Why become a member? ×

I want a Stingray Tone.

Dandelion

But I have a MIM Jazz bass, It is a very nice bass with a lovely polite harmonic tone, even when played acoustically. It can also do clank on demand.

But I want the distinctive stingray tone,

How do I go about this?

Will an ATK300 fit the bill? How about a Sterling sub?

Would either of these fit the bill?

My next move would probably have to be a trade, because I have no spare cash at the moment.

But before I put my beloved Jazz up for trade, what could I realistlcally hope to achieve bass wise in my pursuit of stingrayness.

Would an ATK300 / 400 or a SUB be a fair trade for a MIM Jazz bass? Or would I be wasting my time?

It is not my intention to get a trade on the strength of this post, but I am after an assessment of whether I am on the right track or not?

Alternatively, Are there any jazz bass pick ups which would approximate a Stingray?

All advice gratefully recieved.

All of those do pretty good approximations of a Stingray, and the actual Musicman SUB Basses (Not the new Sterling by Musicman SUB ones) are some of the best you can get for that kind of price. I've also been told that the Dean Hillsboro does a pretty a good approximation too, but haven't had chance to try one myself yet.

Liam

I am not familiar myself with the Ibanez , but the Sterling Sub will sound like a Stingray , for sure . No Jazz pickups will give you the Stingray sound though .In many ways the two sounds are the opposite of each other in so much as the Jazz has a pronounced and complex midrange and a cultured top end , whereas the Stingray has a midrange scoop , a massive bottom end and a slicing treble . The design and placement of the pickups on a Jazz will always prevent it from sounding like a Stingray .

Edited by Dingus

The new cheapo SUBs may be nice basses but don't sound like Stingrays. The original US SUB is a Stingray with a dodgy paint job and the Ray 34 by musicman sounds like one. Both of these are within your price range (I'd go for US SUB as I've owned two and they were great).

The old us subs are made with the standard stingray electronics, but s wired different, but can be changed to get te exact sound.

The Sandberg basic does a fine job and the quality control is top notch.

Pretty much anything with a big humbucker in the same place as a ray will give you the inherent punch and harmonic filled sound but with little variations.

There is a used sandberg is the marketplace for 400 which is around your budget.

How about Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2 pickups? They fit into a jazz bass but sound completely different.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7KJD8-IudA[/media]

Here is a bit about them as well http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/delano-jazz-hum-cancelling-pickups-982422/

Edited by kyboo

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1369568215' post='2090459']
I sort of like the idea of Delano hybrids:

With an East preamp, you should be able to get a convincing stingray tone while still having the option of sounding like a jazz.
[/quote]

I've got one of the Delano hybrids in my Shuker, and it certainly does a good job nailing the stingray tone.

And I used to own an Ibanez ATK. IMO it is the nearest you will get to a Stingray tone without actually owning a Stingray. They's got fantastic necks as well.

I have an excellent 1980 Ibanez Blazer that I have been told sounds like a Stingray.
It's very aggressive with tons of punch and growl, but I prefer the smoother sound of a Jazz bass for my current band.
I may be up for a trade.

[attachment=135608:DSCF0966.JPG]

[url="http://www.probass.co.uk/StingerEQ.html"]http://www.probass.co.uk/StingerEQ.html[/url]

Whack one of these in an OLP or decently made stingray copy and you will get you incredibly close to the stingray sound.

I've put one in a £200 bass made by JHS Vintage and it sounds fantastic.

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1369521405' post='2090185'] But I have a MIM Jazz bass, It is a very nice bass with a lovely polite harmonic tone, even when played acoustically. It can also do clank on demand. But I want the distinctive stingray tone, How do I go about this? Will an ATK300 fit the bill? How about a Sterling sub? Would either of these fit the bill? My next move would probably have to be a trade, because I have no spare cash at the moment. But before I put my beloved Jazz up for trade, what could I realistlcally hope to achieve bass wise in my pursuit of stingrayness. Would an ATK300 / 400 or a SUB be a fair trade for a MIM Jazz bass? Or would I be wasting my time? It is not my intention to get a trade on the strength of this post, but I am after an assessment of whether I am on the right track or not? Alternatively, Are there any jazz bass pick ups which would approximate a Stingray? All advice gratefully recieved. [/quote]

Look for a used EBMM SUB (the old US made, 2003-2006 one, with the black neck and headstock and textured paint), and don't look back. It has nothing to envy the "real" Stingray except maybe looks.
One was just sold on the forum for £300 and you will not find a better bass for that kind of price.

i have an ibanez roadgear the rd500 these are pretty good
ive owned a musicman sub usa and for the 130 i paid for the ibanez im really impressed with it
heres a link to someone playing a 5 string version[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q7QOv8rn9o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q7QOv8rn9o[/url]

[sub]Another vote for the US Musicman SUB basses. If you like the feel of a jazz neck and the stingray tone, the US Musicman SUB Sterling (not to be confused with the Sterling by Musicman SUB....why did they pick the same words but put them in a different order????) is just the job but you don't seem to see many about. They have 3 band eq rather than the standard 2 band but doesn't have the selector switch you get on 'proper' Musicman Sterlings. [/sub]

[sub]The bass piccie thing next to my details is my SUB 4 bass and I think it looks pretty nice with the changed scratchplate. SUBs seem to go for between £300 and £400 dependent on condition from what I've seen and paid for them.[/sub]