Why become a member? ×

Starting a band from scratch. Long, sorry...

Telebass

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367353393' post='2064678']
I've decided that there aren't many musicians that I know of in my area who have the same views, ideas and determination with music as I do. [/quote]

That's the thing, really. The fact we're here on a muso site talking about stuff like this means most of us are more than usually interested in the subject. As for yourself, you've already started charting your course, viz the proposed study course.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367353393' post='2064678'] I did befriend somebody recently who seems to share my views and tastes. We've jammed a few times, and it has always been cool, but I don't think he wants to form a band or anything.
[/quote]

Well, that's nice. :) Perhaps another person gently introduced into the equation might perform the function of a catalyst. Hope springs eternal.

[quote name='Rubbersoul' timestamp='1367354424' post='2064694']
We're based in and around Belfast and have our own practice space at Ballygowan. We play heavy alternative rock. The website link is in my sig and you can hear a preview of our soon-to-be-released ep (drummer permitting) through that.
[/quote]

Do you know Aaron Cushenan? He might be worth a try.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1367355109' post='2064707']
That's the thing, really. The fact we're here on a muso site talking about stuff like this means most of us are more than usually interested in the subject. As for yourself, you've already started charting your course, viz the proposed study course.

Well, that's nice. :) Perhaps another person gently introduced into the equation might perform the function of a catalyst. Hope springs eternal.
[/quote]

I'm not too bothered if he wants to form an act or not. He said he would help me write my songs and provide a few solos or whatever. It would be cool if we did start an act though. It would only be a hobby kind of thing though, nothing serious, I suspect.

[quote name='Lee Carter' timestamp='1367337115' post='2064407']
A Morris band!! Don't you have to re-tune every time you hit your guitars together? ;)
[/quote]

Re-tune? That would imply we've tuned in the first place.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1367337604' post='2064413']
Might join a morris side, what's the dough like?
[/quote]

We get the occasional free beer. Actually, we do get some paid gigs, but the dosh goes into general side funds and pays for stuff like rehearsal space, publicity materials and the squire's yacht. ;)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1367318091' post='2064027']
Sounds like you are wanting employees rather than band mates.

2 gigs a week (+ rehearsals) is impossible for a great many people.
[/quote]

Totally understand you wanting a great reliable line up, but I agree with FM here. It sounds like you are asking too much.

I've batted off 6 or so bands recently because they made me feel like I was auditioning for a job. Auditioning? For a really straightforward band?! Requirement that I MUST have a suitable car! C'mon, say that in somewhere like London, and people won't apply.

I wouldn't ever consider taking 2 days out of my week for rehearals, unless I was obviously doing it on a professional basis. As a musician, I'm more than happy to have very few rehearsals, practice to the music at home to save cost/time, and just gig.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1367396113' post='2064977']
Re-tune? That would imply we've tuned in the first place.

We get the occasional free beer. Actually, we do get some paid gigs, but the dosh goes into general side funds and pays for stuff like rehearsal space, publicity materials and the squire's yacht. ;)
[/quote]

Hmm... free beer you say... tempting...
:)

The word rehearsals and professional band are like fish and bicycle .
As soon as you hear regular weekly rehearsals you know you are going to end up dictating chords to a lazy guitarists, telling the drummer where to break and stop and what kind of beat to play.
The singer wont have any equipment other than a old microphone, not even a lead.

Those with a few years under the belt know that all learning is done at home to the record, no made up "improved" guitar solos and no made up drum fills.
The band only needs to come together to break the mojo of gigging, the material is learnt at home to the record in two or three blocks.

These are things that take 30 years to learn.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1367400533' post='2065048']
Those with a few years under the belt know that all learning is done at home to the record, no made up "improved" guitar solos and no made up drum fills.
The band only needs to come together to break the mojo of gigging, the material is learnt at home to the record in two or three blocks.

[/quote]

Agreed. Cannot STAND huge rehearals. Absolutely no need, unless you are a professional band doing it for a living, OR it is highly complex.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1367400533' post='2065048']

[/quote]

I think the problem is we may have been playing in bands for 30years, but there is a vast difference in experiences.

