Why become a member? ×

Starting a band from scratch. Long, sorry...

Telebass

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1367330024' post='2064272']
As a wish list it's good.
I have a wish list of a bunch of guys, probably enough for 2 and a half bands, all knowing the same set, and claiming to be the same band (mostly deppy types) who can throw a line-up together on short notice, not have to turn up if they don't fancy it and still keep a full schedule without upsetting anyone.
Preferably all multi-instrumentalists, so that switching is easy, and all able to sing well enough to cover pubby things.
That way commitment isn't an issue, and the whole thing is relaxed and nice.

It will never happen though.
[/quote]
Yup, that just might be perfect! *Dreams on*...
:D

The most important things are:
You all like the same sort of music.
You all get on with each other.
You can rip the piss out of each other without someone's ego getting bruised.
Ability and what gear you own is secondary, IMO, unless you can have a laugh together you will not last long.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1367330024' post='2064272']
I have a wish list of a bunch of guys, probably enough for 2 and a half bands, all knowing the same set, and claiming to be the same band (mostly deppy types) who can throw a line-up together on short notice, not have to turn up if they don't fancy it and still keep a full schedule without upsetting anyone.
Preferably all multi-instrumentalists, so that switching is easy, and all able to sing well enough to cover pubby things.
That way commitment isn't an issue, and the whole thing is relaxed and nice.

It will never happen though.
[/quote]

Except for the bit about singing, and the fact that it's guys [b]and[/b] girls, that's pretty much the way our morris band works. :)

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1367336990' post='2064404']
Except for the bit about singing, and the fact that it's guys [b]and[/b] girls, that's pretty much the way our morris band works. :)
[/quote]

I was going for the generic "you guys" kind, 21st century. It is now unisex.
:)
Might join a morris side, what's the dough like?

The way Telebass originally specced this would be a template for my ideal band. And - the issue of time-commitment / employment status apart - it all seems eminently reasonable to me.

Small amp guitarists, singer with his own PA and mic, flexible availability, reliable transport, regular gigging schedule couple of nights a week, no 'Sorry I'm gigging with the other lot' let-downs.

Judging by the number of rants we see here on BC about [i]all [/i]the above issues I think many would agree it's not actually a big ask. The only difference is that rather than start yet another fruitless moan the OP has flipped the negatives into positives and turned them into a wish list. Which seems to me to be a pretty constructive thing to do, even if it might seem a tough mouthful when read all in one go

If I lived a bit closer I'd sign up on the basis that I'd rather work with someone who's got a plan than stooge around with the kind of deluded, aimless hobbyists that so many of us seem to encounter at every juncture.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1367322024' post='2064101']
Sorry Telebass but I think you are wanting the Moon on a Stick!

I know you have said its your Pie in the Sky ideal. However, whilst I can appreciate the level of detail you have put into the information, I think it would out several people off.

If you want to start a successful project, I'd recommend you rein in your expectations and chat to people when they respond to a less intimadating advert.

To be honest, I think your equipment demands should be secondary to your primary aim of finding like minded musicians with your commitment and playing aspirations, so I'd focus on that and worry about equipment afterwards.

Good luck!
[/quote]

Yup, intimidating is the word for this advert. It's very commanding. Don't do this, you need to do that, we won't be doing this, here's what you need. And, no egos. Holy hell, that's a task in itself, let alone finding 3 of them that fit your description you have written!

Ask people you know who might be interested, and have a chat with them about it. Outlining the fine details of it in an ad is a bit heavy handed to my mind. I think you need to give the rough outline, then explain all the other stuff in a conversation with them. like - "I want to start a cover band that will do approximately 100 gigs a year, or 2 a week. Ideally a 4 piece." etc etc etc. Then after you get a response, let them know all the ins and outs of it. I think a lot of people wouldn't even be bothered to read that far, and mightn't even reply just based on the attitude of it.

I like the idea of what you are looking for and hopefully it will help you attract musicians with a more professional outlook, I really think your first step is to find musicians who want to play the same kind of stuff you want to play, build up a core of a band with them, then you can start to dictate what you expect from the other musicians, most players are going to look for a band that is going to be fun to play in rather than something you make sound a chore.

IMO a covers band needs to be an equal partnership between all it's members, from the tone of your original post it sounds like you would want to rule the band with an iron rod what worries me is that this approach would be more likely to attract just the type of egos or motivationless players you would want to avoid.

Anybody who does not need the gig money will cause problems and so will anyone who smokes anything funny.

To do it right, you need a van with a full PA and the setlist sorted, a theme band helps, heavy metal is out as pubs dont want to book it as the followers tend to "smoke" more than they drink.
Scooter/ Mod/ Punk types drink like fishes and landlords know this, they always get first crack and the best money.
General covers next and heavy rock is last.
You need a theme, a brand to sell, provide the van that leaves from your pad, the fuel comes out at source and the split is an extra way, so a 4 peice gets split 5 ways with the van costs and PA and lighting upkeep taking the extra split in to a kitty.

Everyone must take the same holidays, no more than two weeks in summer as this is the money making season.
No work is turned down, nobody sets limits on how often they gig

You soon set those who treat it as a job apart from the hobby crew and it is the only way to get any band to gig frequently.

Once you have these in place you will be surprised the number of applicants that will want a job.
There is a whole different crew to the hobby weekenders in the game and they know the crack.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367346330' post='2064539']
Yup, intimidating is the word for this advert. ... Outlining the fine details of it in an ad is a bit heavy handed to my mind.
[/quote]

:) To be fair, the OP keeps saying that it's not an ad and that it never was. It's a wish-list that exists only in his mind.

