Why become a member? ×

Boys : if your partner / wife has a one in, one out rule on basses...

topo morto

It's an interesting thread. My girlfriend is always suggesting I buy [b]more[/b] basses but I've done the whole 30 instruments at once thing so haven't bought anything in over 2yrs and sold about 75% of it off since my divorce (by choice!). Just from personal experience (& not judging anyone on any posts here) if you have to lie to your partner or buy a bunch of stuff you rarely play, something *may* be wrong with the relationship. I agree with SpaceChick, this isn't a problem exclusive to one gender.

Now if only I could get over [b]my[/b] addiction to shoes....

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1361828139' post='1991707']
Good call! First thing I did when my ex moved out 3 months ago was buy a bass.. Got another one last week as well! :ph34r:
[/quote]

This is similar to the "Eating your emotions" thing. Except you are trying to fill that hole in your heart with timber and steel. Good on you! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1361825310' post='1991653']
Very Zen of you, Bert, I must say and - kayak??
[/quote]

Yeah. Zen say: "Day have 24 hours, not 30".
Kayak as in sea kayaks - in my mind the coolest hobby that is not music, and also my occupation.

But, back on topic:
I understand where the OP question comes from, and have certainly received hard times for gear purchases myself.
In an ideal world, I wouldn't wanna be in a relationship where grown ups behave egoistically or with lies, but in the real world many relationships are just less than ideal, and one stays together for numbers of reasons, one of them being that one simply loves one's partner, and can live with some peculiarities. I wouldn't judge less-than-ideal relationships too harshly. That said, smuggling in basses does seem to me to push the boundaries. I've never ever smuggled in an EMS Synthi 100, a Moog System 55 or a Synclavier II.
Honest!

A guy in our community was busted by his wife while he was counting the 6,000 quids he had hidden in an old record player in the basement. She immediately ordered a new kitchen for the money plus plus. LOL.

best,
bert

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1361828258' post='1991709']
Wife or bass?
[/quote]

I made the right decision this time... BASS!

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1361828286' post='1991710']
You got another ex already? :lol:
[/quote]

No, but I should probably meet a new lady and break her poor little heart just to even things out!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1361828319' post='1991713']
This is similar to the "Eating your emotions" thing. Except you are trying to fill that hole in your heart with timber and steel. Good on you! :D
[/quote]

I think you'll find I was filling the bass guitar shaped hole in my heart with a lady, and it didn't quite work out :lol:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1361828518' post='1991724']
I think you'll find I was filling the bass guitar shaped hole in my heart with a lady, and it didn't quite work out :lol:
[/quote]

Ah, i see :D

I have also just seen one of your band names is Empyrean. One of my favourite albums of all time is called Empyrean B)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1361828916' post='1991736'] Ah, i see :D I have also just seen one of your band names is Empyrean. One of my favourite albums of all time is called Empyrean B) [/quote]

That's a pretty good start :D

I've also contributed to a project called Goat Bollocks, I don't suppose there's a link there too??

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1361844041' post='1991924']
Probably for the best. It's awful :lol:
[/quote]

Yeah, but then, i am just listening to "Broken Wings" by Mister Mister. Before that was Rock me Amadeus.

Nothing more awful than the 80's i reckon :D

What did you all do? sit around the radio laughing? (until Stairway came on of course).

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1361844375' post='1991925']
Yeah, but then, i am just listening to "Broken Wings" by Mister Mister. Before that was Rock me Amadeus.

Nothing more awful than the 80's i reckon :D

What did you all do? sit around the radio laughing? (until Stairway came on of course).
[/quote]

Much worse!

[url="https://soundcloud.com/goatbollocks/cottage-goat-cheese"]https://soundcloud.c...age-goat-cheese[/url]

(Don't play bass drunk, boys and girls :lol:)

Edited by chrismuzz