Why become a member? ×

Practicing at night - headphone amp?

Vladimir

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1371883796' post='2119051']
what I've done is gone and gotten some decent JVC in ear headphones (£20) and I've been using the Vox Amplug thing. A gain, volume and tone control on the device and it plugs straight into the jack of your bass. It's also got an aux to play along or to work stuff out, which is why I use it mostly. I'd also say that it sounds even better than my amp! (Then again I haven't got the best 1 in the world) :P
[/quote] +2

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1371883796' post='2119051']
I've been using the [b]Vox Amplug thing[/b]. A gain, volume and tone control on the device and it plugs straight into the jack of your bass. It's also got an aux to play along or to work stuff out, which is why I use it mostly. I'd also say that it sounds even better than my amp! (Then again I haven't got the best 1 in the world) :P
[/quote]

These work just fine, and they're cheap.

W.

As plenty have said, the Zoom multi-FX units work great for headphone practice. I'll also throw in the Korg Pandora for Bass, which is pocket-sized and carries an array of amp/compressor/effects to play with - the older ones can be had for as little as £30! I was selling my PX3B recently until I started tinkering with it more and more and decided to keep it.

Edited by Green Alsatian

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1371876185' post='2119038']
As KingBollock says. I use a Zoom B2.1u which produces a great sound. I think most effects processors these days will allow use of headphones. Zoom B1 is cheap as chips or B3 if you want a few more bells and whistles.
[/quote]
The b2 and b3 have basic drum machines built in also

Interesting thread. I didn't realise there were so many options!

I use these [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009703PZG/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]http://www.amazon.co...t?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url] plugged straight into the bass. I have to say the design of the product is terrible but the sound is pretty good.

For jamming I have the GB10 which goes to the aux input of the headphones.

Total cost around £190

Edited by EricOnBass

I use a Bass POD XT amp modeller with headphones for practising, I have had it about ten years or so now. I don't think Line 6 make them any more, or know what they are making second hand; but with 28 classic amps which can be twinned with different 22 cabinets and a further 50+ different classic effects, it does make practising fun.

I can also run POD run through an amp in a live setting, as long as the amp is set up for a very clean sound, I can get my Messa Boogie to sound something like an Acoustic 360 or my SWR to sound something like a 60's Marshall Major.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1371897705' post='2119270']
I just made myself a guitar lead with a 3.5mm stereo plug (wired as mono) on the end.

Plug it into my PC's soundcard, plug headphones in and away I go.

It also gives me a little mixer if I want to use the Media Player to play along with. :)
[/quote]
All my rack stuff goes through a little Behringer Xenxy 802 mixer and into my PC. Most of my PC audio outputs are handled by the mixer, too. Though I have a little patch bay with switches that I put together and built into my desk, to give me easy access to the sockets on my sound card. Also, I am able to control my Behringer V-Amp Pro and my Boss GX-700 using midi to USB leads. The PC is a brilliant solution.

Though, with a little Zoom multi FX pedal, it is easier to cart around if you wanted to, and it takes batteries and as has been said, has a built in drum machine and tuner. I sometimes take mine camping, along with my Cort headless Flying V because its hard case is small and will hold the Zoom pedal and headphones, too, and it's easier to store in the car while travelling than an acoustic guitar. It will even work through an aux in on a car stereo. Would love to get me a stick bass to take camping instead, but that ain't gonna happen.

The most loved solution for me was a headphone with built-in amp, mono jack input, stereo line input, and mix and tone knobs.
It was cheap as well as portable.

These days I don't like over-ear headphones that much anymore, and I switch between using either:
bass --> iPad with bass amp software--> in-ear-phones
and, maybe surprisingly:
bass --> Orange Micro Terror amp --> two Orange PPC108 cabs placed rather closely to my ears. Whoooooo!!! :gas:

Good luck!

best,
bert

I bought a cheap Behringer USB audio interface I use to plug my bass in to my laptop to play along with tracks, works great as it doesn't need another power source. I use free versions of AmpliTube and Guitar Rig to make it sound a bit nicer.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx

I also do a lot of practicing unplugged though, sometimes firing the laptop on etc. is just far too much effort ;)

I've got both a zoom b2 and a vox amplug. I think both sound great. Got the vox first which is great with the aux in for ipod but have be careful to switch my yamaha bb1100 to passive as active can make it a bit farty. The zoom sounds great and has a ton of sounds to play with and the drumbox is really useful. Neither should set you back more than £30 -40.

