Why become a member? ×

The Smiths....

White Cloud

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1370645147' post='2104042']
I was always a bit disappointed with people who didn't like The Smiths.
[/quote]

I was always a bit disappointed with people who were disappointed with other people who didnt like the smiths and that made me studiosly ignore them even more :lol:

i did however listen sometime later after id sort of gotten over the whole prog-to-excess phase and quite like them

as for morrisey and marr spouting blx what more needs to be said that hasnt already ....marr's recent little puerile outburst forbidding 'call me dave' to like the smiths? johnny if you're reading this i would seriously go ask patsy kensit for a refund on those life coaching lessons ;)

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1370640809' post='2103978']
Hmm,I think not.
I remember Mike Joyce telling me that AR was a little overly funky when he first joined and had to tone it down a bit,but that pushing of the beat remained through all his work.
[/quote]
[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1370641102' post='2103982']
Thats not true.

[Andy Rourke's playing on The Queen Is Dead album] "[i]is something that no other bass player could match[/i]" --- Johnny Marr

[i][color=#405055]"He started off as a really good guitar player, but as I progressed, he got really interested in playing the bass. The two of us had this musical chemistry that everybody can hear in the Smiths. To this day, I’ve never met a bass player who isn’t super impressed by the way Andy Rourke plays. He’s a real one-off." --- [b]Johnny Marr[/b][/color][/i]

[i]"When I was fifteen, I formed one of my first bands with my best friend. He was at that time the best musician, one of the best musicians I’d ever heard. We were just kids. Then in 1982, I formed a band in Manchester and I asked my best friend to come play the bass with me. And he was still one of the best musicians I’d ever heard. And tonight thirty years later, I’m gonna invite one of my best friends in the world, and he’s still one of the best musicians I’ve ever heard. From The Smiths... Mr. Andy Rourke! "[/i][color=#405055] - [/color][b]Johnny Marr[/b][color=#405055] (introducing Andy Rourke onto the stage last month)[/color]
[/quote]

I stand corrected...

Interesting to note that the judge who presided over the whole legal unpleasantness commented that he found Andy to be honest and straightforward....and Morrissey evasive, truculent and to be of only a moderate intelligence!

Wow, what a spat.

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1370681858' post='2104263']
Interesting to note that the judge who presided over the whole legal unpleasantness commented that he found Andy to be honest and straightforward....and Morrissey evasive, truculent and to be of only a moderate intelligence!

Wow, what a spat.
[/quote]
And so to the lyric:
"Beware I hold more grudges than lonely high court Judges"

SOH required for Morrissey content.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1370681858' post='2104263']
....and Morrissey evasive, truculent and to be of only a moderate intelligence!
[/quote]

yes, it doesn't take too much grey matter to paraphrase Oscar Wilde, does it. :P Marr, on the other hand is brilliant, I went to his inauguration lecture as honorary professor at Salford University a few years ago - a lovely little thinker.

A really good article on the Smiths:

[url="http://foreverill.com/interviews/post87/trouble.htm"]http://foreverill.com/interviews/post87/trouble.htm[/url]

I went through a bit of a obsessive fan thing a good few years ago and have recordings of most of their live shows. A bit sad, perhaps!

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1370690741' post='2104407']
Andy Rourke: great player, end of.

And for all you people who missed Mr Marr on Jools...

[media]http://youtu.be/u6INUp_uxMk[/media]
[/quote]
Thanks for sharing....that was really good. Didn't realize Marr had such a good voice.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1370691836' post='2104436']
One of their best. I recently saw them perform this on "Rockpalast" on Sky Arts and it was even better!!
[/quote]

yeah I saw that. I Sky+'d it but yesterday it disappeared from my Planner :( like it was a time limited recording....

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1370720446' post='2104892']
Johnny Marr playing in May this year, with Andy Rourke as a special guest. [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zeQIscpBSk&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player[/url]
[/quote]
Very cool.

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1370720446' post='2104892']
Johnny Marr playing in May this year, with Andy Rourke as a special guest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zeQIscpBSk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
[/quote]

Nice one Kevin, really enjoyed that!

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1370637079' post='2103919']
+1 to that. Some of the Smiths bass lines are great examples of melodic playing, but the overall feel is what really stands out. We play What Difference Does it Make in my covers band. It's a dead simple bass line, but the feel, and how it just works for the song, is a fantastic example of a tasteful bassline really defining the song. Pulling that off live is actually harder than I expected it to be!
[/quote]

I think WDDIM is his best bassline

The Smiths are truly one of the great UK rock bands. Still surprised some people "don't get them".
I'd argue Marr/Morrissey have one of the strongest songbooks in music.

[quote name='superclive' timestamp='1370793486' post='2105578']
Hold them in the same group as The Bee Gees and Alt J.

You may have some awesome tunes but until you stop pissing about with the vocals I just can't listen to you.
[/quote]
If I were to play devils advocate I would suggest that although he is intensely annoying to some....he is inimitable. Is that ever a bad thing for a vocalist?

Just wondering.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1370643629' post='2104032']
Excellent...so glad I am not alone in my admiration.
[/quote]

Don't see any reason why you would be tbh. They were pretty popular in their day, and not exactly unpopular today in rock circles.

I like Morrisey . I can see why he might rub some people up the wrong way , but I think as a a lot of the things he has to say about certain things are spot-on , and as a creative artist his body of work is pretty imporessive by most standards . The Smiths couldn't have been The Smiths without Morrisey .

Edited by Dingus

Andy Rourke...didn't Mozza compare him to a Suffolk Colt, Atco, Webb or some other lawnmower.....what a twat, Rourkes basslines are what makes THE Smiths so very special a song within a song.

Edited by iconic