Why become a member? ×

R.I.P Kenny Ball

flyfisher

Whilst not my bag, my folks used to have a lot of his stuff in their record collection so I've heard quite a bit of Kenny's work over the years.

With him and Alvin Lee going over the past day or so, I'd concur with everyone else that it seems like a bad year.

RIP Kenny.

I remember [i]The Green Leaves of Summer [/i] being played a lot on the Dansette when I was a nipper. I am also reminded of an edition of [i]I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue [/i]in which Humph was explaining the rules of a "spot the connection" round - "For example, if I said Alan [b]Ball[/b], Kenny [b]Ball[/b] and Johnny [b]Ball[/b], the obvious connection is that none of them has ever fully mastered the trumpet". RIP to them both.

I played with him twice. Not only a very good musician but he had a very good recall of past gigs and people he had known, some of them fifty years ago. He struck me as someone who had a genuine interest in other people. A nice guy.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1362690828' post='2003535']
I played with him twice. Not only a very good musician but he had a very good recall of past gigs and people he had known, some of them fifty years ago. He struck me as someone who had a genuine interest in other people. A nice guy.
[/quote]

That's good to hear.
And I've just remembered I saw him play! It was at Sunbury on Thames regatta in the early seventies when I was a kid. :-)