Why become a member? ×

smoothly sliding up my fretless

SpaceChick

I am noticing that the slide is not that gentle under my fingers!! Blister forming nightmare!!

Can I do anything to my strings (La Belle flats) to make the glide smoother? (eg. grease them in someway?)

My audition tomorrow has two quite gorgeous fretless pieces, and I have a local music shop which is open after I finish work if I need to buy anything.

Thankyou :)

I've borrowed my guitarist's before. It can be a little too greasy if you put too much on, but play it in a bit and it just cuts down the friction & is a bit more gentle on the fingertips.

TBH, I usually just wipe my fingers on my forehead. I've not got particularly greasy skin, but it just helps to cut the friction a bit.

Edit: That's on roundwounds. I'm sure you won't have a problem with flats

Edited by Norris

I have the same problem with flats / groundwounds, they're just too smooth.

You could try Rotosound Solo Bass, they're pressure wound which means they're much smoother than roundwound but not completely smooth which make slides a bit more comfortable. Trouble is they lose their brightness pretty quickly in my experience.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1366905590' post='2058883']
I have the same problem with flats / groundwounds, they're just too smooth.

You could try Rotosound Solo Bass, they're pressure wound which means they're much smoother than roundwound but not completely smooth which make slides a bit more comfortable. Trouble is they lose their brightness pretty quickly in my experience.
[/quote]

My GHS pressurewounds don't stay bright very long either, usually only for a week or so. What are the Rotosounds like?

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1366891823' post='2058599']
KFC before each gig
[/quote]

Beat me to it, I was just gonna say, it's Jaco chicken grease time!! I used to play fretless exclusively :) never had that problem with Thomastiks though

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1366916363' post='2059073']
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_sebum"]This stuff[/url]

Contains lots of squalene (naturally occuring lubricant used by watchmakers and optical lens grinders). And it's free!
[/quote]

Eeeeew :blink: