Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB750, should I swap to a Tone Hammer 500?

jembullo

I finally got around to weighing my DB750 at the weekend - a little over 54lbs in its 3 space aguilar rack bag. I'm pretty sure that that bag weighs around 7lbs so the amp is around 47-48lbs. Lighter than I'd have thought but very much heavier than the quoted weight of 43lbs.

Mine comes in the Aguilar rack... which is a substantial unit.
I might see if a 4 u case is lighter..but it would need to be beefy...so not a cheapy.
Min standard would be a Gator, I'd suggest.

I knew mine was heavy as my 210 cab is around 62lbs ..and it sems the same sort of weight, all-in.

But having said all that... it isn't an amp I would use for small gigs anyway, so I am prepared
to lug it around for the right gig as is.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1369989988' post='2095185']
Mine comes in the Aguilar rack... which is a substantial unit.
I might see if a 4 u case is lighter..but it would need to be beefy...so not a cheapy.
Min standard would be a Gator, I'd suggest.

I knew mine was heavy as my 210 cab is around 62lbs ..and it sems the same sort of weight, all-in.

But having said all that... it isn't an amp I would use for small gigs anyway, so I am prepared
to lug it around for the right gig as is.
[/quote]
Same with me - I'd have the amp properly rack flight-cased for regular/touring use - it's worth lugging for the bigger/prestige gigs but not really an 'everyday' option

If it sounded that good I'd want to take it to [i]every[/i] gig.

Why have it if you don't?

The reason why you guys are saying you would only carry this amp to specific gigs is the reason why I would own something else, which would also sound great and that I[i] could[/i] take to every gig.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1370165760' post='2097058']
If it sounded that good I'd want to take it to [i]every[/i] gig.

Why have it if you don't?

The reason why you guys are saying you would only carry this amp to specific gigs is the reason why I would own something else, which would also sound great and that I[i] could[/i] take to every gig.
[/quote]

I treat it the same way as lighter/smaller cabs... in that I can tolerate the compromise, but I know it is there.

My B rig is TF550-B and Berg 112's ...so it is by no means shoddy IMO.. but the DB rig is the DB's.
If I do pubs dates, I will take out the small rig..but for decent stages and better gigs, I will take the A rig.

We aren't talking bad sounds here ...just good, and bollocking...IMO

I'm happy with that... :)

• 2 years later...

Interesting thread, the title of which is the exact same question I've been asking myself since A-Bing my DB750 with my B-15 and finding that the former fared pretty well, or at least well enough for me to question whether my assumption that, as my gigging days are largely behind me, I should keep the B-15 and let the DB750 and two DB112s go. Had the 750 not performed so well, it would have been a no brainer, my main interest now is going to be recording, and the B-15 is the definitive recording tool. However, it's not exactly a versatile gigging machine! Having said that, the DB750is perhaps not exactly a utilty gigging machine either (45lbs my a**e). So if the TH350 or TH500 might be good enough for the odd gig that pops up, I could sel the BD750 which, given the outlay I need to make, would allow me to keep the B-15 in the studio and take out a nice, albeit smaller Aggie rig, for the odd gig.

So, obvious plan was to sell the 750 and buy the smaller head, taking about £500 on the deal towards studio build and gear.

But..... If the DB750 records as well as the B-15, or close enough, perhaps the trick is simply to keep it and sell the B-15. That way I have a rig that works for both purposes and does both very well.

So a couple of questions. Firstly, does the DB750 record well acoustically and via the XLR? I guess my point of reference here is the B-15 (I don't have my desk set up yet so am unable to record side by side for a while). Second, in terms of recording, how would the TH500 fare compared to the DB750, again both acoustically and via DI? It certainly seems that the TH fares 'well enough' in live applications?

I hope the above makes sense?

Cheers

Chris

I've got the TH500 and the DB750. It's worth having both. I use a different rig altogether when I am on my day gig, but when I'm at home I use the DB750. The TH500 is my backup as it's so small and light you can take it with you anywhere just in case!

Edited by Higgie