Why become a member? ×

Why are you in a covers band?

xilddx

I really enjoy gigging, I can't get enough gigs locally doing original music to satisfy my need for public adulation!! so playing in a covers band solves both needs plus it really keeps me stage ready and up to speed as a bassist and forces me to practice at home of an evening (forces in the case of the covers, inspires in the case of the original songs)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363802784' post='2017942']
Seems miming is viewed as appalling, disgraceful, cheating. Why, since we are entertainers, is miming your own originals seen as dread (you played on the recordings and wrote the song, right?), when playing live cover material is perfectly fine? Why are we caught up in this musical worthiness trip?
[/quote]

If you are miming, you may be entertaining, but you are not entertaining by being a musician - you are doing it by being an actor - pretending to do something you are not actually doing. Your musical skills are largely irrelevant, and it is entirely possible that a non-musician, or someone with only rudimentary musical skills, could do the job better than you. Especially if they have bigger [s]t*ts[/s] stage presence.

For me, the interesting question in the covers v. originals debate is why there is this sharp divide in the world of rock/pop while it seems to be more or less irrelevant in other genres. Go to a jazz or folk gig, for example, and whether it's a top performer or a band in your local pub/club, you are very likely to see them perform a mix of originals and tunes written by others.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1363806112' post='2018011']
For me, the interesting question in the covers v. originals debate is why there is this sharp divide in the world of rock/pop while it seems to be more or less irrelevant in other genres. Go to a jazz or folk gig, for example, and whether it's a top performer or a band in your local pub/club, you are very likely to see them perform a mix of originals and tunes written by others.
[/quote]
Much of the history of musical performance, popular and otherwise, over many centuries would be the playing of already well-known songs.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1363778830' post='2017359']
I like the idea of playing a distillation of the past 50 years' worth of music, to try and select the best of the best and play them to people who know and appreciate it.

Originals stuff is, for me, too hit and miss - most of what I have heard I don't like. There aren't too many gifted song writers out there.
[/quote]

Agreed. In fact many "big name" bands with song writers in the top .01% of the ability range struggle to consistently produce good quality material - even amongst such major bands there are scant few that have enough material to make a 90 minute set that wont bore people (and those select few tend to be the ones that spawn tribute acts ...).

The odds that a random bunch of amateur dabblers who just happen to be in the same town can produce even one song anywhere close to this level ... ?

Having said that I think that the notable-local-song-writer-plus-hand-picked-band model can work but throwing together a bunch of people with no particular talent for writing rarely will.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1363806112' post='2018011']
If you are miming, you may be entertaining, but you are not entertaining by being a musician - you are doing it by being an actor - pretending to do something you are not actually doing. Your musical skills are largely irrelevant, and it is entirely possible that a non-musician, or someone with only rudimentary musical skills, could do the job better than you. Especially if they have bigger [s]t*ts[/s] stage presence.

[/quote]
Which of course raises the question 'what's wrong with being an actor?'. One acts in one's music videos, so what is the problem with 'acting' music on stage?

The second of your paragraphs is interesting, I think it's because rock and pop music in general terms is disposable singalong music for a lot of people. It's undervalued, not ART, because it's often viewed as needing little skill and is not ART, even by some buggers on here :) Jazz, classical .. schooling, skill, culturally important, heritage, there to be taken and interpreted, preserved, treasured etc.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363777903' post='2017335']
Another thing I find hard to understand is covers bands who chuck in a few originals into the set. What does that achieve?
[/quote]
Nige, we never 'chuck a few originals into the set' (but neither would I think of us as a 'covers band' or, even less so, as an 'originals band') but some of our songs were written by band members while other songs were written by other people, sometimes rather obscure other people. When we perform songs written by others they are rearranged and may have quite different instrumentation from other performances of those songs. Whatever we play, we sound like us playing it. Audiences usually like us and thay don't discriminate songs by songwriters.

Which part is hard to understand?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363777903' post='2017335']
Another thing I find hard to understand is covers bands who chuck in a few originals into the set. What does that achieve?
[/quote]

Just to focus on this comment...

It's simple, really.