I've been in about 10bands and played with a few hundred musicians. If you need a written wish list then you probably haven't picked up the nessecary skills you need to spot and deal with fakers early.

Essentially, everyone comes with their own merits and little foibles, including ourselves.

Transport and pro gear are a given.
Pro playing ability, ability to keep a diary and reply to messages in a timely manner are also a must.
Coming to rehearsals having already practiced the required tunes to gig standard is also a must.
Musicians are by definition, arty and aren't good at the organisational sides of things. So you have to work round that.
Getting 4 people who enjoy the same music, want to play the same number of gigs, and in the right locations is another.

However, set a timescale, 3 months to learn 20/30 tunes, get photos, record a demo video and get gigs. Then a rehearsal once a month to add new tunes if necessary.

Communicate this with potential band members before even auditioning them. Weed out people who just want 'to be in a band' because 'being in a band' isn't what being in a band is all about.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1367403205' post='2065097']
Or you are an originals band and you need to write interesting catchy material with input from everybody.
That takes longer you know.
;)
[/quote]

what he said.
Weekly 4 hour rehearsals are the norm during the writing phase.
2 or 3 4 hour rehearsals prior to a gig (we rehearse up to 30 odd songs from our catalogue for each gig - we only play 20odd)

We only gig half a dozen times a year though.

if we gigging every week then we would only need rehearsals for writing.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1367405395' post='2065143']
I think the problem is we may have been playing in bands for 30years, but there is a vast difference in experiences.

I've been in about 10bands and played with a few hundred musicians. If you need a written wish list then you probably haven't picked up the nessecary skills you need to spot and deal with fakers early.

Essentially, everyone comes with their own merits and little foibles, including ourselves.

Transport and pro gear are a given.
Pro playing ability, ability to keep a diary and reply to messages in a timely manner are also a must.
Coming to rehearsals having already practiced the required tunes to gig standard is also a must.
Musicians are by definition, arty and aren't good at the organisational sides of things. So you have to work round that.
Getting 4 people who enjoy the same music, want to play the same number of gigs, and in the right locations is another.

However, set a timescale, 3 months to learn 20/30 tunes, get photos, record a demo video and get gigs. Then a rehearsal once a month to add new tunes if necessary.

Communicate this with potential band members before even auditioning them. Weed out people who just want 'to be in a band' because 'being in a band' isn't what being in a band is all about.
[/quote]

Wise words.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1367403205' post='2065097']
Or you are an originals band and you need to write interesting catchy material with input from everybody.
That takes longer you know.
;)
[/quote]

Yes, been there done that for 75% or so of my musical life, but once you hit a point, and you are ready, then weekly or bi weekly rehearsals, just because the guitarist hates his home life or job, and wants to drink/smoke a lot, are not an excuse for many rehearsals haha.

You're not wrong there Gareth.
I have been stuck with covers bands that do that, and others that thought they didn't need to rehearse when they really did.
:)

Been full circle now, spent years doing the original stuff, then got to my late twenties, did the covers thing, always with as little rehearsal as possible, and now in my mid 30s have gone back to originals cos some of the guys that do covers/turn up to watch are just unbearable after a while.
There's a fine line in the middle somewhere.
For covers bands, once every month or two to sort out new material is fine. Actually, for most originals bands that's pretty ok as well once you've got enough material to cover a couple of decent sets.

You know... I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one on here who LIKES rehearsing! The reason, I get to hang out with people I like and play music and have a laugh. Having done that we can go play some gigs too :D

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1367420217' post='2065424']
You know... I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one on here who LIKES rehearsing! The reason, I get to hang out with people I like and play music and have a laugh. Having done that we can go play some gigs too :D
[/quote]
used to like rehearsing, but that was when we were all mates, after a while all the sh*t that goes with being in a band sort of gets in the way of that, plus, unless you're doing new stuff it all becomes a bit pointless if you're gigging regularly anyway

[/quote]

I remember those days..... :)

Sunday was one of them in fact!

[/quote]

That's not rehearsing. That's "being in a band". I do that on a Tuesday. It's fun, we don't need to do it, it gets us out of the house.

My proper band are out gigging not in rehearsing.