Why become a member? ×

Songs which are harder than you expected

charic

Been feeling a bit of a dry spell with finding new challenging bass lines that are difficult but achievable. Thought I'd try some daft punk. Outside of my usual comfort zone stylistically but thought what the hell.

Bloody hell this is a culture shock :lol:

T's post reminded me I did once learn Aqualung for a bit of a laugh and though I got it to sound reasonably close to the original once I found a good transcript of it I realised that theres was a bit more to it than I thought (which didn't come as much of a surprise!). I had more problems with some of Glascock's basslines from the mid 70's though. I had to give up on 'Acres Wild' as my timing was all over the place.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1366790606' post='2057241']
Been feeling a bit of a dry spell with finding new challenging bass lines that are difficult but achievable. Thought I'd try some daft punk. Outside of my usual comfort zone stylistically but thought what the hell.

Bloody hell this is a culture shock :lol:
[/quote]

Snap! I learned the bassline to Get Lucky & then thought "I've always wanted to learn Around The World". It's a lot trickier than I expected. Especially the 3rd part that uses E C & B (which looks a piece of peepee on paper).

Voyager is another cracking song to learn & again will amaze you how tricky it actually is.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1366799682' post='2057430']
T's post reminded me I did once learn Aqualung for a bit of a laugh and though I got it to sound reasonably close to the original once I found a good transcript of it I realised that theres was a bit more to it than I thought (which didn't come as much of a surprise!). I had more problems with some of Glascock's basslines from the mid 70's though. I had to give up on 'Acres Wild' as my timing was all over the place.
[/quote]

Yeah its the timiing on Aqualung which gets me - when it goes from 8ths to 16ths - might give Acres Wild a try at some stage :)

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1366801591' post='2057486']
Yeah its the timiing on Aqualung which gets me - when it goes from 8ths to 16ths - might give Acres Wild a try at some stage :)
[/quote]

There's always some smartass...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw9cgPHru4c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw9cgPHru4c[/url]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1366827295' post='2057826']
I learnt 'Canned Heat' by Jamiroquai for an audition, which challenged me a little. Nailed it, though.
Then the audition got cancelled, so I needn't have bothered. I'm not a big fan of Jamiroquai, either.
[/quote]

Which reminds me.

Q: what's the difference between Jamiroquai and a cow?

A: the cow has the horns at the front and the **** at the back

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1366832353' post='2057928']
Keep practicing & you can then move on to "In God's Country". :)
[/quote]

Noooo! Not "In God's Country"!
That's Real Gunslinger Virtuoso stuff !!! :o :(

Seriously though, I'm really not looking down on this. In fact, U2's basslines were one of the inspirations that made me pick up the bass. I had this idea that simply being in a position to play stuff like that was enough for the whole project to be worthwhile, as I love the U2 bass so much.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1366834103' post='2057956']
Noooo! Not "In God's Country"!
That's Real Gunslinger Virtuoso stuff !!! :o :(

Seriously though, I'm really not looking down on this. In fact, U2's basslines were one of the inspirations that made me pick up the bass. I had this idea that simply being in a position to play stuff like that was enough for the whole project to be worthwhile, as I love the U2 bass so much.

best,
bert
[/quote]

Funny enough, it was mostly U2 songs that I started with too. I probably know how to play every song off the first 5 albums & then some of the others! :lol:

• 2 months later...

Came across this thread while looking for something else.

Lola by the Kinks - everyone in the band thinks they know it, but when it comes to doing it, no one can agree what bit comes where :D
Days by the Kinks is also another favourite for that to happen