One of my bands, which is less established than the others, has a personality split between covers and originals. The covers get us the gigs, and the originals are so good (IMO) they fit right in amongst pretty distinguished company. Punters now know the tunes, and shout out for them.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1363809171' post='2018060']
Just to focus on this comment...

It's simple, really.

One of my bands, which is less established than the others, has a personality split between covers and originals. The covers get us the gigs, and the originals are so good (IMO) they fit right in amongst pretty distinguished company. Punters now know the tunes, and shout out for them.
[/quote]
Sounds like you should work towards being originals then mate.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1363808565' post='2018048']
Nige, we never 'chuck a few originals into the set' (but neither would I think of us as a 'covers band' or, even less so, as an 'originals band') but some of our songs were written by band members while other songs were written by other people, sometimes rather obscure other people. When we perform songs written by others they are rearranged and may have quite different instrumentation from other performances of those songs. Whatever we play, we sound like us playing it. Audiences usually like us and thay don't discriminate songs by songwriters.

Which part is hard to understand?
[/quote]

Basically because it seems like a confused band, but what do I know? That's why I asked :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363809269' post='2018062']
Sounds like you should work towards being originals then mate.
[/quote]

We do. We have a full set of originals, and we do original-only gigs.

But the songs are so good, we play some in the covers set too, and the punters appreciate it. This, in turn, it drums up interest in the original gigs. Like I say, simple.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1363809374' post='2018066']
Why?
[/quote]

More money potential, probably more personal fulfilment potential (but I'm wondering about that now after this thread :)) and honing compositional skills. It would be a very marvellous experiment.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1363809438' post='2018068']
We do. We have a full set of originals, and we do original-only gigs.

But the songs are so good, we play some in the covers set too, and the punters appreciate it. This, in turn, it drums up interest in the original gigs. Like I say, simple.
[/quote]

Why didn't you say that then? :D

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1363778081' post='2017337']
Why a covers band?

I like the music!
[/quote]

This. Plus the fact that there is enough good music out there which I love and is fun to play. If you do your own material, best of luck to you and I wish you success but it ain`t my bag.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1363802677' post='2017941']
You've just been in the wrong covers bands... ;)
[/quote]

You could equally say to all those complaining that they couldn't get an audience or gigs for their originals band, that they were in the wrong originals band.

Although I guess that's a bit harder to acknowledge when you have some of your own creativity tied up in the songs...

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1363807045' post='2018028']
Agreed. In fact many "big name" bands with song writers in the top .01% of the ability range struggle to consistently produce good quality material - even amongst such major bands there are scant few that have enough material to make a 90 minute set that wont bore people (and those select few tend to be the ones that spawn tribute acts ...).

The odds that a random bunch of amateur dabblers who just happen to be in the same town can produce even one song anywhere close to this level ... ?

Having said that I think that the notable-local-song-writer-plus-hand-picked-band model can work but throwing together a bunch of people with no particular talent for writing rarely will.
[/quote]

There does seem to be a prevailing opinion, that just because you are unlikely to write anything or "real merit" you shouldn't even bother trying.

I would say everyone has to start somewhere with the songwriting. The only way you are going to improve is to write some songs and them write some more. Every time you learn something about the process, and unless you are completely talent-free, as you write more songs you become better at it. Even great song writers have written their share of rubbish In fact most of them don't come up with album after album of outstanding material, they write a couple of good songs every year and a load of stuff that gets by through association with the good songs. Once in a while they write something really great.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363809500' post='2018070']
More money potential, probably more personal fulfilment potential (but I'm wondering about that now after this thread :)) and honing compositional skills. It would be a very marvellous experiment.
[/quote]
But I don't do it for money, I am not unfulfilled, my composing is mostly the composition of basslines (whoever wrote the song), it already is an experiment.

The thing is that I don't really get the importance or even the reality of this distinction between so-called 'covers' and so-called 'originals'.

I spent years gigging in original bands all around Europe. My drummer has played all over the world. We both have the same stories of great gigs great time and no money. I always played in cover bands at the same time to pay the bills.

One thing I learned is you can't eat credibility

Edited by swanbrook