Why become a member? ×

What to do when things are seemingly impossible

timmo

I am learning the Bass.I get to points where everything seems impossible.I am trying to learn music, on top of trying to learn how to play, plus the tutor throws in roman numerals into the mix.Sometimes it just seems to much.I can play most of the scales, when it comes to how to play them, but if you asked me to play the Pentotonic Major, you would just get a blank stare, as i can`t remember what any are called.As soon as i see them, i know it.I have only been learning for 4 weeks, so i don`t expect miracles, it just seems too much to take in sometimes

It sounds to me like you may be taking on too many different scales all at the same time.

It will come. You will get there. If I were you I'd chill and learn some easy 12-bar Blues and other simple tunes and riffs. You need to get some enjoyment on the scene. If you don't you'll get bogged down and lose your motive. By learning some riffs you'll build up finger strength and agility.

If you're learning to read and want some simple tunes I can send you scores a few easy ones. PM me.

Edited by Grangur

Yes, it can seem a bit overwhelming, such is the amount of information available. The best advice is to take things in small "bite size" chunks, and dont spend any more that say, a half an hour to forty five minutes at a time learning theory. Otherwise the brain becomes over loaded with information and switches off. This is when learning becomes frustrating, and can lead to a person giving up altogether.

As has been mentioned, make sure that there is some fun involved, and that it is not all work and no play. After your stint of theory practice, try playing along to some of your favourite songs, and generally just chill out and have fun.

Dont be too hard on yourself. Four weeks is a VERY short time to be learning theory, but if you stick at it and take things in small steps, the pieces of the jig saw will begin to fall into place, and you will experience those "lightbulb" moments.

This web site should help. [url="http://www.studybass.com/study-guide/"]http://www.studybass.com/study-guide/[/url]

Best of luck with it. :)

Edited by Coilte

im learning to read and play at the same time only about 4 weeks in as well.
things are starting to fall into place that mass of lines squiggles n dot to dot suop is starting to make sense.
Dont rush it, remember its a new language your learning to speak and read
small parts over and over till your used to seeing it and playing it then move on and go back and start over again.

Just play.

Honestly, music should be fun...do not become bogged down in theory. Its great to know all of those scales and notes...but the most important aspect of music is feel.

Listen to as much music as possible, learn as many song basslines as you can...and dont forget to learn how to play melodies either.

Stick with it through the tough/frustrating times. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

...until you find the next thing! :lol:

But seriously... I've done nearly 10 years of bass playing and I still can't remember which mode has what name sometimes! So don't feel bad :)

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1366052254' post='2047817']
I learnt by playing along with vinyl records , just lifting the needle and playing a bit again and again. I cant read music, but Ive got so much enjoyment out of playing over the years, so dont be hard on yourself and let it happen :D
[/quote]
Ditto! Spot on advice btw.

Thanks for the advice.I think i am trying too hard to take it all in.Perhaps i will have to relax a bit more and take my time.At first it was easy, wih just a few pentotonic and arpeggios to learn.Then you get more and more, but still have to go over the same ground.What took 30 mins a day, is starting to take an hour.I will perservere, and take on the advice you have given me

[size=4][quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1366047671' post='2047716']Join a band. Play some gigs. That will help focus on what's important and what's not.[/quote][quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1366052254' post='2047817']I learnt by playing along with vinyl records, just lifting the needle and playing a bit again and again. I cant read music, but I've got so much enjoyment out of playing over the years, so dont be hard on yourself and let it happen...[/quote][/size]
[size=4]Absolutely. Roman numerals? Pentatonic? WTF is [/size][i]that[/i][size=4] all about?? [/size] :lol:

Edited by discreet

Sounds like you need to learn some easy songs. The trick is learning which songs are easy. Learn the 12 bar blues form, then look for it in popular songs. Good way to build up recognition.

If you know the major scale trying playing melodies. Hymns, national anthems, folk songs often just work up and down the scale.

