincing. Vocal is strong. Harmonica! Cool. Bass punches nicely. This is a well put together track.

[b]discreet:[/b] Jesus H! That opening nearly blew my head off. Oh yes, I'm digging this one already. Very much the sound of my youth :) [i][that smiley is very apt].[/i] Nice synth. Now bring in a beat…. do it! YES!! This is positively slamming. Literally made me grin like a raving loon.

[b]lowdown:[/b] Sounds amazing! I always admire your production skills mate. It literally fills my headphones. Nice rhythm. I especially like the scratchy, percussion stuff that's going on at the very edge of the stereo field. Really cool. Vocal sample is beautiful. Where are my socks? Oh, they've been blown off...

[b]bobbass4k:[/b] This is very well put together and thought out… some cool time signatures going on too. I love the instrumentation - beautiful guitars, synths; everything fits together very well. Wow, it really builds! I like the crunchy guitar coming in (not sure about the one in my right ear - a little harsh but it got my attention!). Ramping up now… this is awesome stuff! Very creative mate. The production could do with a wee bit of work, but that's a very minor criticism of what is otherwise a fantastic track.

My winner...?

[spoiler]Well, it was going to be Discreet (it just gave me a flood of nostalgia), then Garry/lowdown (stunning piece of work mate), but in the end it was Rob/bobbass4k that got my attention this month - a really cool and creative track, that clearly had a lot of thought put into it. Well done mate![/spoiler]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1372376188' post='2125166']
Ok, I've just finished listening and have voted. Loved it. Great work everyone. I've left comments on SoundCloud (mainly of the giddy, exclaiming sort!!!) but here are a bunch of notes I scribbled down along the way...

[b]SpaceChick: [/b]Bloody good first effort! Bristling with ideas. Nice baseline. Love the spoken word - it's like a Grimm's fairy tale set to music. Production needs work but that will come with practice. A very likeable track. You've done yourself proud.

[b]Steve:[/b] Nice title. Spooky. Beautifully ambient. Creative use of panning - I like! Some fantastic melodies weaving in and out throughout the track. I love that it's all bass… I did wonder whether it would benefit from a synth line or other form of instrumentation towards the end, but that's not a criticism (and I'm probably wrong!). I really like it.

[b]Mornats:[/b] Nice bass tone. The movie samples are great!! Ooh, nice beat coming in… Like the strings. And the guitar! This tracks builds nicely, plenty of variety too (apart from the beat - but that's not a big issue). Ah, and just as I type that the beat changes! Nice one. Kept me listening keenly from start to finish.

[b]Sibob:[/b] Hard to believe this is all bass and pedals - very impressive! Someone described it as 'Vangelis' in the comments (just checked and it was Bilbo) and I think that's spot on… and I'm a fan of Vangelis. Really like the minimalism and the [i]huuuge[/i] sense of space you've conjured up here.

[b]Stephen Houghton:[/b] Nice production - sounds good thru my cans. The panning is nice - especially the subtle like TB303 acid line that burbles away hard left (unsurprisingly I like 303s!). Wow… loving that throat singing/didgeridoo sound. And the news/documentary samples. Your vocal is little lost in places - needs to be a little more prominent in the mix, but that's a minor point. Good track.

[b]Bilbo: [/b]I really like how this slowly cranks up the anticipation from the start. Very atmospheric and gripping. Panning seems slightly odd - maybe a little too much to the right? (could be my ears). Lots of interesting ideas going on. The anticipation is kinda killing me…!! I'm expecting a wall of strings to flatten me any second now. Any. Second. Now. No? No. Probably better for it in fact.

[b]CamdenRob:[/b] I love what you do with that looper pedal mate, and bonus points for putting on a 'live' show! Great playing, as before. Lovely tone too. Super relaxed. Right down to the slug of wine half way through.

[b]lurksalot:[/b] Holy Moly Lurks, your production just keeps coming on in leaps each time mate! This sounds great. Really. I can tell you've gone to town on it. The drums are especially good for being MIDI - very convincing. Vocal is strong. Harmonica! Cool. Bass punches nicely. This is a well put together track.

[b]discreet:[/b] Jesus H! That opening nearly blew my head off. Oh yes, I'm digging this one already. Very much the sound of my youth :) [i][that smiley is very apt].[/i] Nice synth. Now bring in a beat…. do it! YES!! This is positively slamming. Literally made me grin like a raving loon.

[b]lowdown:[/b] Sounds amazing! I always admire your production skills mate. It literally fills my headphones. Nice rhythm. I especially like the scratchy, percussion stuff that's going on at the very edge of the stereo field. Really cool. Vocal sample is beautiful. Where are my socks? Oh, they've been blown off...

[b]bobbass4k:[/b] This is very well put together and thought out… some cool time signatures going on too. I love the instrumentation - beautiful guitars, synths; everything fits together very well. Wow, it really builds! I like the crunchy guitar coming in (not sure about the one in my right ear - a little harsh but it got my attention!). Ramping up now… this is awesome stuff! Very creative mate. The production could do with a wee bit of work, but that's a very minor criticism of what is otherwise a fantastic track.

My winner...?

