Why become a member? ×

Custom pickguards from The Bass Doc

wateroftyne

Hi all

I recently took some pics of one of my basses and I realise they do a very good job of showing off its custom pickguard, made by BC's very own [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/4905-the-bass-doc/"]The Bass Doc[/url].

As I'm forever recommending him to people on BC, I thought I may as well start a thread I can point them to.

Anyway... this particular guard is especially notable for two reasons: It's a pretty complicated non-standard shape, with lots of cut-outs; and the tortoiseshell material used is much, much nicer than the 'pepperoni' style of most tort plates I've seen.

And, to top it all off, his prices are very, very reasonable. Drop him a PM before you buy something off-the-shelf...

I am a regular customer of Howard's and can totally vouch for the quality of his work. He made the custom BWB plate that is currently on my Geddy Lee Jazz and it is a perfect fit. It also makes the bass look far more classy than the standard white one :)

He did have a bit of an issue with meeting demand at the back end of last year, but remember that he is one guy working out of a workshop in his garage - so sometimes a bit of understanding and realism is needed! ;)

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1366310961' post='2050974']
Nice. Pardon my ignorance but what bass is that and what do the controls all do?
[/quote]

Yip... it's a Roscoe Beck. Quick run-down of the controls:

Passive volume, passive tone (pull up to emphasise bridge pickup). Switches select series / parallel / single coil for each pickup.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1366285306' post='2050471']
I am a regular customer of Howard's and can totally vouch for the quality of his work.
[/quote]
Another satisfied customer here. Just took delivery of a white pearl pickguard for my SR5 and the fit/finish is perfect.

Nice one Bass Doc!

Got a lovely tort 'plate from Bass Doc for my '75 RI Jazz and its stunning. As waterofthetyne mentioned, Howard uses some really nice material that he informed me is as close to the Pre-CBS tort material that you can get these days. Considering another one in black for the same bass so I can mix and match. Perfect fit and great quality/prices. Highly recommended!

Another one of Uncle Horrid's specials, he even custom built the bridge for this too B)
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kjon51/media/20130420_162306_zps6e28f98c.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kjon51/20130420_162306_zps6e28f98c.jpg[/IMG][/URL]