Why become a member? ×

New Black Sabbath song "God is Dead"

chrismuzz

this is great, always wondered what Geezer would sound like in modern context, bashing away (although id say less than the sabbath days).
sounds like his tone is what id imagine a Darkglass B3K could acheive (even though im pretty sure he doesn't use one).
epic winning.

Edited by horrorshowbass

I liked the bass sound. The way that Bill Ward was treated kind of soured me on this whole 'reunion'. Production is a bit polished for me as well. Great riff at about 7 mins in, but then the guitar doesn't really do anything interesting to match the bass. Average.

This is track is epic !

I am always fearing the worst when bands reunite but this is some of the best Sabbath ever . I was a massive Sabbath fan as a kid , ever since I saw them doing Never Say Die on TOTP , and Geezer Butler , along with Geddy Lee , was the reason I took up the bass . The mood and overall structure of this track reminds me of Wheels of Confusion / The Fixer from Vol 4 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsJO2gQ5E5Q

Maybe Rick Rubin has encouraged them to evoke the spirit of those classic albums on this new project . I certainly hope so , if this track is anything to go by .

I love the extended form and changes in pace on this new track , and if the rest of the album is up to this standard then I can't wait . Geezers playing has always set the standard for heavy rock bass players , and on this track he raises the bar again - great tone and great feel , as usual . Brad Wilk is an inspired choice of drummer , too . Ten out of ten from Dingus .

[quote name='plunkrock' timestamp='1366375220' post='2051720']
Well put Dingus, I was worried about the same thing but this track is very Sabbath! I remember being a huge fan of Metallica when I was younger and the crushing disappointment of St. Anger, glad Black Sabbath are staying true to their sound.
[/quote]

Funnily enough , I always thought the last Sabbath " reunion " album with the Dio lineup that came out just over twenty years ago , Rehumanizer , suffered from trying to sound too much like Metallica's Black album , which was selling millions at that time . Thankfully , this new material sounds free of those kind of commercial influences and is only trying to sound like Sabbath .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1366375753' post='2051733']

Funnily enough , I always thought the last Sabbath " reunion " album with the Dio lineup that came out just over twenty years ago , Rehumanizer , suffered from trying to sound too much like Metallica's Black album , which was selling millions at that time . Thankfully , this new material sounds free of those kind of commercial influences and is only trying to sound like Sabbath .
[/quote]

Cant say I hear any similarities in those two albums the metallica disc is an over produced sell out while dehumanizer is dark and raw sounding.

If I was looking for a commercial sabbath album itd be never say die or seventh star

There are a few good tracks on metallicas fifth album but the direction from justice to the black album seemed a bit like abandoning their past for an mtv friendly sound

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1366391170' post='2052054']
Cant say I hear any similarities in those two albums the metallica disc is an over produced sell out while dehumanizer is dark and raw sounding.

If I was looking for a commercial sabbath album itd be never say die or seventh star

There are a few good tracks on metallicas fifth album but the direction from justice to the black album seemed a bit like abandoning their past for an mtv friendly sound
[/quote]

I would beg to differ . If you listen to the production on Dehumaniser in terms of the audio engineering , there is, the same exaggerated upper treble and lower bass frequencies as Metallica's Black album, giving the Sabbath album the same kind of scooped - out sound , and the density of the arrangements and overall style of some songs is also very evocative of Metallica's music of that era , to my ears at least . I was around at the time and I remember being struck by how derivative the Sabbath album sounded . Not a surprising direction to take considering the millions of records Metallica were shifting at the time .

Edited by Dingus