Why become a member? ×

Fretless - opinions please!

mr zed

I'm maybe a bit late to the party, but for my little stab at fretless (which I quite enjoy, but haven't been brave enough to embarrass myself in front of either band yet) I got a fretless (second hand, cheap, a bit ratty) version of something I already had and was familiar with - a Yamaha BB. I just figured that if all the rest of the ergonomics were the same then the only weird thing to get used to would be the fretlessness ;)

If you're comfortable with Fender-style basses you should try the Squier VMJ Fretless, and the Vintage V7MR.

As for strings, it's a combination of what sounds you are after and what suits the bass. There is no right answer, just the one that you like the best.

I've heard of people using 1200 grit sandpaper to work superglue into the fingerboard grain on fretlesses when playing with roundwounds, I'm not brave enough to do it to mine. Anyone ever heard of this or is it a dream I had?

I'd get a Squier VMJ without hesitation. I was lucky enough to be given a Fender USA Fretless Jazz Bass Deluxe otherwise I would have bought a VMJ. I found the lined board helpful when making the transition, just to check in now and again. But do you know what, they are much easier to play than you would think, the muscle memory is all the same, and if you get something like what your used to the changeover is simple.

I picked up my FL again the other day actually, I think I'm gonna gig it at the weekend :)

For strings, I prefer the roundwound sound, but I was told I was eating into the fretboard with them (and too nice a bass to mess up) so I was recommended half-flats (I think they are LaBella). Anyway, they sound like rounds, but play like flats. Bingo!

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1363281758' post='2011024']
I've heard of people using 1200 grit sandpaper to work superglue into the fingerboard grain on fretlesses when playing with roundwounds, I'm not brave enough to do it to mine. Anyone ever heard of this or is it a dream I had?
[/quote]
Not sure I've heard about that, but many have coated the board with marine epoxy - which is what Jaco did. It sets hard and even, but I wouldn't attempt it myself!

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1363281758' post='2011024']
[/quote]

I used a cloth, literally squirted some glue on and wipe it down the board as fast as I possibly could and even then I came close to sticking the cloth to the bass several times. There's no time for any kind of working in or you're stuck!

Definitely don't butcher your existing basses!!!

I'd get a fretless squire jazz, cheap but decent instrument, easy to move on if don't get on with it. Or there was a nice looking Godin fretless going for a good price in the for sales section last time I looked.

Getting a replacement neck also works, but you're probably talking a good £200-250 so doesn't work out much cheaper than a second hand bass. If your jazz and stingray are both getting played, I'd keep them as they are and get a dedicated fretless. I was the one who bought Breedin's stingray neck and used it to convert my fretted. It worked out great, but I did it for sentimental reasons as I have 3 other fretted basses and my stringray, which I've had since I was a teenager wasn't getting played.

I had some regular roundwound slinky's on at first, but have la bella flats on now. Was after a thumpy upright sound (as much as can be achieved with a 'ray, anyway) with a bit of mwah and they did the job in that respect.

I kinda dont get on with Jazz necks so the VMJ was never an option. Was fortunate enough to be solvent enough to get a 'Ray fretless lined 3EQ, then swapped for an unlined 2EQ which came up only 30 minutes away on SC. Love, love, love it. 2EQ Ray just seems to work with fretless. You could go down the SUB route (£300ish) and defret I suppose. Would definitely recommend the lined then unlined route although you'd be surprised how much your muscles, ears and hands know anyways if you've been playing for a while, I was over 20 years on fretted before dipping my toe in the fretless waters. Now probably play more fretless TBH.

+1 for the getting a cheap one to start with. I just sold a Yamaha RBX to a friend for £85 having just picked up a very nice Letts 6 string and while it had issues, it was a very helpful tool in learning the basics of fretless playing. Then use the spare cash chop and change bits and strings until you find what works for you or invest in a better bass later on.

Some great advice again folks and this really has given me a lot to think about. Thanks for all your responses. I've got a few potential basses in mind that I think would suit my needs ranging from the budget range i.e. Squire, through the medium priced MIJ/CIJ and on to the more expensive Stingray or Tony Franklin Precision. I figure that if I can buy secondhand for a reasonable price, it doesn't really matter whether I go for the budget end or the more expensive, I'll never lose too much on a re-sale if this doesn't work out. Think I prefer the look of unlined but may be sensible to go for the safety net of a lined board. This is a nice problem to have and I'm enjoying the hunt for the right bass. Cheers all. I'll keep you informed as to where I end up with this - with photos of course (or else it didn't happen).