Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New bass just arrived

FinnDave

Just taken delivery of my new bass, a Fender Classic Series Jazz Bass with lacquer (nitro cellulose) finish. I bought it on Monday in Reading, but couldn't bring it home as I was on my bike, so it came today in a FedEx van.

I used to have one of the older classic series 60s Jazzes, and loved it, but for some reason decided to sell everything when I left Finland last year. I have pined for it ever since, and now have its new improved twin. It comes with a tweed finish hard case and seemed very playable in the shop. I'll fine tune the set up today and see how it compares to the old one and my current US Standard Jazz as well.

[attachment=136323:1-DSC_0002.JPG]

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1370424179' post='2100514']
Yes, that looks nice.
The finish does look a bit different to the US standards. Is the pup spacing the same?

You wouldn't maybe want to be back here now, about 25+ here today :)
[/quote]

I was told 28C in Kouvola (where I lived for 15+ years) yesterday, about 10 degrees more than here. Loved the Finnish summers, out riding my Harley every day.

I haven't measured the PU spacing, but it feels the same as the US Standard. I need more space to have them both out at the same time!

New bass looking better now, removed protective film from the scratchplate to let the tort shine and cleaned the paw prints off the neck and body. Checked neck relief, action, PU height, and intonation and, for the first time in my experience, all were spot on spec.

Sounds good through my little Ashdown EB180 at home levels, will take to rehearsal tomorrow evening and see how it sounds with the full band, possibly with my ABM 500 and 410 if I can be bothered to heave it into the car.

Fender does:

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/basses/jazz-bass/classic-series-60s-jazz-bass-lacquer/"]http://www.fender.co...z-bass-lacquer/[/url]

nice bass. Like a roadworn but in better condition. :D

Edited by deanovw

Definitely nitro, clearly stated on the box it all came in, plus it smells slightly of it. Definitely looks different to the poly finished one I used to have. This is a new range, and I had trouble tracking any down over here, lots of places waiting for stock.

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1370442883' post='2100934']
nice bass - I do not think the finish is lacquer (nitro cellulose) though
[/quote]

The OP is correct. Nitrocellulose lacquer finish and tweed hard case are the improvements made for the 2013 Classic Series '60s Jazz Bass.

Nitro is only available on the sunburst model though. Black and white models are still available but at the old spec (poly finish, no case!)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1370610884' post='2103426']
The OP is correct. Nitrocellulose lacquer finish and tweed hard case are the improvements made for the 2013 Classic Series '60s Jazz Bass.

Nitro is only available on the sunburst model though. Black and white models are still available but at the old spec (poly finish, no case!)
[/quote]
thanks I did not know that - yes nitro is definitely an improvement worth having

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1370611086' post='2103430']
thanks I did not know that - yes nitro is definitely an improvement worth having
[/quote]

The case is pretty good as well, nothing like the cardboard Thomann tweed case I had a few years ago.