Why become a member? ×

The Commitments Fender Bass

Jazzneck

Eventually watched The Commitments DVD last night and thoroughly enjoyed it - Mustang Sally included....

Now, I've got my anorak on......

[attachment=134772:thecommitmentsscreen.jpg]

I was intrigued by the Fender bass being used.
It looks like an old Precision or Telecaster bass and after a serious bit of squinting (not at the lady singers this time) I think I could make out that it was fitted with a white/cream Jazz style pickup, possibly with square magnets.
Does anybody know anything about this particular bass?

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1368542811' post='2078253']
Too busy watching Imelda Quirke......
[/quote]
....'s arse coming over the garden wall (or words to that effect) :D

Looks like a 54 type P with a retro fit pickup to me, but with Fender who knows?

I don't know about the bass, but Glen Hansard still plays the guitar he plays in the film, which I think is a Squier. He was very famous in Ireland for years as lead singer with The Frames (who were at times extremely good, at times a poor Pixies knock-off), and won an Oscar for a song from a movie in 2008 that he also starred in.

I covered music in Ireland for a few years as a reviewer and his press guys put out a release after a series of shows in, I think, Poland, where he lost the guitar and was distraught. It was found not long after. [size=4]Just shows you don't need the big gear to make a big impact. Knowing this has not dampened my gas one bit. [/size][size=4] [/size]

[quote name='magee' timestamp='1368544676' post='2078295']
I don't know about the bass, but Glen Hansard still plays the guitar he plays in the film, which I think is a Squier. He was very famous in Ireland for years as lead singer with The Frames (who were at times extremely good, at times a poor Pixies knock-off), and won an Oscar for a song from a movie in 2008 that he also starred in.

I covered music in Ireland for a few years as a reviewer and his press guys put out a release after a series of shows in, I think, Poland, where he lost the guitar and was distraught. It was found not long after. [size=4]Just shows you don't need the big gear to make a big impact. Knowing this has not dampened my gas one bit. [/size]
[/quote]

I saw that movie, that's where i recognised him from.... thank you.
:)

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1368548300' post='2078373']
Jimmy Rabbitt to a young lad standing at a lift with a horse:

"You're not going to take him up the lift, are ye?"

"I have to, the stairs will kill 'im"

:-)
[/quote]

Best lines in the film for me..........

Me and my best mate always quote this one:

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Jimmy Rabbitte, Sr.: What did Evel Knievel want?[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Jimmy Rabbitte: God sent him.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Jimmy Rabbitte, Sr.: What?[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Jimmy Rabbitte: God sent him.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Jimmy Rabbitte, Sr.: On a f*@king Suzuki?[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by NJE

It's a right handed slab bodied Precision played by a left hander. Maybe it's a Fender and it looks like someone's stripped the paint off.

Piece of sh*t to be honest. If you play left handed , buy a left handed bass. Aterall , I wouldn't buy a lefty and turn it upside down. Where's the sense in that?

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1368550893' post='2078440']
A certain Mr. Hendrix seemed to manage OK playing right handers upside down, didn't he?

I'm just wondering if this one is a very old P bass which has been messed about, that's all.
[/quote]

I think there is, or was a Hendrix tribute act roumd Brum where the guy plays a lefty strat upside down. Takes all sorts I spose.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1368550893' post='2078440']
A certain Mr. Hendrix seemed to manage OK playing right handers upside down, didn't he?

I'm just wondering if this one is a very old P bass which has been messed about, that's all.
[/quote]

Maybe if he'd used a left hander more I might find more of his overrated stuff worth listening to.

Billy Sheean used a multi tool to 'sculpt' his bass - doesn't make it the best tool for that job though.

I can't see anything odd about the pup from that pic. It's just a single coil P pup isn't it?

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1368553246' post='2078501']
It looks like a contoured body to me, in which case it may be a post '53 P bass. If it's a slab body, it's either an earlier P or a '68-'70 Tele.
[/quote]Definite forearm chamfer on what would be the upper bout to my eyes.