Why become a member? ×

The Commitments Fender Bass

Jazzneck

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1368571994' post='2078821']
The lass on the left was in the phantom menace

Awesome film though- I must watch it again!
[/quote]
Gah! That's what I was going to say! Now I can't remember if she's the very first or the second person to speak in the film. I think it's second because I think she replies to an order given by the captain of the star cruiser she's piloting.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1368535053' post='2078082']
From left to right,
Bronagh Gallagher, angeline ball, Maria Doyle Kennedy (who was also in an episode of father ted)

Hang on - you asked about basses, didnt you ...
[/quote]

LOL, Yeah what bass???

Edited by Sonic_Groove

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1368550327' post='2078425']
It's a right handed slab bodied Precision played by a left hander. Maybe it's a Fender and it looks like someone's stripped the paint off.

Piece of sh*t to be honest. If you play left handed , buy a left handed bass. Aterall , I wouldn't buy a lefty and turn it upside down. Where's the sense in that?
[/quote]

I dunno, but I reckon the late Keith Ferguson (Fab T'birds) rocked an old P-bass the wrong way round.

It's one of the 60's 'Telecaster' Basses, the first fender 'reissue' bass effectively, with a Dimarzio Jazz pickup.

It currently resides at the Hard Rock Cafe in Manchester, or it did the last time I was in.

"What did Evil Kenievel want?"
'God sent him'
"What?!"
'God sent him...'
"On a feckin' Suzuki?!"

Great film, loved it for years.

• Like 1

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1368613729' post='2079127']
I dunno, but I reckon the late Keith Ferguson (Fab T'birds) rocked an old P-bass the wrong way round.

[/quote]

Mate - folk play what they want , I couldn't care less BUT quoting examples of players playing an instrument the wrong way round does not prove it to be a good way to do it. However - choosing an instrument that's designed to suit the left or right handed player you are does show that you're interested in doing a good job of work because you picked the best tool for the job.

I believe yonder super rich Scouser first played right handed violin basses upside down because of availibility issues but at least realised that a feder style bass upside down looks and plays like a pig. Later - same dude swapped to basses that were designed for players like him. In short - he approached the issue like a professional and not some 'I know better than the rest of the planet and I want to look cool and grounded' dip stick.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1368657959' post='2080024']
It's one of the 60's 'Telecaster' Basses, the first fender 'reissue' bass effectively, with a Dimarzio Jazz pickup.

It currently resides at the Hard Rock Cafe in Manchester, or it did the last time I was in.

"What did Evil Kenievel want?"
'God sent him'
"What?!"
'God sent him...'
"On a feckin' Suzuki?!"

Great film, loved it for years.
[/quote]

Thank you, Andy - now on with the fun..............

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1368687202' post='2080100']
Mate - folk play what they want , I couldn't care less BUT quoting examples of players playing an instrument the wrong way round does not prove it to be a good way to do it. However - choosing an instrument that's designed to suit the left or right handed player you are does show that you're interested in doing a good job of work because you picked the best tool for the job.

I believe yonder super rich Scouser first played right handed violin basses upside down because of availibility issues but at least realised that a feder style bass upside down looks and plays like a pig. Later - same dude swapped to basses that were designed for players like him. In short - he approached the issue like a professional and not some 'I know better than the rest of the planet and I want to look cool and grounded' dip stick.
[/quote]

Quick question - if we all played upight basses would it matter if we were left or right handers?

........97,98,99 - change hands! ;)

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1368687843' post='2080104']
Quick question - if we all played upight basses would it matter if we were left or right handers?

........97,98,99 - change hands! ;)
[/quote]

Quick answer then - I have no interest whatsoever in upright basses so I don't give a monkeys - sorry B)

All I know for sure is however you're made it makes perfect sense to choose an instrument designed for the way you're made rather than one designed for someone who's made differently to you. What's so difficult to understand about that ?

BTW - I note some folks observation of contouring on the bass in question and I'm inclined to agree but it could just be discolouration/wear and tear on a slab body job. The blue flowers are starting to get thin at that place on mine. That's what it would look like if you took a vintage well played right handed bass and used it as a movie prop with a left handed actor.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1368691178' post='2080137']
Quick answer then - I have no interest whatsoever in upright basses so I don't give a monkeys - sorry B)

All I know for sure is however you're made it makes perfect sense to choose an instrument designed for the way you're made rather than one designed for someone who's made differently to you. What's so difficult to understand about that ?
[/quote]

Dr Dave - I agree with you completely.
I'm right handed and there are some RH basses, let alone left handers, that I don't get on with either.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1368697449' post='2080227']
I know nowt about upright basses. Quick question if its not too obvious, do leftys string them the other way around ?
[/quote]

Don't know either but I expect of you reverse the nut and the bridge because of the guage of the slots you can easily reverse the stringing and you're in business.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1368706750' post='2080397']

Don't know either but I expect of you reverse the nut and the bridge because of the guage of the slots you can easily reverse the stringing and you're in business.
[/quote]

Im no expert either but as with good quality acoustic guitars the thickness of the front face is different on the bass and treble sides and the sound post will need to be moved. But dont quote me on that. Godd film btw. Ages since i watched it

Trivia - the " Joey the Lips" part was originally written with the late great Rory Gallagher in mind as a roadworn, played with legends guitarist. Rory declined the offer to play the part, so it was rewritten for "lips"

Rory's bassman Gerry McAvoy played a bass ,( the right way up)., like the one in the picture.

One of The Corrs was in the film.

They are all Irish. Obv.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1368697449' post='2080227']
I know nowt about upright basses. Quick question if its not too obvious, do leftys string them the other way around ?
[/quote]Most string them as you would expect, thickest to thinnest, however, there are notable exceptions, Jimmy Haslip for instance, who basically learnt by flipping a right handed bass over and playing it upside down. I don't know if there are any other 'names' who do it this way, or BCers for that matter.

"It's much better being an unemployed musician than being an unemployed pipe fitter."