In the same way, it's a bit misunderstood for us to suggest that he's some sort of power-crazed dictator. Just unfortunate that he phrased the spec in the second person singular, because there's very little in that list that any of us would disagree with if [i]we [/i]were asked to spec out the ideal band.

I get the sense that some us may also be inclining towards the 'Who do you think you are, chum?' thing, which would be a complete misreading of his post.

Edited by skankdelvar

If I have read correctly, this is not an ad but more a wish list?

As a wish list I would agree with most of it except the amp sizes. Bigger just looks cooler :P And wouldn't an ego free environment be amazing!

But as an ad, I wouldn't reply. Too much 'do this, don't do that kinda thing'

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1367347328' post='2064552']

As a wish list I would agree with most of it except the amp sizes. Bigger just looks cooler :P And wouldn't an ego free environment be amazing!
[/quote]

wow just imagine - guitarers with big amps AND keeping the volume down AND no egos :lol:

ok so the volume thing is just wishful thinking i know but dont knock me please im having an optimistic five minutes here

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1367347149' post='2064548']
:) To be fair, the OP keeps saying that it's not an ad and that it never was. It's a wish-list that exists only in his mind.

In the same way, it's a bit misunderstood for us to suggest that he's some sort of power-crazed dictator. Just unfortunate that he phrased the spec in the second person singular, because there's very little in that list that any of us would disagree with if [i]we [/i]were asked to spec out the ideal band.

I get the sense that some us may also be inclining towards the 'Who do you think you are, chum?' thing, which would be a complete misreading of his post.
[/quote]

Of course it's ideal, but nobody ever gets what's ideal unless they have been incredibly lucky. You can find musicians who are willing to gig, but aren't willing to gig 100 times a years, and you can find musicians who are willing to gig 100 times a year but think they are God. The most I would expect to start out with is that all the members get along and gel well together, and are decent enough to be in a gigging band. Then start to fine tune until you get to a compromise you are happy with.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1367347654' post='2064562']
wow just imagine - guitarers with big amps AND keeping the volume down AND no egos :lol:

ok so the volume thing is just wishful thinking i know but dont knock me please im having an optimistic five minutes here
[/quote]

Let me introduce myself :) :D

Edit - I actually have no amp.

Edited by MiltyG565

The guy said its just a wishlist. Sounds totally reasonable to me and the ideal is to find three or four other career-minded musos who see things the same way. I quit my day job this year to work full time in music and this (apart from the exclusivity and the childcare, because a man's gotta make a living and the kids won't mind themselves) sounds exactly like the kind of committed regular setup I could do with getting into.

Good luck to you mate, hope you find what you're after!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367348264' post='2064569']
Of course it's ideal, but nobody ever gets what's ideal unless they have been incredibly lucky. You can find musicians who are willing to gig, but aren't willing to gig 100 times a years, and you can find musicians who are willing to gig 100 times a year but think they are God. The most I would expect to start out with is that all the members get along and gel well together, and are decent enough to be in a gigging band. Then start to fine tune until you get to a compromise you are happy with.
[/quote]

:) I take your point Milty and it is a good one.

Yet - and speaking only for myself - I can't help thinking that I might have achieved more of my musical ambitions if I'd set myself a few ground rules about the sort of band I wanted to be in. Rather than dick around in 'mates' bands for years (which was all very nice), a more focussed approach might have obviated the need for luck to shine its face upon me. Which it didn't.

So, if I'd once said 'This is the sort of band I want to be in', it would have been silly for me to throw those rules / objectives over the side if I'd decided to [i]start [/i]a band rather than join an existing outfit.

And to Telebass's list of must-have's, I'd append 'Willingness to read and fully comprehend written communications essential'.

Meeow! :P :lol:

It is possible, but you have to get the cleaver and chop off those only wanting to play in front of a few mates blowing smoke up their backsides.
As some already pointed out, to earn a living from music, the hobby goes out with the trash.

40 + hours slogging in a dead end job or 3-4 gigs a week doing what you love and making £600 a week.

It soon divides the camp and lots do do it, you just try and get an audition in a pro band, the list is endless.

But to mix the two,never works and never has, if you want to play at least twice a week, you need to put the line down and step over it.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1367350547' post='2064607']
:) I take your point Milty and it is a good one.

Yet - and speaking only for myself - I can't help thinking that I might have achieved more of my musical ambitions if I'd set myself a few ground rules about the sort of band I wanted to be in. Rather than dick around in 'mates' bands for years (which was all very nice), a more focussed approach might have obviated the need for luck to shine its face upon me. Which it didn't.

So, if I'd once said 'This is the sort of band I want to be in', it would have been silly for me to throw those rules / objectives over the side if I'd decided to [i]start [/i]a band rather than join an existing outfit.

And to Telebass's list of must-have's, I'd append 'Willingness to read and fully comprehend written communications essential'.

Meeow! :P :lol:
[/quote]

I've decided that there aren't many musicians that I know of in my area who have the same views, ideas and determination with music as I do. I did befriend somebody recently who seems to share my views and tastes. We've jammed a few times, and it has always been cool, but I don't think he wants to form a band or anything.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1367329372' post='2064257'] It's all a bit moot until you find a drummer you like. [/quote]

This. Our drummer left and we haven't been able to find a replacement. Still writing, still jamming, but going nowhere without a drummer.

[quote name='Rubbersoul' timestamp='1367353468' post='2064682']
This. Our drummer left and we haven't been able to find a replacement. Still writing, still jamming, but going nowhere without a drummer.
[/quote]

What kind of stuff are you playing and where are you based?