Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Compact + Midget

Kevin Dean

I had that set-up and thought the two cabs complimented each other very well. In all honesty I found the Compact too smooth on its own, but adding the Midget in gave that added extra bite to the sound. Never really tried the Midget on it own. I suspect a Midget T would be even better as it gives more options.

I had this setup, compact and midget T. They were awesome together. The compact on its own was amazing. I never got on with the midget on its own.

Now I have a super 12 (no T) and I cannot fault it. I prefer the one cab solution.

I have Compact and Midget and, for how I use the rig, having the two cabs I think gives more flexibility. For gigs I use both together as they compliment each other beautifully. For rehearsing I tend to use just the Midget for portability. It is easy to tame with the eq if required - I have a scooped sound anyway but a little extra bass helps. Which all proves how subjective this is! Isle of Wight - not too far from Brighton! Why not pay a visit to Alex?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1367062456' post='2060784']
I thought I was alone in not liking the Midget.

I wish Alex made a 112 with a fat, quality full range tone that would challenge Berg and Aguilar 112's.
[/quote]

It was the midrange that got me to be honest. Yes, I could eq it out to a certain extent, but then that eq wasn't suited to the Compact when I used them together. The Compact on the other hand is pure bliss. Two of them more so.

The Compact and Midget is a great and very practical combination.

My preference is also for the Compact although I do gig and rehearse with the Midget alone too. As was said above, using EQ can make the Midget sounds very deep and loud but not as smooth as the Compact.

Together they are sublime.

I look at it like owning 3 rigs - either cab alone (Depending on the gig and space available) or both together. While I have heard the Super 12 at a gig and been very impressed with the sound, for me owning a Super 12 would mean me having to take one big cab to all gigs. That would be total everkill in some of the small pubs I play in.

Frank.

I had the same dilemma and ultimately went with the Compact + Midget. I like the choice of just using one cabinet, and if you're like me you'll be surprised how often you can just use the one. Barefaced are loud! I'm fine with either cabinet alone for gigs, although the compact is smoother and more like how I tend to like to sound. Together they're very impressive too.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1367186285' post='2062434']
Care to expand on that? Sounds intriguing!
[/quote]
It's a ceramic 1x12", a bit bigger than the Midget but not really any bigger than any other 1x12 on the market. It sounded WONDERFUL, honestly I would compare it to what people traditionally perceive a 1x15 to sound like as opposed to a 1x12. Rich, deep bass, beautiful smooth mids and a lovely velvety top end which was never harsh and never lacking. I have already told Alex I want to buy it once he's finished playing with it and having people beta-test it. I will sell the S12 to do so, it's that good IMO.

Several of us played it that day. I only played it at low volume but it sounded very good. Very light and compact but when Alex took the cab out to the other room we plugged in to the Big Baby.

I have to say that at that volume I preferred the BB.

I'd still like to hear one of the new cabs (or preferably 2) a gig volumes before I came to a final opinion.

[b]Edit[/b] - of course these comments might not be applicable now. The BF 112 cab you are using could have had several redesigns since the bass bash.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1367256147' post='2063263']
Several of us played it that day. I only played it at low volume but it sounded very good. Very light and compact but when Alex took the cab out to the other room we plugged in to the Big Baby.

I have to say that at that volume I preferred the BB.

I'd still like to hear one of the new cabs (or preferably 2) a gig volumes before I came to a final opinion.

[b]Edit[/b] - of course these comments might not be applicable now. The BF 112 cab you are using could have had several redesigns since the bass bash.
[/quote]

I remember emailing with Alex about these well over a year ago now. I wanted one then.

Gig volumes I thought the proto was amazing, it seemed to hold its core tone around the room better than the S12 and was surprisingly loud. I managed to get the protection circuit to kick in on one gig but we were f-ing loud and I had just had 20 minutes of solid compressed distorted tones going through it. I'd always prefer the protection circuit than a fried speaker so it didn't bother me.

When was the bash again? I gigged it Oct 2012...

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1367235577' post='2062859']
It's a ceramic 1x12", a bit bigger than the Midget but not really any bigger than any other 1x12 on the market. It sounded WONDERFUL, honestly I would compare it to what people traditionally perceive a 1x15 to sound like as opposed to a 1x12. Rich, deep bass, beautiful smooth mids and a lovely velvety top end which was never harsh and never lacking. I have already told Alex I want to buy it once he's finished playing with it and having people beta-test it. I will sell the S12 to do so, it's that good IMO.
[/quote]

Oh NO! NO! My Midget had cured me of GAS (except for wanting two.) /puts hands over ears. :)

For what it's worth I use mine with upright and an EA Doubler. With mids backed off, I'm told the sound is very good. Very flat response, sounding just like the bass, which is what I want.

I think the lack of colour is what bothers some people. But yes, the mids can bark and need a little taming.