Why become a member? ×

Cheap 9v batteries (for those active basses)

thumbo

This has probably been mentioned on here before numerous times, but I always begrudge the price of batteries in supermarkets so if I remember to I try to stock up - I've just bought a pack of 9v batteries this morning and I'd forgotten how cheap they can be online: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Duracell-9V-Procell-Batteries-MN1604-6LR61-PP3-block-/160507757092?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item255f020224
There's nothing more annoying than hearing your bass fart out it's dying note at a rehearsal, or even worse, on stage.

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1362229341' post='1997244']
2 for a pound at poundland. kodak ones
[/quote]
The two for £1 packs are zinc, which don't have the same life or current levels as alkaline. They're also more prone to leaking. The comparable alkaline ones Poundland do work out more expensive than the ones in the link. Though of course if you don't have a use for 10 batteries or need them today pound shops are your friend. :)

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1362229341' post='1997244']
2 for a pound at poundland. kodak ones
[/quote]

Sony ones for me, or maybe panasonic. Still from the pound shop, which charges 95p for two where I go, cos theres a 99p shop next door to it - yeah, as cuthroat as that !

I dont trust Kodak for stuff thats not photographic any more than I'd buy a guitar from Ever Ready.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

I use rechargeable PP3 (9 v...) accus for my Danelectro 'Hodad' pocket amp. They last several weeks (depending, of course, on my use of the amp...); I have two, one on recharge, the other in the amp. No problems whatever. The next step will be to use a solar charger, and become autonomous. Whoopee..! It's been a few years since I bought a PP3..!

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1362253597' post='1997680']

The two for £1 packs are zinc, which don't have the same life or current levels as alkaline. They're also more prone to leaking. The comparable alkaline ones Poundland do work out more expensive than the ones in the link. Though of course if you don't have a use for 10 batteries or need them today pound shops are your friend. :)
[/quote]
Wow. I didn't realise the difference. I have them in all my basses

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' timestamp='1362253807' post='1997687']
I'm a member of Costco so I always get a 10 pack of Duracell there. Bargain compared to supermarket prices.
[/quote]

Yeah, Costco is a good place to buy Duracells.

For active basses? Where the battery lasts months? Do yourself a favour and buy good batteries, not cheap questionable quality batteries.

I bought 2 packs of 20 for £3 each from a cheapo shop in town. They are zinc. Non have leaked and I get 3 months out of each one.

With 2 basses needn't worry for at least another 4 years or so

Never seen them since..

Sometime then cheap purchases are the ones that makes you smile.

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1362303660' post='1998048']
I bought 2 packs of 20 for £3 each from a cheapo shop in town. They are zinc. Non have leaked and I get 3 months out of each one.

With 2 basses needn't worry for at least another 4 years or so

Never seen them since..

Sometime then cheap purchases are the ones that makes you smile.
[/quote]

Zinc Carbon batteries have a limited shelf life, after which they tend to go manky and even leaky. They should be OK otherwise. I cant see any reason why you would need high current rechargeables, or even alkaline batteries. How much current does an active Bass draw ??

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1362228694' post='1997234']
Yup, Procell 10 packs all the way for me. Not just for the active basses - tuner pedal needs them too ;)
[/quote]
Yep, that's what I do too.

Batteries should last ages. But paranoia can lead some to change them after every gig :)

Course, if you have a vintage bass and want to keep it period, theres always these.

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/DANELECTRO-VINTAGE-POWER-SOURCE-PP3-Zinc-Pedal-Battery-/150956494074?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2325b54cfa"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/DANELECTRO-VINTAGE-POWER-SOURCE-PP3-Zinc-Pedal-Battery-/150956494074?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2325b54cfa[/url]

or this, a snip at £35

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SEALED-Flying-Bomb-Battery-9V-9-Volt-/160980844526?nma=true&si=MltZaCBGoMPaEfM2ai3wUeqrIzs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SEALED-Flying-Bomb-Battery-9V-9-Volt-/160980844526?nma=true&si=MltZaCBGoMPaEfM2ai3wUeqrIzs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557[/url]

I buy Energizers for my bass. I bought a load of Energizer Ultra + AA batteries for my G30 wireless and they don't fit. They're too long.

Not obvious when I've got them side by side with my old batch of energizers but the battery door doesn't shut properly. Off Ebay as well but the seller hasn't got back to me so far

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' timestamp='1362253807' post='1997687']
I'm a member of Costco so I always get a 10 pack of Duracell there. Bargain compared to supermarket prices.
[/quote]

This^

But then I go and spend what I've saved on their amazing cookies or cakes.

• Like 1

Further to my last post, these are the ones that I use. Excellent

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ULTRACELL-9V-PP3-Ni-MH-400mah-RECHARGEABLE-BATTERY-5-99-P-P-FREE-/181076469221?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item2a28ffa5e5"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ULTRACELL-9V-PP3-Ni-MH-400mah-RECHARGEABLE-BATTERY-5-99-P-P-FREE-/181076469221?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item2a28ffa5e5[/url]

Cant do better than that

i bought a box of those daneletro batteries about 6 years ago :) didnt last long :) (i think i kept one as it looks cool)
they sounded great in my phaser (behringer big muff case clone).

i tend to get EverReady or duracells for my actives, especially my B2 which uses 3 of them (18v + LEDs).

i had a rechargable back in the 90s and it exploded in my bass, no word of a lie the plastic case covering the cells exploded, little bits of shattered plasti and what looked like watch batteries in my cavity (ooh er mrs) luckily it was a cheap n nasty bass.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1362266388' post='1997867']
Yeah, Costco is a good place to buy Duracells.

For active basses? Where the battery lasts months? Do yourself a favour and buy good batteries, not cheap questionable quality batteries.
[/quote]
Exactly. Why spend hundreds if not thousands of pounds on a bass, put good quality strings on it, put it through top notch amplification, and then scrimp a couple of quid on batteries.

Like sticking remoulds on a Ferrari.

Edited by Thunderthumbs

Old type zink chloride PP3 batteries wouldnt supply much current, but high capacity re chargeables, even alkaline batteries will.

Short out an old PP3 and not much happens, short out a 400 mA rechargable and at best theres smoke. So if you use them in equipment thats not protected, and get a short in the wiring or fault on the PCB, the results could be narsty.

Just a thought.

Edited by BILL POSTERS