Straying from the OP, I use;-

bass - zoom b2 -mixer - behringer uca222 - desktop pc - sony amp - head phones/speakers
I I
tascam cd bt2 1tb cd/dvd library
korg synth
drum machine

I don't do alot of recording, but play/practice every day and I'm fortunate enough to have to have a 9x9 music room/den/shed/cave.......................and an amazing Mrs.

a big +1 for the zoom, shame it didn't have an rca imput.

Guys, quick question

So I was using my zoom 607 bass pedal through my Fender Rumble 15 amp.

Then I decided to play my strat for a little bit, and out of laziness I just plugged the lead into it and I played the guitar through the zoom pedal and bass amp. No distortion or effects used. It sounded pretty nice and clean, but I digress...

Question is, will this harm my bass amp or speaker in any way?

I remember someone telling me that you can't play an electroacoustic guitar through an electric guitar amp, cause the different/lower frequencies will harm the speaker. Does this apply to playing guitars through a bass amp as I mentioned?

Cheers.

P.s. Thanks for all the replies guys, gives me plenty of ideas for possible upgrades in the future. For the time being I'm liking my zoom 607 pedal. I didn't realis that I could plug straight into the pedal. I can't believe that I had the solution here all along!

[quote name='Vladimir' timestamp='1372024966' post='2120858']
will this harm my bass amp or speaker in any way?

I remember someone telling me that you can't play an electroacoustic guitar through an electric guitar amp, cause the different/lower frequencies will harm the speaker.
[/quote]

Nope. A bass amp may have been designed and built for a different voicing, eg. adequately representing low frequences and limiting the output of the highest frequences, but that's all.
Also, you may expect the output from a guitar to be lower than the output of a bass.

As to the electroacoustic guitar, I don't know what ever might lead someone to say something like that, but I may be missing something.
In my mind:
An alectroacoustic has no lower frequencies if it's not down-tuned. Of course an electric can be down-tuned as well.
There are no "different" frequencies. No amp or speaker says no to chosen frequencies within the spectrum it's built for.
The pickups of an electroacoustic with steel strings may work exactly like those on an electric. If microphones or piezo pickups are used, nothings changes as seen by the amp, let alone the speaker (pedagogical lie, but you'll forgive me).
The only thing I can see is a possible mismatch between guitar output and amp input impedances, and augmented noise from turning up the gain more.

That said, I might be wrong. I was wrong once in '63/'64 too, so I'm not perfec. ;)

best,
bert

Interesting thread this and I just bought the Jamup with bass pack and spent a few quid on effects and amps which is great. One thing that I am having a problem with is that all of the music on my ipad is stored in the cloud using iTunes Match and when you try and import a song into the Jam player it says error song is in the cloud or still downloading. Anyone know of a way around this?

[quote name='Noah Deere' timestamp='1371897159' post='2119264']I have a Vox Amplug, but wouldn't recommend it because the sound on it isn't great (there's always static in the back ground).[/quote]
[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1371897362' post='2119267']+1 I think the Vox Amplugs sound terrible. As do the IOS software amps.[/quote]

Really? The Amplug I have sounds great. Clean as a whistle. It is quite a cheaply made product, however, so I wonder whether you got a bum deal.

I also use iRig with AmpliTube and again, it sounds good. Well, as good as I'd expect for something that runs on my phone. The signal is certainly clean and hiss-free.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1371897362' post='2119267']
+1
I think the Vox Amplugs sound terrible. As do the IOS software amps.

CB
[/quote]

Presuming you have the bass one? Mine is pretty good. Can hear what you're playing although they do munch through the batteries

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1372077676' post='2121238']

Presuming you have the bass one? Mine is pretty good. Can hear what you're playing although they do munch through the batteries
[/quote]

Yep. The bass one.
Thanks ref the batteries. Will check.
Perhaps it's the types of basses I use - normally Bongo with its 18v circuitry or my XL2 which is actually hotter.

CB

[quote name='plunkrock' timestamp='1371944386' post='2120027']
I bought a cheap Behringer USB audio interface I use to plug my bass in to my laptop to play along with tracks, works great as it doesn't need another power source. I use free versions of AmpliTube and Guitar Rig to make it sound a bit nicer.

[url="http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx"]http://www.behringer...cts/UCG102.aspx[/url]

I also do a lot of practicing unplugged though, sometimes firing the laptop on etc. is just far too much effort ;)
[/quote]

I've never been able to make my UCG work, even after loading the driver's..sits in my spares box unloved now!