Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB750, should I swap to a Tone Hammer 500?

jembullo

Hi Guys

I have a lovely Aguilar DB750, which I love to bits, simply a great sound. I had chance to try a TH500 the other day and it sounded really good, almost DB750 like without the heft of carrying around. I only play pub gigs and have 2 x D112's, so TH500 would make a lovely portable rig, plenty loud enough for what I do.

Problem is I'd have to shed the DB750 to go with the TH500. Can anyone give me any experience of either, and what I might lose or gain through swapping out to a TH500.

Your feedback is always appreciated.

Jem

My opinion is that the DB750 is a CLASS amp...and up there with the very very few.
Certainly the best amp I've used and that includes 400plus and SVT's tubes
I think they are too much amp for a pub date which is why mine doesn't got out on those dates much
so I would be loathe to swap it in for the TH. I think the sound is ALL to do with the output stage
and as good as a TH EQ is... it doesn't have that back-end, ...but if you can reconcile that loss,
and I do regard it as a loss when comparing a DB750 to the TF550-B which I run as backup, then you will make
another end user very happy :lol: :lol:
I would put your TH in the same ballpark quality-wise..and I do like the TH pedal..

Me, I wouldn't do it... but whoever says the DB amp is 40lbs is raving mad.. more like 70...FFS..!!!!

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1368723855' post='2080764']
I know two, very heavyweight, serious touring pros who both have DB750/751's for their big gigs and TH500's for club type venues.

If it's good enough for them. . .
[/quote]

I know one (probably same person as one of the two you know). I've seen him with DB750 (or 751, I'm not sure) and two GS410's, and I've seen him with TH500 and one or two SL112's. And also, most recently, TH500 plus TH350 and three SL112's on a metal gig :D I do hear the difference, so does he, but he says it's just too much trouble to carry it all around for some gigs when he can just pack the little rig to his little car.

I personally wouldn't swap.

[quote name='such' timestamp='1368740295' post='2081086']

I know one (probably same person as one of the two you know). I've seen him with DB750 (or 751, I'm not sure) and two GS410's, and I've seen him with TH500 and one or two SL112's. And also, most recently, TH500 plus TH350 and three SL112's on a metal gig :D I do hear the difference, so does he, but he says it's just too much trouble to carry it all around for some gigs when he can just pack the little rig to his little car.

I personally wouldn't swap.
[/quote]

That is indeed the same person, I know this because we loaned him a 350 & SL to see how it worked :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1368736996' post='2081024']
So is "almost" good enough?
[/quote]

I think this is THE decision.
Personally, I would have them both... and that is why I retain the TF 550-B which is very good
but handles the smaller gigs better..in the way it doesn't force the bass throughout the room..almost overwhelming it..in a good way :lol:
like the DB750 does...or at least that is the feedback I get from people..

If I didn't have the DB, I was be perfectly happy with the TF550-B but having them to compare, the difference is discernable, IMO.

So, the decision on which amp to take out is made on what carry I want and how important it is to have the A rig on that gig....

Do yourself a favour and get the TH in and up to speed BEFORE you sell the DB750..??

A lot of my favourite players use the Aguilar DB750 but I don't care how good it is (after my Mesa 400+) I'm not carrying anything that heavy again.

I have just bought a TH500 as a backup to my Thunderfunk TFB750 but after only 2 gigs the band now want me to use the TH500.

I don't know how the Tonehammer stacks up against its bigger brother but I'd recommend you get one and compare them.

Save up. Personally I think you need both.

Having tried a DB750 recently I can't imagine the TH500 getting that powerful of a sound, I would definately look at getting the TH500 and be running them side by side for a while.

Remember DB750s are rare second hand for a reason and if you sell it you may never get another chance to own one again.