[spoiler]Well, it was going to be Discreet (it just gave me a flood of nostalgia), then Garry/lowdown (stunning piece of work mate), but in the end it was Rob/bobbass4k that got my attention this month - a really cool and creative track, that clearly had a lot of thought put into it. Well done mate![/spoiler]
[/quote]

Thanks for the comments there, some nice words and much appreciated.

I'm definitely going to go down this route next month, list out a little mini review of everyones pieces like you and Luke have for this month.

58 voters so far as well, thats fantastic and thanks in no small part to some sterling work promoting the competition on other parts of the forum by Dad et al.

With several new people talking about entering next month this can only get bigger and better. Mind you, if there are twice as many next month I'll have to take a week off to listen to them all....

I can see yours and urb's compilation is riding high this month and I'm not surprised, its another quality peice and if it's still at the top come close of voting it would be a deserved winner. To be honest your composition is the yardstick each month, lets see if any of next months batch of new entries can come close...

Rob

What is apparant, to me at leadt, is evidence to support the old idea that creating great music is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. I can't find more than 2 or three hours a month to spend on this whilst others spend more or less depending on circs. The results are probably commensurate.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1372407399' post='2125282']
What is apparant, to me at leadt, is evidence to support the old idea that creating great music is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. I can't find more than 2 or three hours a month to spend on this whilst others spend more or less depending on circs. The results are probably commensurate.
[/quote]

I spent an hour writing a tune and five minutes with a camera.... then again I only have one vote...

Rob

I keep meaning to put in more effort, record my stuff properly... what with work and sheer laziness It's going to be 'click record, click stop, upload' for me next month too... still I do enjoy it.

I only got one vote last month too, I wonder if its the same person? I shall have to find out and bake them a cake....

Rob

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1372407399' post='2125282']What is apparant, to me at leadt, is evidence to support the old idea that creating great music is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.[/quote]

I'd agree with that. You obviously need that nugget of inspiration to start with (the 10%), but realising that idea and making the end result match what was dreamt up in the first instance is all down to graft. At least it is for me.

I typically spend 2 hours a day working on music. I fit this in around a busy work life (I'm self-employed) and family life (we have an energetic two year-old!), normally finding some 'cave time' between 10pm-midnight or 6-8am. It's not always so regimented, but I do put the hours in as and when I can. Obsessively so. I watch hardly any TV and nights down the pub are a rarity, which helps.

In a typical month I spend roughly 40 or so hours making music: that's probably split 10% practicing bass (which I'm keen to do more of...); 20% learning new techniques; and 70% mixing/producing new material. Less if work gets busy; more if I'm particularly inspired. Sometimes much more!

This month was an exception and involved lots of midnight oil being burned... but I wanted to do justice to the work of Mike, Rebecca and Donnie who'd all provided such great material to work with. For this reason, Mike and I are going to nurture this collaboration outside of the BC challenges to give us some breathing space and let things develop less hurriedly. Although there is something to be said for working to deadlines ;)

But yeah, I'm rambling. The 90% perspiration is where it's at. But I'm constantly amazed at what people here manage to put together in a fraction of the time I typically spend on it. There's real value in that too.

It's normally an elapsed week for me to write a track and get it up on Soundcloud. I usually spend a full evening laying out the main instrument parts. I usually start with a rough beat (to which I add variety to later on once I have more instruments down) then I put on the various instruments. So after 3-4 hours I'll have a working version of the song. Then I spend an evening or two (1-3 hours each evening) tweaking, mixing and adding little flourishes. Then I spend the rest of the week mixing, listening on various speakers/headphones and working out any problems. I try to leave more time between listens as the track nears completion as you just can't hear anything anymore after listening to it for so long.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1372411506' post='2125355']

I only got one vote last month too, I wonder if its the same person? I shall have to find out and bake them a cake....

Rob
[/quote]

Nope, it was me that voted for you last month. I didn't vote for you this month, although you were a good contender. I have said this before, but you are really the only person that I have seen that can make a song using a bass that I could actually listen to. There's no ego with you. You aren't showing off. You aren't a technical wizard. You just make great songs with a loop pedal, and I really admire that. In fact, most other times, I hate solo bass, but you are a rare exception, mate.

I will take that cake, however, if it's still on offer :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372412884' post='2125383']
Nope, it was me that voted for you last month. I didn't vote for you this month, although you were a good contender. I have said this before, but you are really the only person that I have seen that can make a song using a bass that I could actually listen to. There's no ego with you. You aren't showing off. You aren't a technical wizard. You just make great songs with a loop pedal, and I really admire that. In fact, most other times, I hate solo bass, but you are a rare exception, mate.

I will take that cake, however, if it's still on offer :D
[/quote]

Thanks mate, your always very positive with your comments / criticisms and I do appreciate them.

I'm definitely not a technical wizard as the occasional fretbuzz and misplaced 3rd will attest to...

I only baked a cake once in recent memory (and by recent I mean about 12 years ago) I had a girl coming round I was trying to impress with my baking skills... (dunno why I thought that would be relevent...) I made what can only be described as a jammy biscuit :blink: ... it turns out there are two types of flour, one rises, one doesn't...

Rob