Why become a member? ×

To be Wireless or not to be Wireless...

L_Bass_Dog85

I've been using a Samson Airline 77 for a few months now, a Sennheiser Freeport prior to that. Certainly in my experience, I've never had any issues with reliability, nor loss of tone.

In terms of using them with pedals, you shouldn't have any problems. My wireless transmitter lives in my rack, but feeds to my pedalboard and then through that back out to my amp without any issues at all. So essentially, the wireless receiver acts as the start of my signal chain, then my instrument cable feeds from the transmitter to the board like a really long patch lead.

The Samson receiver has some nifty features on it, like a -15dB pad if I switch from a passive to an active bass during the set. There's lots of different systems about, the Line6 digital ones get a lot of praise, as well as the Stageclix gear.

Edited by TomWIC

I use a Stageclix one. Pricey, but to me it's worth it! It's digital, so no need to worry about licensed frequencies. If I use it at home it makes the internet go on and off but that's it. No interference in the bass signal! There are 12 channels to choose from, just in case anyone else nearby is using wireless too. It also runs in 2 channels simultaneously at all times... So if for some reason one channel stops working, the other one will still be running. It's dead easy to charge too, as you just plug it into the receiver. No need to remember batteries all the time :)

The Line 6 ones are still excellent if you'd prefer not to pay £400 for your wireless kit. The major differences being that it only runs 1 channel at a time, you need your own batteries, and it's not quite as indestructible.

I used to use one, as the people in the band I was in were so clumsy, amp-stacks would regularly tople when they got caught up in the guitar leads. So we all went wireless and this soon stopped.

Performance-wise, I never noticed any problems with my sound using this, and the range was very good - even at large venues going through FOH I could walk right out front to listen to sound-checks and no problems.

I've been wireless for approx 20 years (Nady, Samson Airline and currently Line6 G30) and only had a couple of interference issues with the Nady system back on the 90's. IME I have noticed a definite improvement in sound quality since using the digital Line6 system. I wasn't at all unhappy with the other systems - more a case of not experiencing the improvement that digital made to my tone due to not compressing the signal.

I would highly recommend going wireless, and especially the digital systems.

Not had any problems. I have three wireless networks running at every gig I play plus never had any problems when combining them with the wifi networks present at the hotels I play at all over the country. OK they occupy the same band so theoretically could be a problem... but my Sony unit has not failed me once. For instances like that Id resort to a cable. We run an analogue wireless iem on the open band and that is prone to rf interference. I use the licensed band for my iems and never had any issues on that.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363711669' post='2016395']
Don't the digital systems have problems with interference with computer WiFi?
[/quote]

Yeah, whenever I use my Stageclix at home my internet cuts in and out. Doesn't affect the bass signal though ;)

I had a Samson Airline Bass for a few years until someone stood on the transmitter and broke it. I never had any problems with it although, to my ears, it seemed to add a bit of top end to the sound.

Now I'm using a Line 6 G30 and it sounds great! The jack cable to connect the transmitter to the bass didn't look brilliant quality so I made a replacement for it. Other than that I don't have any problems at all.

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1363775924' post='2017279']
I never had any problems with it although, to my ears, it seemed to add a bit of top end to the sound.
[/quote]

That's because there isn't the capacitance of a long cable rolling the top end off your sound. Some systems, for example, (and I'm sure it's on your line 6 system, or it could be the G50) have a cable tone function to emulate that roll off.

Got a Line 6 G30 and never looked back. Receiver sits as the first link on my pedal board chain. Easy to see the battery life left in the transmitter. Brilliant on small stages where you don't need some hoof-footed guitarist treading all over your leads.

The Line 6 units have a standard 1/4" jack socket on the transmitter, so you can change/upgrade your fly lead into the bass - I changed the original straight one for a right-angled one.

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1363787445' post='2017585']
Got a Line 6 G30 and never looked back. Receiver sits as the first link on my pedal board chain. Easy to see the battery life left in the transmitter. Brilliant on small stages where you don't need some hoof-footed guitarist treading all over your leads.

[b]The Line 6 units have a standard 1/4" jack socket on the transmitter, so you can change/upgrade your fly lead into the bass[/b] - I changed the original straight one for a right-angled one.
[/quote]

This is only on the G30. The G50, G90 and the recently released G55 model all have T4AF (i think, Mini XLR's) connectors on the transmitter.

Liam

I use the Sennheisser Freeport rack mount system. Lives in a 2U rack with my Korg tuner and a power rack. Sits between my Orange Terror amp and SP212 cab. Works a treat and have had it for 5 or more years. Has 4 frequencies. Never a moments problem. Have only had to replace th lead once. Never experienced any feedback/buzzes etc and love having no spaghetti around my feet.