Why become a member? ×

Has anyone read the Darrin Huff thread on Talkbass?

Stacker

Never heard of this guy before now.

Seems like a crazy situation. I'm very surprised that none of the guys owed basses appear to have tried very much to get any kind of restitution from him. They seem remarkably zen about the whole thing. I'd have been knocking down his door after a year, never mind ten!

Being a bass builder involves actually building basses , not being able to build them but not actually getting round to doing it in ten years . These folks should have had refunds several years ago . In effect , they have been scammed .

They look like bloody awful basses to me , to be honest . Kind of [i]faux [/i]- Carl Thompson wannabes . I suppose ten years is a long time in the world of bass building , and fashions change . By the time these basses get delivered they might have come back into fashion , though . I would love to know what the original projected delivery date was for some of these basses . If this was a U.K - based builder and it was Basschat members who were waiting , it would have been resolved a long time ago . Either Ann Robinson and Watchdog would have got involved or we would have got together and gone round in person and sorted the guy out in a vigilante fashion ,.

In ten years, those fellas who haven't got their bass did nothing, just let the saga roll on? I'd have been at the guy's door a matter or months after any verbal contract had passed its stipulated completion date.

The idea of throwing £4k at someone and having nothing to show for it after ten years is surely some kind of fraud? Proving it in court would be another matter.

Plenty of discussion on that thread about what they did or didn't do - unsurprisingly, whilst they were still believing the chap's excuses, they didn't want to pressure him and scare him off.

Still!

I think a few of them have timed out their options to really go after him legally, also.

Bizarre thread. I remember Dontcarebear complaining his Shuker was taking so long - and that's a comparative blink, compared to some of these waits!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1370345355' post='2099333']
I find it unbelievable how tolerant some of these people have been! TEN F*CKING YEARS! How can this Darrin prick live with himself?!
[/quote]

By retreating into a bubble, it would seem. Classic depressive, perhaps? I think a few of us would recognise some of the symptoms - I know I did. Just not quite to such a self-deceiving extent!

Catch 22 sounds awful - sue me and I'll go bust, and then nothing will be finished. Shameful.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1370345457' post='2099335']
By retreating into a bubble, it would seem. Classic depressive, perhaps? I think a few of us would recognise some of the symptoms - I know I did. Just not quite to such a self-deceiving extent!

Catch 22 sounds awful - sue me and I'll go bust, and then nothing will be finished. Shameful.
[/quote]

I haven't had time to read the whole thread, I suppose I should before leaping to conclusions. Still accepting cash off people though isn't he?

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1370324086' post='2099039']
In ten years, those fellas who haven't got their bass did nothing, just let the saga roll on? I'd have been at the guy's door a matter or months after any verbal contract had passed its stipulated completion date.

The idea of throwing £4k at someone and having nothing to show for it after ten years is surely some kind of fraud? Proving it in court would be another matter.
[/quote]

No idea what the limitation is in the USA, but if that happened in the UK, after 6 years you wouldn't be allowed to go to court. (Possibly the 6 year period starting from the breached date of delivery rather than the point of ordering it)

• 2 years later...