Why become a member? ×

Boys : if your partner / wife has a one in, one out rule on basses...

topo morto

[quote name='topo morto' timestamp='1361819368' post='1991466']
...why do you put up with that kind of thing?
Do you give her a one in, one out rule on handbags or pairs of shoes?
Or do you secretly like having an excuse to keep the collection manageable?
[/quote]

The rule I was given was: "ok, THAT one there is your room for your music toys, as long as they fit in there without leaving them all over the house as you used to, and as long as you leave money for holidays... I don't care how many basses you buy".

I should have negotiated for a bigger room :lol:

My girlfriend doesn't mind my gear buying and wanting, so long as I keep using them for work and can prove that the bass will be worth a lot of money, still working on my time machine guys and girls, I'll soon have it perfected and will soon have my pension sorted out in the form of future collectible basses, I might let you guys know, for a large fee of course ;) But I digress, my girlfriend has her hobbies/job that takes up a lot of room so we've both agreed when we get our own place we will be having a large house with rooms for the music studio and fabric studio :)

i have a one in one out policy for gear for the simple reason of space. we're lucky to have some disposable income at the end of the month and the general rule is that if we can find space for a new toy and don't require a loan or finance to buy it then it's allowed. when my new letts 5 string arrives then the Yamaha 5er will be sold, and i'm going to sell off the p and j bitsa's because i simply don't use them. the barefaced midgets will displace my old ashdown cab and then all will be peaceful untill i get a eub (which i think i can store under the spare bed when i'm not using it/practicing)

Matt

I have loads of basses- and amps- and effects- seem to build up over time- I have explained to my lovely wife that, as I have to declare my band earnings that they all are a tax deductable business expense, therefore spending more on them means I will pay less in tax.

Our last tax bill shocked my mrs to the core so she likes this idea.

Still a bit surprised that she doesnt moan about the three rediculously expensive motorbikes in the garage- or our three cars- ect ect

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1361822256' post='1991559']
Never had an problems from my wife with regard to gear, I've even pondered things and she has said "just get it if you want it"
Having said that she knows I work hard, and am tight and wont throw money away on things I don't need or couldn't recover if needed
[/quote]
Yep, mine says "you work hard, why shouldnt you?"
She knows I start selling things if I think its getting out of hand or if something isnt working for me.
I dont buy new, ever, I dont have expensive tastes and I usually manage to find something I want on Ebay or here for reasonable money such that I can sell it for roughly the same as I paid. She likes Swarovski, and buys a lot on ebay rather than new, so she applies the same logic to herself (except that you collect that stuff). She doesnt spend loads on herself like clothes, makeup, hair etc, so I have no issue with it. Mutual tolerance.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361819570' post='1991470']
Depends on how much the partners respect each other. I've heard of blokes on here being quite smug about 'sneaking' in new kit. Hardly a trusting relationship is it.
[/quote]

It's got to the point Nige I either resort to that, or end up spending the dosh on non essential house stuff, how about 3 new sofa suites in 5 years !!!!

I have bass smuggling down to a fine art, and I'm not being smug, just practical.

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1362084832' post='1995655']
I always struggle when I hear grown men/women say phrases like "I'm allowed....."
You don't/shouldn't need permission as long as you have the common sense not to get into financial trouble as a result....
[/quote]

Who are we to judge how couples act?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1362086361' post='1995688']

Who are we to judge how couples act?
[/quote]

Very understanding of you milty.
But us sad single bastards have to have a few advantages to cling on to, and being able to fill our living spaces with whatever shizz we want is one of them! :D

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1362090915' post='1995804']
But us sad single bastards have to have a few advantages to cling on to, and being able to fill our living spaces with whatever shizz we want is one of them! :D
[/quote]

TBH I think it's totally wrong that we're told getting shacked up with someone is the thing to do. Being single should be the default... unless you meet someone who really fits...

[/quote]

Lol, did you just presume that i was single?

You're right, but even still. WOW! lol.

[quote name='topo morto' timestamp='1362091379' post='1995811']
TBH I think it's totally wrong that we're told getting shacked up with someone is the thing to do. Being single should be the default... unless you meet someone who really fits...
[/quote]

I thought it was the default?

I can't understand why anybody would feel the need to date every girl/boy they saw. It's fairly pointless.

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1362084832' post='1995655']
I always struggle when I hear grown men/women say phrases like "I'm allowed....."
[/quote]

Yeah, I can see that, and must say I struggle too when hearing mates talk like that (I've noticed most of me mates talk just like that). However, isn't this usually a condensed way of expressing oneself without going into details about the relationship?
I don't know, but I kinda hope it is.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

But us sad single bastards have to have a few advantages to cling on to, and being able to fill our living spaces with whatever shizz we want is one of them! :D[/quote]

After quite a lot of subtle hinting from my other half I converted one of our rooms into an office; then managed to nick half of it back for my Mac, scanner etc.
Once I added my Marshall 2 x 15 into it she's retaliated by using it as another (though mobile) shelf.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1362091457' post='1995815']

Lol, did you just presume that i was single?

You're right, but even still. WOW! lol.
[/quote]

No I was just using the word 'us' to embrace all the singles here in general.

But I do believe you to be single 'cos you have shared many details of your life with us! (by single I mean not living with a partner. I'm not assuming you live the life of a monk!) :D

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1362092158' post='1995837']
No I was just using the word 'us' to embrace all the singles here in general.

But I do believe you to be single 'cos you have shared many details of your life with us! (by single I mean not living with a partner. I'm not assuming you live the life of a monk!) :D
[/quote]

It's hard not to live the life of a monk when you can't walk very far! :D :P :)

EDIT- lack of smilies.

Edited by MiltyG565

At the risk of re-railing this thread:

For the last 20 years, my gear acquisitions have been funded by gig money, occasional birthday/Christmas gifts, and an inheritance. Thus they don't impact on the household finances. Mrs Axe has occasionally commented on the resulting large number of instruments in my box room of a man cave, but I need only remind her of her bag-buying habits to be reminded in return of the frighteningly huge CD collection occupying a large part of our living room wall.

Conclusion: dunno really, but if it's a choice between venting GAS and feeding the kids - well it won't hurt them to miss a couple of meals...