Why become a member? ×

Pino Palladino...once again...how sh*t hot is he?

merello

[quote name='Bikenbass' timestamp='1389051182' post='2329462']
I think you'll find it was all Carol Kaye.
[/quote]

I'm not sure you're talking about the same song. New York Minute by Don Henley from the album Building The Perfect Beast, has Bob Glaub, Larry Klein and Pino credited on bass. I don't have the track listing to hand, but it certainly sounds like Pino's fretless playing to me.

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1389111614' post='2330146']

I'm not sure you're talking about the same song. New York Minute by Don Henley from the album Building The Perfect Beast, has Bob Glaub, Larry Klein and Pino credited on bass. I don't have the track listing to hand, but it certainly sounds like Pino's fretless playing to me.
[/quote]

It's a joke, I think...

Re "Every Time you Go Away":

This is a Hall and Oates song that pre-dates the Paul Young version by some 6 years.[size=4]Therefore Paul Young's version is a cover version, therefore Pino is playing on a cover version:[/size]

I think you'll find that that makes it pretty worthless according to some of the "Real Musicians" here.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1389221737' post='2331682']
Re "Every Time you Go Away":

This is a Hall and Oates song that pre-dates the Paul Young version by some 6 years.Therefore Paul Young's version is a cover version, therefore Pino is playing on a cover version:

I think you'll find that that makes it pretty worthless according to some of the "Real Musicians" here.
[/quote]

I think a lot of Paul Young's songs were covers. However, (and I may be wrong in some cases) I think Pino's basslines were new and completely different to those in the originals. In my book, these basslines are worthy of study/comment/praise etc. But hey, that's just me.

CB

The Carol Kaye thing is a reference to many classic basslines which people had assumed were played by bass player A but were claimed by Carol Kaye. It is kind of internet folklore - if you are geeky enough to have wasted a significant amount of your time on bass forums. I am that time waster.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1389266010' post='2332012']
Ah thanks - now I think I understand. The poster wanted to appear funny by regurgitating said folklore?

CB
[/quote]

Ah, loosen up, man. Just because you didn't find it was funny, doesn't mean other people didn't.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1389263436' post='2331972']
I think a lot of Paul Young's songs were covers. However, (and I may be wrong in some cases) I think Pino's basslines were new and completely different to those in the originals. In my book, these basslines are worthy of study/comment/praise etc. But hey, that's just me.

CB
[/quote]

I know and agree! My dig was not at Pino, but at the people on here (and elsewhere) who seem to think that people who play covers/versions are somehow lesser musicians than those who play originals.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1389281303' post='2332314']
I know and agree! My dig was not at Pino, but at the people on here (and elsewhere) who seem to think that people who play covers/versions are somehow lesser musicians than those who play originals.
[/quote]

Yep. I have full respect for Pino's creativity, regardless of whether the song itself is a cover of an old classic. He never seems to copy the existing line.

For me:
- Composing a bassline to go with our own material = difficult at times to a) make people want to dance B) come up with both hook and mundane rhythms to keep it interesting while c) setting the right mood for the song's story
- Copying some great basslines when playing a cover = even more difficult at times to correctly replicate a certain nuanced technique

My opinion is that you NEED to copy other bassists' work in order to expand your own capabilities. Attempting to cover some songs will require you to develop a tricky technique that your inbuilt 'laziness' gene would avoid using if you were just composing your own bassline.

CB

Pino's playing is frankly just awesome. He has a capability to play complex bass lines and still create a tight groove - something I would not credit John Entwhistle with. I've been trying for 40 years or so to do the same thing with varying degrees of success!

I had three CDs for Christmas amongst other things - No Parlez by Paul Young, Assassin by Gary Numan, and Voodoo by D Angelo. The link is Pino - I'd learnt most of the No Parlez stuff back in the day but never heard the other two. According to the cover notes Assassin was a year before No Parlez and Pino was on it largely because Numan had had some sort of disagreement with Mick Karn - you can conjecture on whether No Parlez would have happened without. Anyway the playing is phenominal, as indeed it is on Voodoo.

It does inspire me, to the extent I took my fretless Ray and played it for part of my gig Friday night - not only did I get nice comments from other band members i got several from audience members - not sure if any Alan Partridge fans were there but I did replicate the air bass line - right after the drum solo!!!

Pino is on the Standing in the Shadows of Motown DVD and IMO plays one of the best replications of Jamerson groove on the whole thing.

So he is a bass god in my eyes - amongst the very best to have walked the planet - and apart from strange tone is a more than fitting player to stand in for Entwhistle - plays a mean solo in My Generation!!! Not sure what other Who fans are looking for and I've had lots if debates with mates who are bass players and have the not worthy view - Entwhistles tone changed around so much. I think Pino approximates it - and from reading interviews learns the lines as closely as possible to the extent of revisiting when he notices the air players playing high up when he's not for instance.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1389523618' post='2334967']
According to the cover notes Assassin was a year before No Parlez and Pino was on it largely because Numan had had some sort of disagreement with Mick Karn - you can conjecture on whether No Parlez would have happened without.
[/quote]
Interesting. I've only just recently listened to Assassin and Pino sounds more like Mick Karn than what I consider classic fretless Pino, the above offers an explanation.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1389523618' post='2334967']
According to the cover notes Assassin was a year before No Parlez and Pino was on it largely because Numan had had some sort of disagreement with Mick Karn - you can conjecture on whether No Parlez would have happened without. Anyway the playing is phenominal, as indeed it is on Voodoo.
[/quote]

Yeah, interesting. Didn't Mick also fall out with Kate Bush and Bill Nelson. Although I dont know the full story but its interesting that artists like Bush/Nelson/Numan would have provided Karn with the required amount of 'elbow room' to exploit his talents. Is Pino an easier going guy at the studio, is he willing to just give artists what they want and not what he wants to give them. Pino is great, he is one guy I would like to meet! He looks like the sort of guy you could 'prop up a bar with' not up his own arse like some. ([s]John Mayer[/s]) :ph34r: :)

Edited by mentalextra