Why become a member? ×

3D printed basses

Bassman Sam

A company is starting to use 3D printing to make guitars and basses. The designs are a bit meh to me, rehashing Gibson Les Paul's but they can be made to your own spec as to hardware etc. It's an interesting concept and I'm sure we will see more of this in the future.
The prices are in line with other top end builders, 3500 NZ dollars or around £1925.

There's the link. [url="http://www.odd.org.nz/guitars.html"]http://www.odd.org.nz/guitars.html[/url]

What's your views guys.

Its only the body that is 3d printed, which is a bit of a swizz!

We need a fully 3d printed bass to test. I bravely volunteer to test it to destruction. (not by smashing it, just by my awful twanging)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1367397732' post='2064997']
What's the point?

Is it better than a bit of wood?

Is it quicker to make than cutting out a bit of wood?

Is it cheaper than a bit of wood?

Etc, etc.
[/quote]

I would love to see a manufacturer attempt to create those bodies out of wood !

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1367371856' post='2064893']
A company is starting to use 3D printing to make guitars and basses. The designs are a bit meh to me, rehashing Gibson Les Paul's but they can be made to your own spec as to hardware etc. It's an interesting concept and I'm sure we will see more of this in the future.
The prices are in line with other top end builders, 3500 NZ dollars or around £1925.

There's the link. [url="http://www.odd.org.nz/guitars.html"]http://www.odd.org.nz/guitars.html[/url]

What's your views guys.
[/quote]

They look fantastic, but I imagine neck dive will be an issue with the basses.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1367400582' post='2065049']
[size=5]I think if I had that sort of money to spend on a bass I would like to know it was made by hand with love and care by a worker who took pride in their work[/size]
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the designer who spend months or years programming the complex shape took pride in their work. Just because it didn't need a chisel doesn't mean it hasn't been made with care.

The tech is new. It is expensive at the minute, but as with all things it will get much cheaper.

More to the point - this is a stepping stone on the way to Star Trek replicators!

The typical 'Fenderites' that use this forum probably won't approve...

As for me... Nice! They all seem like extremely high quality 3D prints, which is impressive and justifies the price in my eyes. I'm also assuming that all design flaws that would normally come with having a non-standard body have been addressed. I would love to hear a sound demo too. :)

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1367410233' post='2065236']
They have a wooden core, I imagine this would help to offset any neck dive.
[/quote]

Even so, they'll still be extremely lightweight in the body, which combined with a strap button at the 15th fret...

[quote name='grumble' timestamp='1367400456' post='2065044']
I would love to see a manufacturer attempt to create those bodies out of wood !
[/quote]

Fair point, though why would they want to try when they could just use lego bricks or K-nex blocks and make something just as bad looking ;)

http://www.guitar-list.com/home-made-guitars/bass-guitars/home-made-bass-guitar/knex-bass

Using technology to make cheap things expensive. Good work. Maybe wait until the economics are right would be better plan. These are effectively skeleton guitars with fancier attachments, expensive novelties. Much more interesting potential to 3d printing out there.

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1367399083' post='2065023']
Do you think anybody would be printing out Rickenbacker headstocks in the near future? :yarr:

Oops....! :ph34r:
[/quote]

Might see a few custom TRC designs hitting the market at £100 a pop for a second hand one, the temptation must be there.

All good stuff in my view whether you like the styling or not. I love the Atom ones. Its a new technology and it will find its level eventually. However for the price I would expect a better resolution than that. The step marks are a bit obvious and big on the front body curve. Dont let them tell you its a design thing!

A