Always try and work out a song for yourself before looking at the tab. I think I only really understood the minor scale after pieceing together 'Stranded On The Wrong Beach' by Noel Gallagher. The bass ascends a minor scale missing out the 5th on the verses. On the chorus the 5th comes into play. Working out this song gave me a deeper understanding than just knowing shapes and positions.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1366056300' post='2047901']
Thanks for the advice.I think i am trying too hard to take it all in.Perhaps i will have to relax a bit more and take my time.At first it was easy, wih just a few pentotonic and arpeggios to learn.Then you get more and more, but still have to go over the same ground.What took 30 mins a day, is starting to take an hour.I will perservere, and take on the advice you have given me
[/quote]

Learning an instrument is a continuous process which never ends. So just take your time and enjoy the learning process itself.

If you feel yourself getting bogged down, take a break and come back to it.

That Study Bass site I linked earlier is great in that the lessons are structured. This way, each lesson builds on what you learned in the previous ones.

@OP Timmo and Owencf...

Here's my oft-used encouraging note...

It's the first 40 years that are the hardest, after which things get (slightly...) better. :mellow:

We've all trodden this same path, with more or less assiduity. You're on the right track; keep plodding along, and every so often there is an 'Ahhhh..!' moment, which makes it all worth while.
A cheap trick..? yes, I have those, too. Turn the instrument the other way round ('lefty' if you're 'normal', 'righty' if you're not... :happy: ) and see what it feels like. That's where you were only a few weeks ago; that's your current progress. Try it now and again, just as a reminder that you are always improving, even though sometimes it doesn't feel like it. Well done, sirs; keep going and you'll quickly be passing us old fogies by.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1366078556' post='2048139']
You're playing for 4 weeks? COme back when you're playing 4 years. That's when you start to realize it's even harder.
[/quote]
If i can`t play something like Freebird, Lynyrd Skynyrd in 4 years time, i will give up.

Talk to your tutor! :)

The bass is a great instrument because it can be as easy or hard to play as you want it to be. If you're finding the theory too much right now, tell him/her to back off a little on that and concentrate on some fun, easy lines that you can play. And, yes, it will be a stretch for your fingers at first as well. Don't worry - they will loosen up and start behaving over the next few months. Four weeks is very early, as others have said.

Good luck!

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1366083700' post='2048143']
If i can`t play something like Freebird, Lynyrd Skynyrd in 4 years time, i will give up.
[/quote]

The words "give up" should not be considered, or even thought about, so early into the learning journey.

Try to stay positive. You will get there. :)

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1366044897' post='2047673']
I am learning the Bass.I get to points where everything seems impossible.I am trying to learn music, on top of trying to learn how to play, plus the tutor throws in roman numerals into the mix.Sometimes it just seems to much.I can play most of the scales, when it comes to how to play them, but if you asked me to play the Pentotonic Major, you would just get a blank stare, as i can`t remember what any are called.As soon as i see them, i know it.I have only been learning for 4 weeks, so i don`t expect miracles, it just seems too much to take in sometimes
[/quote]

There are plenty of people who've played for 25 years and haven't got that far into music theory ;) That's not to say you should give up, you'll find one day it'll all click.

I would suggest focussing on learning the note names on the first 7 frets of the fingerboard, and I mean really learning them so you don't have to think about it or count frets out from a handful of landmark notes you do know. Trying to remember theory while your mind is occupied finding the note names is like learning to juggle while simultaneously learning to ride the unicycle. You'll need to know the notes when you join a band too so it's the most useful thing you can learn on the bass.

Ear training is useful in a band situation and helps to get you through when your theory fails you. Try playing the melody of a tune in your head on your bass, any tune you like... the theme from The Simpsons, The Sweeney, Baa Baa Black Sheep, whatever you like. Don't spend much time on it, don't worry what key it's in or what the notes names or scales are (Lydian Dominant for the Simpsons :huh: ). Get it so you can play it roughly right and then forget it again, and do the same with another tune tomorrow and so on. The first few tunes you'll spend ages finding the notes but I guarantee within a couple of weeks you'll be picking tunes out fairly easily, your fingers will start to know where to find the notes. This really helps you play what you hear in your head and also work out other people's basslines in records. A lot of bass players work out how a bassline relates to the chords but know nothing about how the melody fits the tune, if you can understand the whole song works then you'll get more ideas for basslines and fills and be a better musician, and not just someone who plays bass.

Good luck!

Edited by Fat Rich