[size=3][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The whole amp design makes a huge different to how much slam the amp will have. Not just the power section, etc.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I've used and heard some Class D lightweight amps, (without a large traditional transformer) that sound absolutely huge and compete with the big tradtional amps.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Voicing is critical. If the amp is fairly middy when flat, [color=#000000]like the Tonehammer 500, or the Thunderfunks, then the amp can seem much louder. Some of the lower wattage TF’s have a very tight bass/hi pass filter response (which I like) which means wattage isn’t wasted on huge low end. Genz incorporated the same tight response on the Shuttle amps, which I personally like.[/color][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]Also, any indication of volume cannot come from the actual knob positions. A Markbass amp usually hits top volume at about 12/1 o’clock.[/color][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]I’ve heard that the TH500 slams, and is very loud. If the treble went a little higher on it, I’d try one out, (although I already have the pedal so I can just use the power section on one of my amps).[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1368788165' post='2081458']
I did this with a DB750 and downgraded to an AG500. Always regretted it.

[/quote]

I did something similar (DB750 to AG500 but with DB112 cabs).

I found the AG to be very differently voiced to the DB and swapped to a TH and preferred it.

In fact I spoke to Dave Boonschoft at Aguilar about this recently and he said that people trading from, or looking for a backup to, a DB750 would get on much better with a TH than an AG.

He also said that their likely perception will be that the TH sounds 'louder' than the AG if they're used to a DB because of the frequencies at which it's working (if that makes sense - he explained it much better than this!).

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1368789006' post='2081473']
He also said that their likely perception will be that the TH sounds 'louder' than the AG if they're used to a DB because of the frequencies at which it's working (if that makes sense - he explained it much better than this!).
[/quote]

I think its due to a mid voiced pre...which is something I personally really like.

I can see why any DB750 owners might consider a sale - I carried mine around a little last week and it's monstrously heavy, especially given the reasonably compact form factor. Getting it up stairs for a gig/storage is really no fun. I'm going to weigh it later - I'm sure the specced weight of 43lbs is way off. So, a major downside...however, then you plug it in and all makes sense

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1368961726' post='2083376']
I can see why any DB750 owners might consider a sale - I carried mine around a little last week and it's monstrously heavy, especially given the reasonably compact form factor. Getting it up stairs for a gig/storage is really no fun. I'm going to weigh it later - I'm sure the specced weight of 43lbs is way off. So, a major downside...however, then you plug it in and all makes sense
[/quote]

I'd be interested to see how much it weighs. I keep reading that it's heavier than stated but don't know anyone that's actually put one on some scales :)

Played the DB750 on Sat night in a smallish venue and it did kind of pin the audience to the back wall, but the sound is to die for. I used to lug an SVT Classic around so the Aggy feels light in comparison! I think the general verdict is to save and buy a ToneHammer and then have the choice, seems like a plan to me. As for DB750's coming around for sale, definitely getting a rarer sight on this forum, no one wants to sell them, those that do seem to regret it. Decision made, thanks to all who contributed, that's what I love about this forum : )

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1369046729' post='2084143']
I'd be interested to see how much it weighs. I keep reading that it's heavier than stated but don't know anyone that's actually put one on some scales :)
[/quote]

ha ha ...take it from me, it is nowhere near 43lbs... as in 29kgs...!!!!

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1369132084' post='2085117']
Sh*t!!! Almost as much as my old Trace Elliot combo (~40kg)!!! :o
[/quote]

But.... I have to say it is worth dragging around for a few gigs.
I don't tend to use it in pubs tho...

Edited by JTUK

I would have bought a DB750 long ago if it had not been so incredibly impractical for what I do. Currently using a TC RH750 but I'd quite like to make the swap to a TH500 soon so I could pair it up with a new Bergantino CN212, they work great together.

The only time I could ever see myself benefitting from the power of the DB750 is at considerably bigger gigs, but then those kinds of gigs always see me with the back line provided by the sound company working the venue (typically in Sweden for me) so it's never an issue then either.

Personally I would weigh up (literally) whether you consider hauling around the DB750 to be worth it all the time. If yes, keep it and don't bother with the TH500, if no, I'd recommend keeping the the DB750 anyway and buying a TH500 as well so you can pick and choose where you're gigging either amp. Personally I downsized my rig for a good reason.