Why become a member? ×

What price Jaco's bass?

John Cellario

If I owned the bass of doom and Jaco Pastorious's nipper came round looking for it and I was having my tea, I'd say 'Oi! Pastorius's nipper! [i]NO![/i] You wait till I've had my tea. And no sitting in my front room. Outside! Now! Sit in your car!" and if he said to me he didn't have a car I'd tell him to wait at the end of our drive by the hedge.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1374443734' post='2148910']
If I owned the bass of doom and Jaco Pastorious's nipper came round looking for it and I was having my tea, I'd say 'Oi! Pastorius's nipper! [i]NO![/i] You wait till I've had my tea. And no sitting in my front room. Outside! Now! Sit in your car!" and if he said to me he didn't have a car I'd tell him to wait at the end of our drive by the hedge.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]
Is that Michael Hedge, or is it "the hedge" from U2.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1372107545' post='2121803']
I remember an old story where somebody was listening to Jaco practicing on that bass...once he finished the listener commented on how amazing the bass sounded, Jaco put it down and stepped away from it and asked "Really? Well how good does it sound now?".

As good as Robert may be - he is no Jaco Pastorius...he was special. The bass is a bass.
[/quote]Great post.

I think most players have a certain instrument which they associate with a player, or band, which was a key influence on them (or recalls a happy time in their past).

Sometimes the image of what it would be like to play that instrument, is better than the actual reality. My key reference bass was always Pino's Musicman Stingray fretless. When I actually got to play it, I thought "this is nice, but it's just a normal bass".

• 9 years later...
On 24/06/2013 at 20:46, skej21 said:

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1372097902' post='2121581']

And why should he do that exactly?

Do you let the previous owner of your basses have them in their possession until you want/need them?

Try swapping the word "bass" for anything else you own and see if you want to 'compromise' your rights and possession with a previous owner just because it was 'dear' to them.

When the last owner of your car comes round, I assume you'll be allowing him 'fair' access to use it?
[/quote]

It's slightly different due to the emotional attachment. If the car you mentioned was the car of ayrton senna and his family wanted access to it, I'd be understanding as to why they had an attachment.

He should give it to the children of Jaco. Its their Dads bass no matter who has it. We call it Jaco’s bass because its the bass he used so much and is an object that connects Jaco to a world he no longer physically exists in. He does however live on in spirit and his DNA is all over that bass, his literal blood sweat and tears. A part of his soul is in that bass. These type of situations are nothing like buying a car. Its unusual because these people are loved and they arent mere mortals. They are wealthy in the extreme and talented in the extreme. I would want to give it to the kids of Jaco because its a nice thing to do for some kids that lost their Dad.

Edited by NiceguyEddie

I think Robert should remain the owner as he has a financial interest in the bass and I would imagine, have an insurance policy on it but allow the Pastorious family to have the bass if they want it. They then have the option to do with it what they like, display it, Felix play it, keep it locked under the bed and Robert can recall the bass as and when he needs it.

That would be my personal happy option but I'm not Robert or a Pastorious or know the full details so my view may not be suitable.

Put it this way. I doubt it will ever go missing or be painted over with Walmart el cheapo lacquer..In other words who ever owns it now is probably going to cosset it which is all we can expect. The bass for me tho is Jamersons second P bass I think which he recorded all those tracks with....Dont sppose it'll ever be found, if it survives at all.

Trujillo owns the bass but handed it to the family and has stated numerous times any decisions involving the bass will be made by the family.

In essence he is a silent partner.

He stepped in when the family were caught up in legal battles and provided the money to settle. 

1 hour ago, Bunion said:

Trujillo owns the bass but handed it to the family and has stated numerous times any decisions involving the bass will be made by the family.

In essence he is a silent partner.

He stepped in when the family were caught up in legal battles and provided the money to settle. 

He’s probably harvested the Jaco DNA and is growing stem cells he can inject. 

All respect, it’s a mass produced hunk of wood. That guy could have made a Harley Benton sing like you’d never believe. Owning the bass won’t bring back their dad, but if it helps then I reckon big Rob is doing the right thing. 

• Like 1

On 24/06/2013 at 00:43, JwK94 said:

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1372021558' post='2120813']
Rumour has it that Trujillo bought it but refused to give it to the family, instead opting to keep it in his private collection whilst allowing the family access to it. Don't know if that's true, just a rumour I heard somewhere and I don't remember seeing Felix etc with it... Anyone have more info?
[/quote]

Just as it says in the article that was posted, Trujillo owns it, but is willing to sell it back to the Pastorius' at any time for the same price he paid for it.

He obviously needs the dosh

Edited by leroydiamond