Why become a member? ×

Pino Palladino...once again...how sh*t hot is he?

merello

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1379267921' post='2210629']

- And has anyone noticed the guy who works at Queen St station in Glasgow all the time and is the spit for a young Pino? So even when I'm not playing bass, I can still get reminded how s**t I am.

[/quote]

I hate it when that happens. I pulled into a petrol station behind Bruce Dickinson a few months ago and was reminded that I'm not a wealthy rock singer/world class fencer/airline pilot/author. Just one of those would be enough for most people, surely. He's just showing off.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1379425994' post='2212519']
She's a good player but not convinced by this.. you can see that her fingers aren't ready to deliver the Pino-vibrato at the end of the notes but the original track hides this problem.. Would like to hear it without the original bass so loud in the mix.
[/quote]

Isn't that a bit picky? Besides, you shouldn't play like anyone else, even when doing a cover. Give it your own signature. Girl done good I say. Good nonchalance too.

Just had a very eye opening revelation as to how good Pino is. A few years back I did a session for a private client, a songwriter that had made some cash in property and wanted to hear his songs given the full studio treatment. I knew the producer that was being used and got the call. I did my thing, gave it a good go, came away thinking the guy was polite, happy with the job I'd done and paid up but he wasn't bouncing off the ceiling. Well he can't have been because he got Pino to do it instead, apparently it took him half an hour and everybody loves it! Lesson learnt!

http://vimeo.com/58208348

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1381261206' post='2236724']
Isn't that a bit picky? Besides, you shouldn't play like anyone else, even when doing a cover. Give it your own signature. Girl done good I say. Good nonchalance too.
[/quote]

Again, I've got no idea how she would play it.. the original track is too loud in the mix to judge. She did the same thing with the slap bass on the Jackson tune. There's nothing that I love more than see and hear someone do a good job but in this case the information isn't very clear. More like a glorified playback too me..

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1381270190' post='2236907']
Again, I've got no idea how she would play it.. the original track is too loud in the mix to judge. She did the same thing with the slap bass on the Jackson tune. There's nothing that I love more than see and hear someone do a good job but in this case the information isn't very clear. More like a glorified playback too me..
[/quote]
What is a glorified playback?

CB

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1379283159' post='2210930']

To be fair, and I love Pino as much as anyone, but what he is playing there - although a quote from The Rite of Spring - is more than likely to be a quote of Jaco quoting Stravinsky. I have been listening to all of them for decades and only recently made the conection.

http://tomkenrick.wordpress.com/category/jaco-pastorius/
[/quote]

This.

A while back, when I had nothing better to do, I decided to make a Pino playlist on Spotify. I tried to include as much different stuff he's played on as possible. [url="http://open.spotify.com/user/owen_liam/playlist/4J0KMwu3HUz9u2joumbZ2Z"]Mr Pino Palladino[/url] for the webplayer, or click [url="spotify:user:owen_liam:playlist:4J0KMwu3HUz9u2joumbZ2Z"]Mr Pino Palladino[/url] for the Spotify URl. It's not meant to be exhaustive, just a snapshot of some of his playing over the years; it blows my mind to hear the diversity and variety of stuff he's done. Feel free to add tracks - it's a public list and I'd love to hear some oddities and unexpected tracks!

[CODE]<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:user:owen_liam:playlist:4J0KMwu3HUz9u2joumbZ2Z" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>
[/CODE]

Edited by leroybasslines

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1381434552' post='2239173']
A while back, when I had nothing better to do, I decided to make a Pino playlist on Spotify. I tried to include as much different stuff he's played on as possible. [url="http://open.spotify.com/user/owen_liam/playlist/4J0KMwu3HUz9u2joumbZ2Z"]Mr Pino Palladino[/url] for the webplayer, or click Mr Pino Palladino for the Spotify URl. It's not meant to be exhaustive, just a snapshot of some of his playing over the years; it blows my mind to hear the diversity and variety of stuff he's done. Feel free to add tracks - it's a public list and I'd love to hear some oddities and unexpected tracks!

[CODE]<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:user:owen_liam:playlist:4J0KMwu3HUz9u2joumbZ2Z" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>
[/CODE]
[/quote]

Followed.

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1381435257' post='2239190']
Cool playlisr mate. However...... Boys Of Summer was Larry Klein on bass. Pino played on the next album, most notably on New York Minute.
[/quote]

Cheers for the tip! Like I said, feel free to add and query as you find stuff. I'm not great at research and fact checking (I've no attention span at all) so there's probably loads of mistakes in there. My two fave tracks on there are probably Penitentiary Philosophy and the Pete Townshend one, Give Blood I think it's called. Great performances by Pino on both for utterly different reasons. It's funny how he sounds distinctly 'Pino' on both - that trademark tone and phrasing - when his approach to the tracks is, out of necessity, totally different. The hallmark of a great player, I guess.

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1381434552' post='2239173']
A while back, when I had nothing better to do, I decided to make a Pino playlist on Spotify. I tried to include as much different stuff he's played on as possible. [url="http://open.spotify.com/user/owen_liam/playlist/4J0KMwu3HUz9u2joumbZ2Z"]Mr Pino Palladino[/url] for the webplayer, or click [url="spotify:user:owen_liam:playlist:4J0KMwu3HUz9u2joumbZ2Z"]Mr Pino Palladino[/url] for the Spotify URl. It's not meant to be exhaustive, just a snapshot of some of his playing over the years; it blows my mind to hear the diversity and variety of stuff he's done. Feel free to add tracks - it's a public list and I'd love to hear some oddities and unexpected tracks!

[/CODE]
[/quote]

Thanks for this, you posted it a while back but I could never find the original post again!

Nice one- followed.
I remember listening to Rhian Benson a few years back. Pino played on her Gold Coast album- it's on Spotify.
Jim Mullen's album JimJam album isn't in Spotify but if you can find a copy it's a treat. Ian Thomas and Pino are masters of taste, restraint and control throughout. Very cool.

The web player doesn't work on my pc for some reason and I can't find the playlist on the web page, which isn't nice!

Edit:
OK - I got it working, just had to download and install spotify........ doh.
Listening now and following - thanks for the effort.

Edited by redstriper

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...