Why become a member? ×

How do different woods contribute to 'tone' in electric instruments?

ingmar808

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1363689954' post='2015776']
Everything on a bass, apart from the strap locks, affects the tone, including the construction and materials.
[/quote]

Whenever these discussions come up we hear all about different materials used for bodies, necks, nuts, pickups, wiring, etc., etc., BUT we never hear about different materials being used for frets.

Surely, as the humble fret is one of the crucial points of contact where the energy of the vibrating string is being directly transferred to the body of the instrument, there should be more scientific analysis in the field of frets.

I say we should be given a choice! When will manufacturers realise this and start producing brass, bone, carbon fibre, aluminium, solid gold, and composite resin frets? Eh? Eh?

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1363698028' post='2015978']
I say we should be given a choice! When will manufacturers realise this and start producing brass, bone, carbon fibre, aluminium, solid gold, and composite resin frets? Eh? Eh?
[/quote]

They already do. What about Warwick's bell brass, and how about [url=http://www.crystalfrets.com]these[/url]!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363699398' post='2016011']
They already do. What about Warwick's bell brass, and how about [url="http://www.crystalfrets.com"]these[/url]!
[/quote]
Ooh.. I like the sound of those!
For an 850 USD price tag I think they need better, larger pics, though. To my eyes they look like.. errr, frets! :blink:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363699398' post='2016011']
They already do. What about Warwick's bell brass, and how about [url="http://www.crystalfrets.com"]these[/url]!
[/quote]

You can buy them

[url="http://www.banzaimusic.com/Warwick-Bronze-Frets.html"]http://www.banzaimusic.com/Warwick-Bronze-Frets.html[/url]

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1363692421' post='2015844']
As far as I'm concerned, the different woods thing is so insignificant in real world applications that I really don't give a monkey's about it. Until one can measure it in a repeatable experiment then it's a waste of time to even debate it. There are no hard facts in this, you can't even say that two pieces of wood from the same tree, never mind the same species or locality will be even similar, never mind identical.
[/quote]

+1.

I spent about five years studying brass instrument acoustics, and a lot of brass musicians and instrument makers will swear blind that a trumpet made from brass sounds different to one made from white gold. However, even in scientifically controlled double blind tests the results are inconclusive, at best. Talented instrument makers are truly gifted individuals, but that doesn't mean you have to believe everything they tell you as gospel.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1363706811' post='2016246']
I've heard folk say they can hear the quality of the wood.
So on that, do plexiglass basses sound plasticy?
[/quote]

No. They have a lovely clear, transparent tone. Quite glassy in the high end response according to some...

Edited by Conan

wasn't there an experiment done on talkbass a few years ago where someone posted up 3 sound clips, one of a US Fender Jazz, one of a bitsa/copy jazz and one of a plank of diy-type wood with pickups and strings attached and got people to vote for which they thought was which?

I seem to remember that very few people were able to tell the US jazz from the plank of wood, and there were even some who made up an entire arguement as to why they were definitely sure their choice was the US jazz, only to find out they picked the plank.

IMO, it may well make some difference, but it is definitely not a very important factor.

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1363709436' post='2016329']
wasn't there an experiment done on talkbass a few years ago where someone posted up 3 sound clips, one of a US Fender Jazz, one of a bitsa/copy jazz and one of a plank of diy-type wood with pickups and strings attached and got people to vote for which they thought was which?

I seem to remember that very few people were able to tell the US jazz from the plank of wood, and there were even some who made up an entire arguement as to why they were definitely sure their choice was the US jazz, only to find out they picked the plank.
[/quote]

Yup! Here's the J with alder body that was used:

and here's the construction site plank:

I don't remember if a third bass was used, or whether he's just stated three basses were involved, but only two were recorded.

BTW, and often underrated, people only chose the plank as the US J because of the similar wiring and identical QC. :lol: :ph34r: :yarr:

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='ingmar808' timestamp='1363656189' post='2015491']
Hi all. First post...
[/quote]

And a [i]good[/i] one too. No matter what people may say, this question's always good for a few pages.

For myself, I believe that different woods [i]must[/i] make a difference, because if they didn't, bass guitars would all be made from the same type of wood. Makes sense.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1363719462' post='2016551']

And a [i]good[/i] one too. No matter what people may say, this question's always good for a few pages.

For myself, I believe that different woods [i]must[/i] make a difference, because if they didn't, bass guitars would all be made from the same type of wood. Makes sense.
[/quote]

Or maybe the most easily obtainable wood. How do you think Leo chose? I see two scenarios...
1: He made twenty odd prototypes in different woods, all known for their tonal properties, then chose alder, based on the subtle nuances that that material provided.
2: He phoned Chad, his brother-in-law's cousin who owned a timber yard. Chad tells him that Alder is plentiful and cheap and he'll do him a deal. Leo tries it, sounds fine, so uses alder for years, till Chad does a better deal on ash.

According to Black and Molinaro's [i]The Fender Bass[/i], '...Fender added a sunburst finish to the Precision in late 1954, while the bodies were still ash. Fender did not use alder for sunburst until 1956. According to George Fullerton, this decision was motivated by cost and ease of finishing rather than any effect the change had on tone, which Fender did not consider to be a factor...'

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363723583' post='2016645']
According to Black and Molinaro's [i]The Fender Bass[/i], '...Fender added a sunburst finish to the Precision in late 1954, while the bodies were still ash. Fender did not use alder for sunburst until 1956. According to George Fullerton, this decision was motivated by cost and ease of finishing rather than any effect the change had on tone, which Fender did not consider to be a factor...'
[/quote]

Interesting. And I thought my theory was flawless :-(