Why become a member? ×

New Black Sabbath song "God is Dead"

chrismuzz

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1366375753' post='2051733']
Funnily enough , I always thought the last Sabbath " reunion " album with the Dio lineup that came out just over twenty years ago , Rehumanizer , suffered from trying to sound too much like Metallica's Black album , which was selling millions at that time . Thankfully , this new material sounds free of those kind of commercial influences and is only trying to sound like Sabbath .
[/quote]

I'm a big fan of Black Sabbath with Dio... but Dehumanizer was a huge disappointment for me. Mob Rules and Heaven & Hell remain my favourite Black Sabbath albums.
Actually, I prefer to think of Black Sabbath as three bands:

1) with Ozzy, which I like, but second to:

2) with Dio, my favourite. and...

3) everything else, some of which I like a lot, most of which leave me uninterested

Uber-pretentious philosophical objections to the title and lyrical content aside, it's surprisingly good. My main problem with it though is that the modern production sounds very odd with the music, it kinda sounds like a modern band covering a Masters of Reality era Sabbath song.I'm now a lot more excited for the album though, Brad Wilk seems to have slotted in very well (assuming it's him on this track).

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1366394498' post='2052094']

I would beg to differ . If you listen to the production on Dehumaniser in terms of the audio engineering , there is, the same exaggerated upper treble and lower bass frequencies as Metallica's Black album, giving the Sabbath album the same kind of scooped - out sound , and the density of the arrangements and overall style of some songs is also very evocative of Metallica's music of that era , to my ears at least . I was around at the time and I remember being struck by how derivative the Sabbath album sounded . Not a surprising direction to take considering the millions of records Metallica were shifting at the time .
[/quote]

I listened to a few dio era sabbath tunes recently and thought that the dehumanizer tunes sounded more like a rough demo than the production on heaven and hell, mob rules and the devil you know.

Regarding metallica they went from thrash metal act with progressive tendencies to a stadium rock act in the space of two years, which to me seemed a bit too calculated.

I mean if you listen the last single from the justice album one to the first single from their fifth album enter sandman and there is a big style change.

Edited by megallica

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1366480660' post='2053144']
I listened to a few dio era sabbath tunes recently and thought that the dehumanizer tunes sounded more like a rough demo than the production on heaven and hell, mob rules and the devil you know.

Regarding metallica they went from thrash metal act with progressive tendencies to a stadium rock act in the space of two years, which to me seemed a bit too calculated.

I mean if you listen the last single from the justice album one to the first single from their fifth album enter sandman and there is a big style change.
[/quote]

I think that Heaven And Hell and Mob Rules are two of my favourite Sabbath albums , especially in terms of Geezer's bass playing , and I agree that Dehumanizer doesn't really match up them as an album overall but it is a valient attempt to stay current with what were the current trends in metakl at that time . On the Metallica thing , I remember when that album came out the momentum it had behind it , presumably because the record company saw the potential to market it and create a multi- million selling behemoth , which was exactly how it worked out . For the band it must have been all but impossible to stand in the way of their own success , even if they had wanted to .

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1366476668' post='2053092']
Uber-pretentious philosophical objections to the title and lyrical content aside, it's surprisingly good. My main problem with it though is that the modern production sounds very odd with the music, it [b]kinda sounds like a modern band covering a Masters of Reality era Sabbath song[/b].I'm now a lot more excited for the album though, Brad Wilk seems to have slotted in very well (assuming it's him on this track).
[/quote]

Now you mention it, I can see the similarity with this little epic:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9wF2DDyz2g[/media]

This new Sabbath song is a lot better than I was expecting it to be. I'm in two minds about the more modern production: on one hand, it's nice to hear Geezer's bass more clearly...on the other hand, it just makes it more obvious that Ozzy can't really sing, bless 'im.

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

• 1 month later...

Yeah, got it delivered on Saturday, came in early as I'd ordered it as part of an early bird ticket package for the Glasgow date in December...if the Glasgow Hydro ever f*ckin' opens that is...!!

Was actually pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a car crash to be honest, it's actually very decent I think. The tunes sound like they could be taken straight from the '70's era Sabbath in my opinion, although perhaps 'die hard' Sabbath fans might suggest differently. But all in all, can't say I found myself wincing uncomfortably at any tune on the album as I expected I would.

As some have alluded previously, the lyrics are somewhat 'sketchy', but that's only to be expected from a band who thought it acceptable to rhyme the word "Masses" with the word "Masses" in one of their biggest hits.

Been a very decent few weeks for rock albums I think with the superb Alice In Chains "The Devil Put Dinosuars Here" album followed by the QoTSA "...Like Clockwork", which is an absolutely beltin' album followed by the Sabbath album.

Enjoyed. I had pretty low expectations, as one might for this kind of thing - old legends coming back to relive their youth, we've seen it's like before.

However, they were really good at Download when I caught them; and I'd only heard good things about the live show... perhaps Ozzie was showing his age, but musically they were tight.

That probably sums this album up. Ozzie is perhaps the weak spot, and sometimes you're left wondering just how much work they put it into engineering some of the vocals; but the guitars and bass, really tight. Geezer's sound is superb, to my ears anyway.

So, yeah, a pretty credible edition to the discography!