Why become a member? ×

Cog Effects custom build has arrived!

krispn

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1383911045' post='2270660']
:D I reckon that could be arranged B)

Roughly whereabouts in Shefftown are you matey? ...and have you got one I could meet before ordering or is stock whatever you've got finished at the time?
[/quote]

Sorry for the delay, long weekend away for Mrs TG's birthday! I'm in south Sheffield on the way out to Dronfield and Chesterfield. You can certainly meet one prior to ordering! Due to workload at the minute all pedals (including stock) are built to order, but I have a couple of 66's that will make their way into existence in the next week or so. Worth noting that if you want to get hold of anything quickly, my engraved stock pedals are the quickest option, as they are pre-engraved and drilled and merely await their innards...

Weekend's away for birthdays are a critical part of maintaining goodwill from significant others, highly recommended!

I could certainly get across to you one evening during the week when you've got one finished matey, that's definitely doable!

good tip about the etched ones, they look cool anyway!

The 66 isn't really on your website yet (apart from the sibob page) so there's no mention of price for it anywhere matey?

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1384259963' post='2274503']
The 66 isn't really on your website yet (apart from the sibob page) so there's no mention of price for it anywhere matey?
[/quote]

It's technically "in development" but people have been asking for it so I have obliged. I should have the final spec narrowed down over the coming weeks to be able to fully release it. I want to squeeze every last drop out of it essentially!

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1384262305' post='2274557']
It's technically "in development" but people have been asking for it so I have obliged. I should have the final spec narrowed down over the coming weeks to be able to fully release it. I want to squeeze every last drop out of it essentially!
[/quote]

How exciting! I shall eagerly await the formal announcement of the fully squeezed version :D in the interim I'd still like to meet a partially squeezed version when it's done ;)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1384351084' post='2275550']
He has 3 custom units of mine on the bench at the mo, which will bring my total to 5 (plus the aux switch he made for my eventide - so kinda 6), plus I have his mind working over another for the new year... I'll have a COG board before long. Easily the easiest pedal builder to work with!
[/quote]

quit hogging all the build time! hah

• 4 weeks later...

Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago! Too busy assaulting people with it to post but here we go...
Essentially a RAT and Knightfall in one box with a few tweaks but everything would be available on toms standard models anyway.
There is a page about it on Toms COG website with all the details.
I wanted to wait and use it for a while before gushing but yes, it's lovely.
Anyone thinking of taking the plunge should go for it with confidence.
There is also a Verellen big spider on my board which Tom put a clean blend in.

[attachment=150067:image.jpg]
[attachment=150069:IMG_3538.jpg]

Edited by tonyxtiger

[quote name='tonyxtiger' timestamp='1386509908' post='2300826']
Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago! Too busy assaulting people with it to post but here we go...
Essentially a RAT and Knightfall in one box with a few tweaks but everything would be available on toms standard models anyway.
There is a page about it on Toms COG website with all the details.
I wanted to wait and use it for a while before gushing but yes, it's lovely.
Anyone thinking of taking the plunge should go for it with confidence.
There is also a Verellen big spider on my board which Tom put a clean blend in.

[attachment=150067:image.jpg]
[attachment=150069:IMG_3538.jpg]
[/quote]

Link to Darren's custom pedal [url="http://www.cogeffects.co.uk/maximum-stoverdrive.php"]HERE[/url]

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1386523327' post='2301013']
sounds like my new new wont be getting started a while then. LOLZ
[/quote]

Au contraire mon frere, work should begin on this early in the New Year! Shep is getting a slightly ridiculous package in the post in time for Crimbo, along with a couple of others on here, then I'm on to the next batch which will include yours :)

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1386596010' post='2301894']

Link to Darren's custom pedal [url="http://www.cogeffects.co.uk/maximum-stoverdrive.php"]HERE[/url]

Au contraire mon frere, work should begin on this early in the New Year! Shep is getting a slightly ridiculous package in the post in time for Crimbo, along with a couple of others on here, then I'm on to the next batch which will include yours :)
[/quote]

Jolly good news bro. I have just brought PT Jr. But may have to upgrade to a 2 of I go ahead and get another BB.

Just got my Signor Gatto back from Tom, after a bit of pimping...

All I can say is GOOD LORD!! It's massive-sounding! So pleased :-)

And now for the technical details...Tom has applied the mods for his TK-421X, meaning that the "ratty" side of the pedal now sports a clean blend knob, along with a Low Pass Filter knob for the clean signal. This means that the screaming rat gain can now be mixed in with a filtered clean tone for serious low end!

I also asked Tom to remove the silicon diodes, and put a three-way switch in to select between LEDs, asymmetric LEDs and no diodes (you'd love this Si! ;-)).

Tried it through my Mesa tonight and fell in love!...If the missus hadn't dragged me out tonight, I'd still be playing it! :-D

Good work Mr Tom!

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1387398901' post='2311621']

I also asked Tom to remove the silicon diodes, and put a three-way switch in to select between LEDs, asymmetric LEDs and no diodes (you'd love this Si! ;-)).

[/quote]

It's ALL about asymmetric LEDs ;)

Si

Tom, one question! I am sure that you explained this before, but I couldn´t find it anywhere. Knightfall 66 has internal switch for each channel so user can choose between various types of distortion - Silicon, Rectifier, LED, Germanium or Mosfet.
Could you please (or someone else) describe very briefly the character of each type of distortion?

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1387398901' post='2311621']
Just got my Signor Gatto back from Tom, after a bit of pimping...

All I can say is GOOD LORD!! It's massive-sounding! So pleased :-)

And now for the technical details...Tom has applied the mods for his TK-421X, meaning that the "ratty" side of the pedal now sports a clean blend knob, along with a Low Pass Filter knob for the clean signal. This means that the screaming rat gain can now be mixed in with a filtered clean tone for serious low end!

Tried it through my Mesa tonight and fell in love!...If the missus hadn't dragged me out tonight, I'd still be playing it! :-D

Good work Mr Tom!
[/quote]

Glad you like it matey! The TK-421 and TK-421-X have been elevated on my release list, and are now immediately behind the revised Knightfall 66, which should be early in the new year...

[quote name='p58' timestamp='1387458171' post='2312159']
Tom, one question! I am sure that you explained this before, but I couldn´t find it anywhere. Knightfall 66 has internal switch for each channel so user can choose between various types of distortion - Silicon, Rectifier, LED, Germanium or Mosfet.
Could you please (or someone else) describe very briefly the character of each type of distortion?
[/quote]

Of course! In the Knightfall 66 the diodes clip a signal that has already been clipped by the opamp. As such, changing them doesn't have quite the same difference as in a circuit where all the clipping is diode clipping. The LED clipping in the Knightfall 66 only clips at higher gains, with much of the distortion coming from the opamp, the MOSFET clipping includes additional filtering on the higher frequencies so is a slightly warmer sound. Ge, 4001 and Si in the 66 clip in similar ways but at slightly different thresholds, they distort more than LEDs at the expense of some output (a gain recovery stage prevents this being an issue). The inclusion of all the above is total overkill, no doubt, but there was room in the box and it would give people the option to choose. The revised version (I say revised rather than final as I don't think there will ever be a final final final version!) will probably give a choice of silicon and LED on one channel, and silicon and MOSFET on the other rather than the current selection of five types on both channels. :)